“Cheap & I MEAN CHEAP wannabe W like Hotel with Terrible Customer Service”

Oceanaire Resort Hotel
Ranked #41 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I made multiple attempts to share my feedback with the Manager on Duty who was no where to be found. I was even frustrated further by the fact that i waited poolside for almost an hour to share the feedback of my stay and the manager still did not come and find me. Feedback is as follows The front desk staff was overwhelmed everytime I stopped by ...and it frustrated the guests. My room keys got turned off while we were at the beach..so i had to go back down only busy operating elevator to the overwhelmed front desk staff to get new ones made while my family stood in the hall way upstairs waiting. Our room was TINY for a supposedly Deluxe Double the baseplates were falling off the wall, the cheap cabinet face was coming unglued off one of the cabinets and the phone did not work. Again i reported to maintenance and attempted to report to the Management yet to no avail. The AC Vents all the hotair right onto the center of the balcony so that is unusable. We had to look at the ocean from inside or prop a beachtowel up to block the air.
So i feel that i must tell all all of my friends and colleagues to steer clear of the Oceanaire as they have clearly missed the mark for Quality and Customer Service. Next time I will stay with Wyndham for the money.

• Stayed: August 2012
6  Thank TRIRAGE
There are newer reviews for Oceanaire Resort Hotel

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I booked a last minute Labor Day weekend at this property. I was very hesitant after reading the reviews. However, I needed an oceanfront suite at the last minute. I like the north end of the beach. There is plenty to do, but it isn't as congested as farther south. A great area for families. Other reviews cite construction. I didn't see nor hear any construction. The parking in the next block wasn't a big deal to me. I was able to get to our car in two minutes if need be. I think people should go knowing this isn't a traditional hotel. It is a timeshare property. There were two people at most at the front desk. However, I never felt it was understaffed. Most of the time I walked right up without wait. The staff was friendly. I think once I had two wait behind two other people. No big deal. I think this property has the best landscaping by far on the boardwalk. The 10th floor owners lounge is huge and modern. It is indoor and outdoor. The decor reminds me of an urban nightclub. Arrived at noon. No, our room wasn't ready. But it was ready before 4pm which is the official check in time. The staff will call you on your cell phone when the room is ready. We stayed in an oceanfront one bedroom suite. My wife and kids loved the room. The living room was actually larger than what we anticipated. We enjoyed the floor to ceiling windows overlooking the boardwalk and the ocean. The view was great for watching the morning sunrise over the Atlantic. 42 inch flat screen TVs and DVD player in both the living room and the bedroom. The bedroom had a safe, and a private balcony we used to watch fireworks. The kitchen had an oven, stove with smooth cooktop, full size refrigerator, an island with a sink, full dishwasher, coffee maker, blender, pots and pans, plates, bowls, flatware. So we saved money by cooking in. The unit also had a broom with dust pan, and a small vacuum. The single bathroom was nicely appointed with dual sinks. The only drawback was that the bathroom door between the bathroom and bedroom had frosted glass. So anyone using the bathroom at night might disturb people sleeping in the bedroom. Bed linen was fine. Again, this is a timeshare property. I believe they clean the rooms twice per week. However, they stopped by our room daily to see if we needed ANYTHING so we changed towels, etc. All the hotel staff was very friendly. We simply didn't get the welcome kit. No hard sell to go on a timeshare tour. However, the concierge was helpful in helping me find cigar shops. As far as them recommending restaurants they own - why wouldn't they? I simply used TripAdvisor to find an ideal restaurant to fit our needs. I'm very glad that we booked our stay here. We all had a ball, and we agreed it was a top tier property on VA Beach. The pools were a little congested, but that didn't get in our way. We would have no problem returning to Oceanaire.

Room Tip: I called in advance to confirm that my room was oceanfront. They did so, and my room was what we an...
1  Thank WoodRVA
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I just got back from my trip and at first was very concerned about staying at this hotel due to the reviews. I actually called the hotel about it and asked why the negative reviews. They reasured me that any issues are being addressed. I told them in advance I will be giving them a review and one of my main concerns was getting stuck with a bad view from my hotel room and I requested the North side. Jay was very helpful and put my request in and also honored a group rate for my room. The hotel is beautiful but smaller than the sister hotel. This hotel is ideal for couples without children. If you are with a family I would recommend the sister hotel which is larger and more kid friendly. It is almost annoying that you cannot use the adult facilites like the pool and lounge when they look so nice, and you would have to go next door to swim with your kids anyway. Regarding the views, you really have to get an ocean front room for best views or the North side and only the first few rows (near the oceanaire sign on side of building). I had a room (520A) on the north side and it was the very last group and quite honestly, it was a small partial view of the ocean, I really saw the Sheraton and the street down below (this was the only dissapointment I had or this review would be Excellent instead of very good). Also, I was not told the upper deck was not open and it is questionable on whether guests can go to the higher floors, I would question this as they may be saving this for time share guests only. The other thing is if they let you up higher may be more of the North side view rooms would have better views (as the Sheraton is not that tall of a building). They told me it was not ready. Just so you are aware, requests for North side are on that last row I was in. Highest paying customers or customers they need to upgrade due to unavailability get first crack at Northside rooms. I believe they will be more successful if they call it what it is (partial ocean view) and charge accordingly. You really do not want to pay full price for these rooms, when a few doors down they have a much better view. Other than that, poor design for entry of building, the adult pool is right there so the floors are always wet when you walk in. Should also have more elevators. Parking is across the street but we had no issues at all. The staff is so very freindly and helpful, nicest people running that place. Also, The rooms are cleaned daily and when I asked when they clean they told me from 3-5, I believe they probably will need more staff in this area as check in is late (might be sharing with sister hotel staff) 4 PM. We checked in at 4:30 and did have a wait. I chalk this up to growing pains and short staff. With corrections in this area it will be perfect. All in all lovely rooms, great access to everything, friendly staff, I would stay here or sister property again! One other note on food, try to go outside the restaurants across the street not so good!

