“I understand the mixed reviews!!! Photo's Misleading!!!”

Oceanaire Resort Hotel
Ranked #44 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was looking forward to staying at a new property on the beach with a kitchen and beautiful beach views but became concerned when I kept reading reviews about poor housekeeping and people not getting the room they paid for. I decided to call the hotel and confirm I would be getting an Oceanfront view because the view is my main priority. I was traveling from Las Vegas and did not want to be disappointed. Unfortunately I was very disappointed!! The big window across from the kitchen in the living room that faces the ocean in their professional photo's was not what I got. I got a wall of balconies and people on their balcony. It was so intrusive that I had to close my curtains!! Just what I wanted to sit in the living room or cook at the beach with my curtains closed. Dark and depressing!! I have picture's if I can figure out how to include them. The actual balcony I had off the bedroom was a disappointment also. It looks out towards the Ocean however the view is lost to the lounge chairs just below my room and the fact that there is no wall between your balcony and your neighbors you can actually hand them a drink from your balcony. Almost any other beachfront property with a balony is superior to this property for a view. I went downstairs and spoke to a very pleasant gentleman that seemed to understand but a very rude female front desk clerk proceeded to take over and told me very sarcastically that nothing else was available. I explained that I called in advance but she didn't seem to care so I told her I would check out the very next morning then. I was intending to stay for five nights but that did not seem to concern her at all. There was a previous comment on trip advisor about a glue smell in the room that I can confirm I smelled it also. I also had to contend with a wet spot on the carpet in the hallway by the bathroom that I had to walk around or get my feet wet. To top it off I decided to make a cup of coffee but the coffee pot was dirty still from the previous guest. It just turned me off and I just gave up at that point. I personally will never stay at this property again. I will state as previous reviews did that the gentlemen in valet are very nice. The adult pool also looked inviting and at the pool adjoining this property there were movies on the wall for children. If your looking for a view good luck you might get lucky!! If that doesn't matter and you don't mind cleaning you may enjoy some of the other things the property offers.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank rainbow92

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Ok I was very skeptical about staying here after reading the reviews, however overall I am grateful we did! They do have some wrinkles to iron out with the front desk. I made a reservation requesting a quiet room (after reading the reviews). They put us next to the hotel guest laundry room ($2.00 for washer $2.00) for dryer fyi), and above these generator fans people were complaining about. So I went back down and they apologized and were going to move us to the same room only 5 floors higher, so I said forget it. Here is the interesting part though, of course when you are on the balcony those fans are loud, but when the sliding door is closed you cannot hear it (at least not in my room we couldn't). So it really wasn't noisy at all! If you like martinis, go to the Ultra Martini lounge, get the key lime martini it was A-m-A-z-i-n-g! I didn't have to wait for elevators really, plus there are stairs that go directly outside. The adults’ only indoor pool is really beautiful! Plus, there are 3 other pools, another indoor one at the Ocean Beach Club, and 2 outside, but really one is a kiddie pool. They also have towel service at the pools which was nice. The staff for the tiki bar was a little slow, but then again, there were a lot of people there. Ok, the maids did come but at the strangest hours, they would come between 1 and 6 pm??? I didn't care though, we just got towels if we needed them and toilet paper, and you can call the front desk & they will bring them up if the maids didn't come yet. No biggie :) There is a great breakfast place right across the street called Pocahontas, they are only open until 1 though, and one the weekends there was a major line out the door. The bed was small, they say a queen, but I am thinking maybe it's only a full size idk, either way it was comfortable and new! Also, might I add, the Ocean view Suite (with the full kitchen) was really beautiful, with its modern decor and amenities! Also, there is a blu-ray/dvd player in both rooms, we walked to Harris Teeter Grocery Market on 28th St., maybe 3 blocks away from the beach & went to the red box to rent a movie, (they have some free at the front desk, if you ask but they were all cheesy ones). There is a safe in the room also, which was comforting. Plus, on the Ocean Beach side they have a rental place, you can rent a surf board (I wasn't brave enough), roller blades (I did, but wouldn't recommend, because the skates are over used & hurt my foot, got blisters), and bikes. Overall, I think the staff was very nice, the room was beautiful, the maids did a fine service, just at weird times.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank blueskiesed
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My partner and I were celebrating our 3rd anniversary and found this place on a lark. We thought the prices were a bit high, but we took a chance since it was a special occasion. (Our rate was about $300/night for a 1 bedroom oceanview suite.)

Here's what we discovered:

- Very few employees have more than a few weeks' experience at the hotel. Our bellman was quite efficient with our bags, but knew very little about the hotel itself. Sure, it's a new place, but turnover in staff seems to be high. As a result, it's hard to find someone who knows anything about the hotel, about the hours of amenities, or the intricacies of the hotel itself. Overall, I didn't get a feeling of commitment to the property from the staff.

- The suite was nice. Not wow nice, but nice. As others have mentioned, the Queen bed seemed a little smaller than the Queen we have at home. The towels are pretty, but a little thin and small for the caliber resort it claims to be. And like others have said, the venting of the air conditioning on the smallish balcony was just poor planning. The bathroom was elegant, but the mirror was miles away from the counter's edge, making it hard to apply make-up (there was no other mirror) and it lacked a sufficient number of towel bars and/or hooks if we were staying a week with a family.

- I was encouraged by the low price for WiFi (really, it should be part of the room at those prices) at $4.95 a day. But while we were there, it did not work one day and the next day, the signal was so weak, it was not worth fiddling with it! I was told I could get free WiFi next door in the lobby, but that was not convenient.

