“Just about perfect--we'll be back!!!”
Review of Ocean Suites

Ocean Suites
Ranked #63 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 29, 2009

We loved this place. Boyfriend and I arrived in VB (our first time there) after 9:00 on Friday nite--with no reservations anywhere. Just thought we would take our chances on finding a place. No doubt about it--we hit the jackpot staying here. Had originally planned on only staying two nights, but we loved our room and the beach so much that we decided to stay an extra night. Christina at the front desk was great, she went above and beyond the call of duty to shuffle things around so that we could stay in the same room for the added night-(A big thanks to her). The room was perfect for us. A queen bedroom, bathroom, living area with a flat screen TV and a kitchenette. The bedroom is not huge, but I would not call it cramped by any stretch of the imagination. Because we wanted the ocean breeze and to hear the ocean at night, we pulled out the sofa sleeper and made it up with extra sheets from the closet and slept very well there for two nights. The outside of the hotel is older, but the room was very nice-and clean! I also have to add that the entire staff is so friendly, always got a smile and a greeting and wishing you a nice day or nice evening, even the day we left they wished us a safe trip home! We didn't use the pool because it got afternoon sun and we on the beach by then, but we did see a lot of people using it. Everything you need is right across the street.
Yes, the one elevator is older and slow--No big deal!
Yes, the lobby is small, again-No big deal!
No continental breakfast, room service etc....--No big deal!
The beautiful view, the location on the boardwalk, the friendly staff all this for the price we paid was almost a steal. We will most definitely be back to VB and Ocean Suites!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 24, 2009

My husband and I satyed here July 12-17 and it was wonderful ! We had the Queen bed room. The outside is older but inside is new ! Room was well decorated and VERY clean. There was always someone cleaning.TVs were nice too not that wwe spent much time watching with all the other stuff to do. The staff were all pleasant. We had to call the desk because we needed and extra pillow and a remote for the bedroom tv it was there almost immediately. The elevator is slow but who cares. We never had to wait to long.And we were told that they were updating it next year. We watched dolphins everyday from out balcony. Awesome location for everything ! We were in a great location for the fireworks. It is right where the Beach Street activities happen. We went down on the streets every evening and watched all the stuff that Virginia Beach puts on !
The cost was good also. If we go back we will stay here again. Not sure why people write some of the bad reviews. These are hotels not your home. And besides that we were there for the beach and the fun. Slept in the room. Never went to the pool but we could see it from out door and it was clean and not a bad size, but frankly I wanted the Ocean & Sand. Hope this helps someone ! Go and have a Blast !! I just can't say enough !

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2009

This hotel is BY FAR the worst in all of virginia beach. I am a frequent traveler, and stay in many hotels. I have been to virginia beach over a 100 times and have stayed in many different hotels. This time, me and my friends wanted an ocean front hotel. I found a special on some website for Ocean Suites and booked my stay for 3 days.
From the actual room, to the service i received was HORRIBLE.
First and foremost, there was bugs in our rooms and flys that wouldnt leave. We were forced to close our balcony bc of how many insects kept flying in. (mind you, i have stayed in oceanfront hotels and never had an insect problem)
Secondly, the room was TINY! You literally are squished in this small room that has a door to an even tinier livingroom/kitchen. Not worth the $200 you are paying nightly---whatsoever!
And last but certainly not the least, the service we received was AWFUL. Once I checked out, I wanted to do a last swipe of the hotel to make sure I didnt leave behind any of my personal belongings. While I was doing just that, a supervisor by the name of BILL C decided to barge in the room and scream at me for being up there. I literally was in complete shock. I asked him why he was talking to me like that and he said you are no longer a guest at this hotel. I couldnt believe it. I told him I would report him (which Ive done) and he proceeded to say that he didnt care. What type of service is this?
THIS HOTEL IS HORRIBLE, DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2009

Pros: I agree with all the other reviews...It is one of the BEST views down there. Gorgeous! Great price compared to others. Location was perfect! Right on the beach. Right in the middle of the boardwalk. Restaurants, shops, put-put golf, pier, all within walking distance. Has parking. Room was very clean and newly renovated. Small, but for the price and being right on the beach, it's worth it. Full fridge, stove, breakfast area. In July they have Fireworks right off the water. You can watch them right from your balcony, best seats in the house.

Cons: ONE elevator. Lots of waiting, depending on time of day. No lobby. Very little staff. Again long waits if you need something. But helpful and nice. Don't come for the pool. Only three people can fit. But what do you need a pool for? The beach is just two steps away. If you're looking to relax, this is not the place. It's VERY noisy. From the street performances to the naval jet planes every 5 minutes. But we still got some sleep. The ocean will wear you out!

Couple take-aways: BEST restaurant: Luna Sea, this place rocks! Just off the main street. Hall-of-mirrors, on the main drag...what a rip off! Stay away, even if the kids think it's cool. At $6 a pop, save your money and hit the arcade, now that was fun. And they have all the old school games. Donkey Kong, Frogger, etc. Get a cheap wave runner, it's a blast. Every store has them. And last, but NOT least, the best store down there...Coastal Edge surf shop. Very cool, hip clothes, shades, flip-flops, etc. Hope this helps your decision. Overall good time!! We'll be back.

Reviewed July 13, 2009

Positives: great location, rooms are quiet with thick walls, cosmetic renovations have taken place, kitchenette, A/C worked ok, desk staff nice and helpful, value pricing.

Negatives: bedrooms is VERY cramped, housekeeping does not vacuum or sweep the floors, do not disturb signs are ignored, our safe did not work, bathroom fan vents to the hallway so you get undesirable smells in the halls, furniture tired/dated.

I would recommend going someplace else.

Reviewed July 12, 2009

Be surprised. From the outside you might be worried when you pull up to this hotel. The outside has been weathered and painted over but go on in. Most of the rooms is this hotel are two room suites which can acomadate from couples up to a family of 6. Some rooms have a set bunk beds along with a great pillow top Queen size double along side of it for the couple that wants to keep an eye on the kids at nite to rooms with that big king size bed in the bedroom with a sleeper sofa in the living room with that large LCD tv if its raining and you want to stay inside for the evening. Keyed access to all areas to keep unwanted visitors out. All rooms have a great view of the ocean and boardwalk. The balcony is great for relaxing during the evening or for that early morning wakeup to watch the sun come up and the dolphins feed just out past the surf. The rooms were very clean and the furniture is in great shape. I will stay here again when we take our next trip to the beach. My wife had no trouble with getting her wheelchair in and out of the room or the property to access the boardwalk and my Daughter and grandkids loved this hotel.

Reviewed July 10, 2009

This was a last minute vacation, so we did some fast research for accomodations for 5. The Ocean Suites was really just what we needed. Good location for kids. Great view of Boardwalk. Everything that we wanted. The only problem was the maid staff. One day they made 2 out of 3 beds. We had to request coffee several days. They didn't clean anything. They also do not know the meaning of the "Do not disturb" sign on the door. I would recommend this hotel for value and everything except that service issue.