“Has potential”

The Highlander
Ranked #888 of 1,464 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Scottish
Reviewed March 8, 2014

The restaurant is pleasantly furnished and clean. The service is good and interactions were warm and pleasing.

The food is reasonably good. The beef pies were good, although not uniformly cooked. The puff pastry was perfectly flaky in places but soggy and undercooked in others. The beef filling was well-flavored and perfectly cooked. The dish was generally delicious. The fish and chips were more American than British, though it managed to be crispy on the outside and moist on the inside, a good balance. The problem is the batter, which is very light and not at all what you would expect - certainly not what you would get in the UK. However this can be improved. I hope they will do it.

Portions were generous and desserts excellent. There is a wide variety of drinks, including a number of British favorites.

I would return and plan to do so. With a little fine tuning, this could be a really good British restaurant.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

We heard some good things about this restaurant so we wanted to try it. I am from New England and love fish & chips. I was expecting some wonderful fish & chips and that didn't happen. The drive was 12 miles from home and it was pouring down rain, we got there at 2:20 PM sign on the door said they closed at 2:30 PM. We went in and asked if it was ok and the owner said , "If you eat fast"! We would have left then and should have really but it was so nasty out and we were hungry.
We didn't really feel welcomed at all but stayed. I had the fish & chips. I was expecting beer battered cod, chips and mashie peas. The fish did not have a beer batter it had some light coating and was over cooked and all the edges were dry and chewy. My chips were under cooked. My husband had Shepard's pie and said it was mostly mashed potatoes.
When were about done the owner finally spoke to us and was nicer but the lunch was already ruined.
I will say this, if you want wonderful fish & chip this is not the place. Go to Smithfield Tavern or Red Robin has nice beer batted cod.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

we just came back from having lunch at the Highlander restaurant. We were very disappointed.
We had to sit and wait for our food for over twenty minutes while the owner/cook sat and talked with her friends before she even began to cook it. The food was average but over priced. The french fries were greasy and the peas over cooked and mushy. Definitely would not go back there!

1  Thank 749judy
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Thank you for making us feel so welcome. Ann you are wonderful, coming back in September for my tea cozy :)

Reviewed May 18, 2013

This place has more of the British Pub feel than the British Bar feel. Place is well lit and inviting. t appears to be recently renovated and feels comfortable. While the Beer and Whiskey selection is spot on, their is a menu for them rather than a bar you order from making it more a home feel.

Scotch eggs were excellent with a double yolk for extra luck! Fish and chips good enough to start a fight. Fresh made potato Chips cut to order. Scotish meat pie and a lot of very English/Scotish dishes on the menu.

They also do British show viewings for popular shows. The Dr. Who Viewings are gaining a strong following and makes for a great place to meet fellow fans.

1  Thank Michael T