“Overpriced, underwhelming”

Cactus Jack's Southwest Grill
Ranked #48 of 1,459 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Southwestern, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome, future guests! Virginia Beach oceanfront's newest restaurant Located at 2736 Atlantic Ave. Just steps from the beach, Cactus Jack's is a new and exciting addition to the Virginia Beach waterfront. Relax in confront on our shade covered patio, or retreat indoors where our stylish decor is truly one of a kind. Colorful light resonates throughout the interior, creating a vibrant and festive atmosphere that is built for those who are looking to have a really good time! Our menu, created by Chef Nate Orlando, features southwestern inspired cuisines made with the freshest of ingredients, in addition to traditional American favorites. House made guacamole made to order, an extensive variety of tacos, burritos and a juicy Jack's burger are just a small sampling of our mouthwatering fare. We also have some incredible entrees of Fresh Seafood, Steaks, and once in a lifetime dishes. Cactus Jacks looks forward to helping you find the perfect dish of your choice! We have incredible Specialty Cocktails including many different types of Margaritas, Tropical Drinks, Sangria, and Mojitos. Cactus Jacks is the perfect destination for every occasion, whether it be Saturday night drinks, happy hour, or a weekday lunch or dinner. We pride ourselves on our friendly, fun atmosphere and the creativity that goes into every dish and drink that we serve.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Maybe I made a mistake by not ordering the Mexican food. However, I like my Mexican basic and authentic. I love carnitas and tacos al pastor, but when I saw pickled blueberries and blueberry BBQ were on the pork taco, I was turned off. Steak tacos with not just French fries, but also horseradish, tomato aioli, and guacamole in them? Is your steak so dry it really needs 3 sauces? Offer the gringos some exotic nopales, not some Iron Chef wannabe toppings.

Ended up getting a cheeseburger which tasted great, but the presentation was lacking. Huge square plate with open faced burger on one half, about 20 fries looking lonely on the other half. At first glance, I questioned the $11.50 price tag. Daughter ordered hot wings which she said were greasy and not particularly hot. A friend ordered a salad with crab meat, which the waitress described as a "good sized portion." I have never seen such a small salad, even in restaurants which offer "half size" portions. If another friend hadn't shared her fries (her plate came out with double the fries mine did), she would have left hungry.

Service was rather inattentive. Food came out in fits and starts, leaving everyone with the dilemma of whether to dig in, or wait and eat cold food. Once the food was dropped off, it took the waitress a good 10 minutes to bring over the catsup we requested. I never did get a drink refill. The music is loud, which I wouldn't mind if I were there for drinks, but for early diners, maybe turn it down a bit.

Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were here on this past Saturday for happy hr! We loved this place! There tacos are soooo good! Really they are!! margaritas great also! Very nice lounge feel and decor to it! Definetly will return!!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Have never eaten here before so visited on the off chance and was not disappointed. The service and food was excellent. I visited here with 9 of my work colleagues, 3 of which thought they could eat anything hot! A challenge went down as Cactus Jacks do wings which are aptly named "insanity". My 3 colleagues could only eat 3 out of the 6 wings that were served to them as an appetiser as there faces had melted!!! If you like hot wings then this is the place to try. Well worth a visit and was cheap.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We spean time at viginiabeach and had lunch once and dinner once at Cactus,
Fun staff, great fun, and fantastic location!!!
The food was amazing the service was fantastic, the staff gave you time and they are so friendly always ready to tel you about V. Beach and what to do and what to see...
I look forward to visit again

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stopped in here for dinner, early on a beautiful Spring day. They were not busy, and service was very prompt and friendly. Servers, appears all ladies, are not outwardly provocative but might raise the eyebrows of a more conservative clientele as they were quite attractive and their outfits were flattering. No problems here.

My associate and I opened with Ahi tuna bites. They were handled absolutely correctly, light sear but close to sushi quality on the inside. He ordered the avacado crab which looked terrific and he certainly enjoyed it. I opted for the special, a blackened Rockfish (striper to some). It came with a house hot sauce which our server warned was very hot. It was perfect! The combination of the hot sauce and blackening created an exquisite balance of heat, especially a second and a half after the bite; hence my title. That chef knows how to put it together. It was served with garlic mashed and asparagus and those were the most tender asparagus I've had in a long time. No pain there. And you are only a block away from the boardwalk where you can stroll or rent a bike to either work up an appetite or burn-off a bit of the dinner. Highly recommend.