“Shabby chic”

Ranked #66 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Shabby chic”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My family decided on an average rating for this hotel, one of us works in the tourism and hospitality industry and al, of us travel frequently. We were on a limited budget so this hotel fit the bill. The furniture needs to be updated, the sofa bed sagged to the point, that the family members who slept on it, actually used one off the bar stools to prop up the bed frame. The bedroom was tight and windowless, but the mattress on the queen sized bed was comfortable and I slept well. I call it the goldilocks level of comfort. The mattress was neither too hard or too soft, but just right. The kitchen area and - apartment sized fridge was great and make it a good choice for budge minded folks and would be ideal for families. The rug definitely should have been discarded sometime ago and really wasn't needed, the hotel seemed to be understaffed and our room didn't get cleaned one day, but we were able to get fresh towels and truly didn't feel slighted because when we checked in the suite was. SPOTLESS, cleaner than many of the 4 and 5 star
places we've stayed at in the past. As I said they seemed a little understaffed but the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The location was great and the fact that every room has an ocean view was impressive. Since we weren't spending a lot of time in the room, it was fine. I was impressed at checkout that we received a coupon for 10%'off of a future stay, since most hotel loyalty programs require at least a 5 night or more stay before offering any discount. I also found it admirable that they activity solicited a review on trip adviser.

1 Thank Dmwj
charles w, General Manager at Ocean Suites, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank You for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was not what you expected. We are in the process of upgrading the condition of our furniture but it is taking us longer than expected especially during our peak season and with our occupancy. I was however glad to see that our Housekeeping provided you with an exceptionally clean room. I hope you will give us another opportunity to enjoy your company and stay with us so that we can show you our progress and upgrades.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We arrived after midnight and there was a misunderstanding with the room type, I called and spoke with Chandler. There were no rooms to move into, so we settled in for the night with the expectation that Chandler would take care of everything the next day. He did just that, my husband spoke with a women at the front desk the next morning, while we were out enjoying Virginia Beach - they moved all our luggage to our new room. Parking is tight, and once again Chandler pulled through for us - moving his car so we could park the rental. The location is right is perfect, was in walking distance of everything, the view from our balcony was beautiful, all rooms have the same ocean view, hotel and pool were always clean, and the staff were TOP notch! If you're looking for a great value, with AWESOME customer service, this hotel is it! The only pro I have is the sofa pull out bed is not people friendly, very hard to sleep on. Comfortable as a couch, but not a bed! Overall we will always suggest this hotel to everyone we know. If we ever get the opportunity to go back, this will be our hotel.

1 Thank rojasclan
charles w, General Manager at Ocean Suites, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure to be of service to you and your family. Your daughter made more of an impression on our staff than you know. It is always good to hear that one of my Associates went above and beyond to ensure that our guest had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to seeing all of you again soon.
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at this property for four nights the week of July 21 in room 601. Room had 2 double beds and a pull out couch. The beds were comfortable the pull out couch was not. The room was clean and also had a kitchen. Although we had little encounter with the staff they were all pleasant. I did report an issue with the in room safe (did not work) the first night we were there it was not taken care during our stay. The view was nice from the balcony especially during the fireworks. When checking in I thought it was a little odd that the small lobby was actually located in the garage which I guess was normal when walking around I noticed a lot of hotels were set up the same way. Overall nice stay and would consider staying there again on my next visit.