Room Tip: Oceanfront only, or North side first few rooms facing ocean (ie. higher numbers like 524 and up)
1  Thank Mary B
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My family and I stayed at the OceanAire Hotel for five nights last week. We decided to splurge on a family vacation and wanted to stay at a beautiful "four star" hotel for our first ever visit to Virginia Beach. We paid a rate that should have been commensurate with an excellent hotel and based upon the beautiful photos on the hotel website, we were really looking forward to enjoying a wonderful experience. So, let's start with what is good about this hotel; the location is great and look of the property is beautiful. The music played in the lobby makes you feel like you are entering a 1960s glamorous lounge. The good pretty much stops there.
I am not sure how this hotel has received a four-star rating, as from the cramped footprint of the common and pool areas and the disappointing views from the “ocean view suites” to poor service to the lack of amenities; it is far from a luxury hotel. I have never had to call the front desk with so many issues during a hotel stay in my life. Put simply, if you enjoy dealing with unprofessional front-desk staff (that is when you could actually get someone to help you) and a lack of amenities and poor service (no room service, no spa, difficulty connecting to internet access despite having to pay a fee for it, difficulty getting bar service at the pool, unresponsive staff at the beach chair rental kiosk) then this is the place for you! Add to that the fact that this 18-floor hotel has only two elevators (you get to spend lots of quality time waiting in the lobby and every time you venture out with crowds of other guests) and is significantly understaffed; the day-to-day experience of staying at this hotel gets more and more frustrating the longer you are a guest there. We were awoken between 1:00 and 3:00am on four of our five nights there by drunken guests making noise in the hallways and slamming doors. I made several attempts to speak with a manager during our stay, only to be told that it would be a “10-15 minute wait” to speak to someone at the front desk. When calling the extension from the room that is supposed to connect you directly with a member of management, you get only a voicemail. A few other items to note: upon checkout, a fellow guest shared a photo of a large cockroach that had been in her room the night before, at one point during our stay, the restroom at the indoor pool was littered with trash and the toilet and floor were smeared with feces making it unusable. We had to request basic items for our room on more than one occasion (bedding for the foldaway couch, coffee for the in-room coffee maker, maid service after having been out all day and returning to find that our room had still not been serviced (we were told they prioritize the rooms of guests who have already checked out). As if this list isn’t already long enough, the nail in the coffin for us was the fact that when we did ask for something or make a complaint, we were met with staff that either didn’t really care about resolving the issue, or gave us an outright attitude. This to me is not the mark of even a decent hotel, much less a four-star resort. On several occasions when calling the front desk, the phone would ring 25 to 30 times with no answer, or would finally be answered by someone from the adjacent Ocean Beach Club who was unable to assist guests at the OceanAire. I realize that the hotel is new and they probably need some time to work out the kinks, but to me this should be the time they try even harder to go above and beyond for their guests. With the exception of three members of the concierge and valet staff and one nice server from the bar, we never even had anyone ask us how our stay was or apologize for the inconveniences we encountered. By contrast, during out stay and the Grand Hyatt in Washington DC on our way home, we encountered a more professional and attendant staff in our first five minutes than we did during our entire five-day stay at the OceanAire. My advice if you would like a nice experience at a Virginia Beach hotel, try the Hilton!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
3  Thank BPRLMR
Reviewed August 31, 2012

First and foremost is service with a smile and OceanAire staff has it all day and night. I travel 20+ weeks a year and normally I can't wait to get home, not my last trip. I did not want to leave, great pools, great beach, Great rooms. Great Hotel.

