“Will come back”

Oceanaire Resort Hotel
Ranked #46 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We went to Virginia Beach from May 30 to June 2 and stayed at Oceanaire Resort after visiting last year and staying at the Ocean Beach Club. I was extremely impressed with the valet guys. They went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and extremely accommodating. The front desk person was also very nice and welcoming. Our room was clean and smelled very good unlike or room at the Ocean Beach Club last year that had a "mildew" smell. I requested a higher floor at reservation and sure enough they provided us with an ocean view floor on the 17th floor. It was great. We received a call from the concierge desk the following morning and requested more coffee. We had the coffee delivered to us within minutes. The only reason I didn't give it an "excellent" review was because our server by the pool seemed a little annoyed and "rushed" to get us out of there. After ordering our first round of drinks she brought the bill even though we wanted to order food and more drinks. Other than that our experience at this hotel was very good and will definitely come back.

Room Tip: An "ocean view" room will still give you a great view of the ocean and it's a little c...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank travel74Travel74
Jason N, General Manager at Oceanaire Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear travel74Travel74,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I apologize for your experience poolside. I will pass your comments along to our F&B Manager for resolution. Thank you for choosing Oceanaire and we hope to see you again during your next visit to Virginia Beach!

Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed in a two bedroom ocean view suite on the 18th floor.
Pros:
-Beautiful room, floor plan was perfect, lots of room, big kitchen and dining table, master bath was very nice with a big shower and tub, big balcony with lots of seating and a great view, quiet, plenty of towels,
- Location is very good. On boardwalk and beach, next to plenty of restaurants, a few shops (mostly tourist t-shirt shops),
-valet parking was easy to use but $16 a night, self parking is $8 and just across the street.

Cons:
-Staff was just adequate,
-Asked concierge for restaurant suggestions and the only ones she suggested were the restaurants the hotel owned. She didn't seem to know much about the rest. Did give us coupons.
-Had trouble with our tv in our room and they sent up an engineer who said he couldn't fix it,
my son ended up fixing it himself.
-Asked for no maid service one day and got it anyway.
-Very small shampoo and body soaps (no hair conditioner) and no robes.
-Check out at 10:00am, they do not have a place to hold your luggage if your flight leaves later.
-Tiki bar closed early because business was slow. Only other bar is inside and more $$.

Room Tip: two bedroom suite great for families with teenagers
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Midwestgirl67
Jason N, General Manager at Oceanaire Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear Midwestgirl67,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We strive to make each stay memorable for all of our guests through providing great service. It looks like we missed the mark with you in a couple of instances. I will pass along your comments to the appropriate managers to review with their teams. That being said, I am glad that you were able to enjoy most of your stay with us. We hope to serve you again during your next trip to Virginia Beach.

Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Bed was horrible. The mattress was the worst I've seen, both my husband and I and my parents had back pain on both nights we stayed there. Pillows are a joke... I folded them to try to have more support and would still wake up every hour to try to adjust it. Room is ridiculously small, they say 4 people when you book it but there was no room to walk between the beds, the bathroom was very small too, and the so called double beds looked more like enlarged twin beds. My husband and I are skinny and barely fit on it. I called the front desk asking for a bigger room, the concierge girl agreed our room was too small for 4 people but said she would have to charge us $182.50 more a night to switch to a "more comfortable room for 4 adults". Why did they label it as a 4 adults room??? My parents are not young to stay in such a horrible room... Also, the pools were disgusting, at 1pm the pool was green and blurred, and they did nothing to make it useable again. Tortuga tiki bar's menu is stupid, and nothing we tried tasted good. And the shower had a horrible "plane turbine" like noise.... Will never come back and will never recommend this to anyone.... Stay away!!!

Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank Priscila S

Dear Priscilla S,

I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. I must say that I was a bit shocked to read about your experience. We use the same mattresses that are used at the Hilton, which is our sister property. The room that you booked appears to be our standard room with 2 double beds and a kitchenette. They are some of the largest standard rooms at the oceanfront in Virginia Beach. We do offer a one bedroom suite which features a queen bed, a pullout queen, living room with dining table and full kitchen. They are much larger and do cost more to rent based on the amenities and size of the unit.