- I'm not a child person so I really appreciated the over 21 pool and hot tub. But the hallways could really do with some industrial rugs to soak up the excess water from people walking around with wet feet... especially since there are ramps. Putting the yellow wet floor warnings out do little to actively stop someone from falling and busting their head open.

Room Tip: Until they sell more timeshares, the 10th floor club room has a FANTASTIC sun deck that's open t...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mia_My_O
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Ocean Aire for 4 nights from September 6-10, 2012. Surprisingly, this place was about $40 cheaper than our normal annual accommodations at about $136 per night. The Ocean Aire is a new hotel, built in 2011, and a part of the Gold Key Resorts group. I searched online and all of their VA Beach hotels appear to be beautiful, and the Ocean Aire did not disappoint.

The building and grounds were really nice, and arguably the nicest on the boardwalk. The flowers and palm trees lined the boardwalk adjacent to the 2 indoor and 2 outdoor swimming pools. One of the pools is geared towards children with various kid friendly activities and one of the indoor pools is adult only with a large hot tub. The rocking chairs and fire pit overlooking the beach is a nice feature that allows for great people-watching.

There is not a full service restaurant, but there is a light fare menu at the poolside Tiki Bar. There are very friendly waitresses that serve you at your pool chaise. There is a small snack cart poolside as well. We did not eat here, so I cannot attest to the quality or taste.

There is a Martini Bar in the lobby of the Ocean Aire. It is an intentionally darkened, couch filled, lounge with a nice jazz atmosphere. We had one drink our first evening to toast to the beginning of our vacation. The martinis were quite expensive ($11 or $12).

The fitness center was on the 17th floor of the Beach Club Hotel, which is the sister hotel in the building next door. This hotel also shares the pools. The gym was sleek, with several elliptical and weight machines and much nicer than the standard hotel fitness centers. The location was great with large windows that overlook the beach.

The hotel was really nice but the staff is the jewel of this hotel. We had exchanges with the valet, concierge, front desk staff, bartender, waitresses, housekeeping, and maintenance and every one of them were courteous, friendly and delivered greetings at every interaction. They held elevator doors, asked how our day was, asked if we needed anything at every opportunity. We were thoroughly impressed and it made our stay that much better. The staff was the best asset of the Ocean Aire. They are simply wonderful.

The Cons: The push to buy a timeshare. The front desk told me to see the concierge for my "Welcome Packet". This was simply a ploy for the concierge to explain how I can get 2 nights, 3 days stay if I take a tour with a Gold Key associate to discuss time share opportunities. The packet was merely a couple coupon books that I could get on the local street corner box. I refused the tour and was never bothered again.

The parking garage was a block away. They do offer valet at $14 a day, but we chose to self-park at half the price. This really wasn't a big deal for us, but for those who like their vehicle closer, it may be.

The lack of a full service restaurant is disappointing, but no big deal as there are many within walking distance.

We really enjoyed our stay and will, most likely, stay again as long as the prices stay competitive.

Room Tip: Avoid the concierge's "welcome packet", if you do not want to be bothered with time sh...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Silvifd
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This resort is a Wonderful new resort with many stylish modern features. We have stayed there twice this year. We stayed a week in June and just got back from an extended weekend. We love the "piper" two bedroom suites on the 5th floor. It is totally oceanfront. The only negatives we noticed are a few of the front desk workers are rude esspecially Mari or Mari and the lady bartender needs an attitude adjustment, no room service,bars close relatively early and they charge for the Internet. The rooms can run near $700 a night so the 4.95 Internet fee is crazy. Also the adult pool is great but unfortunately the layout of the first floor is such that bothers are constantly back and forth in the lobby making the floor soaking wet. Please, don't let my negative comments stop you from booking at Oceanaire because it is very nice for Virginia Beach.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We just got back from our trip to the Oceanaire Resort, and I only have 2 things to complain about, the first thing are the "Queen Beds", very small, felt more like double bed, especially if you are used to a king bed. And the 2nd is the early check out @10am and the hotel didn't do any late check outs on Friday's- we were waiting for the guy to take our luggage down for 15min! Other than that it's a nice hotel, my 3 year old really enjoyed the kiddi pool. The hotel staff was nice and we even got to check in right when we got there @1pm, didn't have to wait until 4pm to check in time! I would stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I made multiple attempts to share my feedback with the Manager on Duty who was no where to be found. I was even frustrated further by the fact that i waited poolside for almost an hour to share the feedback of my stay and the manager still did not come and find me. Feedback is as follows The front desk staff was overwhelmed everytime I stopped by ...and it frustrated the guests. My room keys got turned off while we were at the beach..so i had to go back down only busy operating elevator to the overwhelmed front desk staff to get new ones made while my family stood in the hall way upstairs waiting. Our room was TINY for a supposedly Deluxe Double the baseplates were falling off the wall, the cheap cabinet face was coming unglued off one of the cabinets and the phone did not work. Again i reported to maintenance and attempted to report to the Management yet to no avail. The AC Vents all the hotair right onto the center of the balcony so that is unusable. We had to look at the ocean from inside or prop a beachtowel up to block the air.
So i feel that i must tell all all of my friends and colleagues to steer clear of the Oceanaire as they have clearly missed the mark for Quality and Customer Service. Next time I will stay with Wyndham for the money.

• Stayed: August 2012