Room Tip: One bedroom suites are the way to go. Full kitchen, fully stocked with pots and pans. Eat one meal a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We booked a stay at the Oceanaire using the stay 4 nights get the 5th free deal. We booked the Oceanfront room, paying more because we wanted to see the ocean and have a balcony that looked out at the ocean. We drove up and the bell staff unloaded our car. We checked in and he took our stuff to our room and as soon as we walked in we knew we were given the wrong room with a view of the Sheraton and not the ocean. He left our stuff on the cart and told us to let him know when we get our room straitened out and he will come back (very courteous.) The front desk girl told us that the wrong room was the call centers mistake. Not our problem. The manager, Josh, got on the phone and offered us $50 off a night. Honestly, we would not have stayed here for that though because we wanted oceanfront. We understood that he did not have any oceanfront rooms but wanted them to move us when one became available so after the first 2 nights the manager said he could move us to an oceanfront one bedroom and showed us a similar model room. The model room although a big, impressive room did not have ideal views but we were guaranteed our room would be better. It definitely was. I couldn't have asked for a better room. So although we were not happy with the room the first 2 nights this room was beyond what we would have needed with a full kitchen and beautiful floor to ceiling windows that looked at the beach. We made breakfast at the room in the morning and sat on the balcony. It was great.
A couple other things that should be mentioned. The valet is $14 a day. We just stayed with the $7 a day parking and walked a short distance to our car. No big deal. I do think that they shouldn't charge you per day for valet when you really are not getting your car each day. Just a suggestion for the hotel though. Another annoying thing, they said the concierge had a welcome pack for us. We knew their gimmick was to get you to do a timeshare presentation so were cautious and just got the welcome pack and left. It was a book similar to the one we picked up at the local drug store. Do not bother with the welcome pack. Do not ask the concierge for restaurant ideas because they will only plug their own restaurants. Due to our room mix up the manager had also given us a gift certificate to their restaurants and we went to the Catch 31 which was very good. It was pricey but we had a $75 gift certificate and the oysters rockefeller was really good.
Another comment I would like to make is about the maid staff. The room was very new and for the most part clean. But the maid knocked on the door at 9 AM until we woke up and answered. Good thing we had a bolt lock on or they probably would have walked in. They then slipped something under our door to say that we did not want our room cleaned and to call if we needed anything. They should have waited and come back at 11. Sometimes people want to sleep in on vacation!
The pool is beautiful and was great during the rainy days. I loved that it was over 21. You can also use the Ocean Beach club pools but they were geared towards children so it was nice to have a pool for the adults. One improvement that could be made at the pool is that the staff should patrol the pool area and remove any towels that sit on the chairs for a long time. Some people are not as considerate as we are and leave stuff there all day. We saw people looking for places to put their stuff and offered to share our mini chair. This was only an issue on the days when it rained because otherwise the glass doors were open to the outside with plenty more chairs available.
When we packed up our stuff we asked for a luggage cart to be brought to our room. We wanted to pack our own things on the cart. The guy left it with us to pack ourselves with out a problem. When we got downstairs, someone who we assumed was a manager of the valet men, seemed a little upset because we did not follow the hotels policy. They are not supposed to leave the carts in our room. If that is what is easier for the guest then they should allow that. We still tipped the guy that brought it to our room and he was very helpful the whole time.
Overall the hotel is beautiful. The room they put us in after complaining was so impressive that if I lived closer I would have considered a timeshare (or sitting through their presentation that we would not even let them tell us about.) Make sure you tell them if they put you in the wrong room and don't overpay for something less! Josh was helpful in getting that resolved after a little arguing but overall very helpful. The one other person that stood out to us was the bellman that we dealt with throughout our stay, Brandon. He was a really nice guy and great for useful recommendations. I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BroadStreetBullies
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My family stayed for 5 nights last week and driving up to the hotel we were quite impressed! It is beautiful!

The doormen/valet were super friendly however they needed more manpower. We arrived at 6pm after a 6 hour drive and there was a line of cars to unload/park that was 8 deep. I left my husband and kids in the car while I ran in to check-in. There was only 1 poor woman at the desk and she was swamped. I waited at least 30 minutes to check-in, but she was very friendly and apologetic. I ran back out to my husband and told him to do valet so we could get 3 very tired and cranky kids upstairs. It was quite expensive ($14/day) but I felt it was worth it for our situation.

We had a ocean-view suite and while it was beautiful, it was cramped for the 5 of us. As some other reviews state, it was ocean-view when I looked out and to the left, but when I looked straight I saw the Ocean Beach Club and when I looked down I saw dumpsters and porta-pottys.

The room was very clean however the faucet on our bathtub was broken, it fell off the wall anytime you touched it. The cleaning people said they would tell maintenance, but apparently never did as my husband ended up fixing it himself on the 3rd day.

We asked the concierge for recommendations for family-friendly dining and he only referred us to restaurants owned by the hotel. However, the places within walking distance to the hotel are fabulous!

They advertised a business center but told my husband they didn't have one when he asked. The pools were nice. We spent the mornings at the beach and the evenings at the pool and never had trouble finding chairs. The folding chairs on the beach are free but you do need to get up early to save them.

It was a nice hotel and I am hoping they are still working out the kinks since it just opened. I do plan on going back and giving it one more try.

1  Thank dvonherb