I am a bit dismayed about the pool comment you made as well as the comment about the menu in Tortuga's. The restaurant is open seasonally and offers a casual menu. The menu is designed for speedy service and consists mostly of sandwiches, tacos and salads. I hope that you gave our team the opportunity to correct the issues you experienced by contacting a manager on duty to discuss your concerns. We do apologize for your experience. Though you did not enjoy our property as much as we would wish, I encourage you to look at other properties in our portfolio that may better suit your needs during a future visit to Virginia Beach.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

The resort is great. It has a great location on the "strip". The only draw back was the constant flights of the near by naval air station and the training flights of the Blue Angels and other types of aircraft which are deafening. The staff is very attentive. The restaurant Big Italy is very good and just across the street.

Room Tip: we were on the 7th floor room 24 A. We had an ocean view, not ocean front. Which I actually preferre...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear beachgoers10,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Virginia Beach is home to the Patriotic Festival each year over Memorial Day weekend. The Blue Angels are featured in the annual airshow during the festival. We look forward to serving you again during your next trip to Virginia Beach!

Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

We greatly enjoyed our weekend stay. The two room suite setup was perfect for my parents to sleep in one room and my son and I in the other. Fantastic kitchen and wonderful location. Walked to my favorite local hole in the wall awesome seafood joint, Nick's.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Tufshuz

Dear Tufshuz,

I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us! Our two bedroom suites are great for family getaways. I am glad that we were in close proximity to your favorite restaurant. I have not had the chance to eat at Nick's yet but I may do just that after reading your description. :-) We look forward to serving you again during your next trip to Virginia Beach.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

The resort makes a lovely impression from the outside. The atmosphere is hip and trendy, the rooms are nicely appointed. The Junior Suites is likely the smallest room I've ever stayed in and for the price charged to stay, it was a huge disappointment. The resort staff were Friendly and all smiles, however no one is empowered to go out of their way to resolve guests concerns. They rely heavily on the surroundings for their guests happiness. The pool area is equipped with flags that one raises when wanting to get the attention of the staff. In the three days of my stay, I could not get one glance from a pool attendant unless I walked to the bar myself. The indoor pool area is very small and tight on a bad weather day. They do offer two indoor pools with the other being more kid oriented. There is a lovely 10th floor sun deck but the music is programmed to annoying Oldies and when I asked the attendant if he could change, he said No. He did offer to turn off since I was the only one on the deck, he never delivered or came back to tell me he couldn't. After settling in for a day, we agreed the location of the facility is ideal-quietly located a few blocks North of the VA beach action. There are other facilities adjacent to this property that, for the money could likely deliver
an equal or better experience.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Shopnalot

Dear shopnalot,

I am dissapointed to hear that you were not staisfied with portions of your stay. I will pass along your comments about poolside and 10th floor deck service to the appropriate managers. Regarding your comment about the music on the 10th floor, we do have a set standard of what we are allowed to play in that area. I apologize that we were unable to accomodate your request for different music. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you during your next trip to Virginia Beach.

Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

My experience at the Oceanaire resort was great. Everyone that worked there was very friendly and helpful. The room itself was really nice and very clean. The only thing I could think off that wasn't good was the door to the room I had was a bit difficult to push open almost like there was a lot of resistance in the mechanism that makes sure tge door closes, this was only a very minor inconvenience and the only reason I am mentioning it is because I'm fairly strong and it was still very noticeable to me. Overall my time at the Oceanaire resort was great and definitely worth going again.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Will R
Jason N, General Manager at Oceanaire Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2014

Dear Will R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. I appreciate you bringing the door closure to our attention. I will certainly pass your comment along to our engineering team for resolution. We look forward to serving you again during your next trip to Virginia Beach!