1 Thank Jeff K
charles w, General Manager at Ocean Suites, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your recent review on trip advisor. I was sorry to see that your issue with the safe was not corrected. I did research the date it was reported and will get with my staff of handling issues immediately. We are not usually one to let an issue slip by without handling it in a quick and timely manner. Our sofa bed insert are in the process of being replaced for a more comfortable sleep as well as some of our mattresses. I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and we look forward seeing you again soon.
Niagara Falls, New York, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The Hotel was nice, but the one bedroom suites were very small. We had one bedroom with 2 double beds and a twin bunk on top of one of the double beds. The sofa bed in the main room was in very poor condition and could not be used. The room was clean with exception of the sofa bed couch, we put a sheet over it. I understand they are in the process of upgrading the furniture, so hopefully there will be new sofa beds. The hotel staff was very friendly and the hotel pool was very clean. We would stay again, but would not have more than a family of 4 in one suite. 2 adults and 2 children. The suites would be most comfortable for only 2.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
charles w, Manager at Ocean Suites, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. As you stated, we are in the process of improving on our sleeper sofas but with this being our most active time, it is difficult to get this done in a quick and timely manner. I appreciate your comments on our staff and we do strive to go beyond what is necessary for good customer service. We look forward to seeing you again soon so that we can show you the progress we have made to upgrade to provide an enjoyable stay for all of our guest.
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I booked this room on booking.com and was unable to post a review on their site.
The room was just not what I expected from an oceanfront hotel. It was moreso like a motel on the ocean. It is an older hotel...I understood that, but the outside was a bit scary, the hallways were dark like a scary movie. The rooms were filled with flying insects..gnats, moths, flying ants. etc. Our room had an exceptionally funny smell. I had to buy concentrated air freshner to get rid of it. The hotel had concrete walls, but you could hear every door close in the hotel, every toilet flush, all conversations. The bed was firm, but tooooo firm. I actually woke up feeling sore the last couple of days.
The location was excellent however, everything was right on the boardwalk and all of the food for every meal was within walking distance. Housekeeping was really friendly during the weekend, but the housekeeping staff knocked on doors at 8:30-9:00 through the week.

Room Tip: If you are looking for resort style or even 3 star hotel style vacationing, skip this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Felicia L
charles w, General Manager at Ocean Suites, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
First of all Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to hear that you were not happy with your stay with us and the issues you had here as well. I did research the time that you were here but show not report of anything from you or anyone in your room to allow us the opportunity to fix any issues that you had. We do have our own product of air freshener and would have been more than happy to provide you with this product for your room as well as bug spray. When you open the sliding doors, there are some insects that do enter into the rooms as they do at your home especially when left open for long periods of time as most of our guest do so that they can enjoy the balcony and the beach view. We do walk our property on a regular basis and fix or report any maintenance issues such as light bulbs etc. but our rooms and hallways open to the outside areas. I hope that taking this into consideration that you will take this into consideration and will give us another opportunity to service you and your family and make a better impression.

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Upstate NY USA
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed here 6 nights in June in room 707, one end of the 7th floor. This is a great value for a room with a separate bedroom, kitchenette, and balcony overlooking the boardwalk, beach and ocean. The living area has a sofabed. Yes, the hotel is older and the sofabed had some springs missing, but these things are minor for the great price and what you get. We were attending a dance competition for my daughter and I had to work a few days, but I got to watch huge pods of dolphins play all along the beach nearly every day! The bedroom has a queen bed, kitchen has the basics, full size fridge with freezer worked fine. No table for eating, just a 2 stool bar, the couch and 1 chair. 2 resin chairs on the balcony. Bathroom adequate. Located close to many restaurants, ice cream places, and lots of shopping. When you drive in, if there is a lot of traffic use Pacific then turn onto 24th St, turn right at Atlantic then a quick left into the lower or upper parking. Starbucks is up at Pacific and Laskin (around 32nd), a perfect morning walk along the boardwalk there and back. Entertainment up and down the boardwalk and street from the hotel in the evening. Beach is great. Water was easy first 2 days, rough later in the week.

Only negatives are - bedroom is totally dark (maybe a positive for you!) and my phone did not work well for my work. Speakerphone is older and does not all talk and listen at same time. We had some noise from the street but that's to be expected so close to all the entertainment. Also had noise from when our upstairs neighbor decided to have a party at 2am. Thankfully they checked out the next day.

Room Tip: All rooms have balconies facing the beach and ocean. Parking is on floors 1 and 2, Pool is on floor...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It was a great pleasure to see that we met you needs during your stay as well as your event. I hope that we can be of service to you again soon not only for this event next year but at a time when you and your family can just get away. We hope to see you again soon.
Rochester, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2013

If your looking for the Waldorf this isn't the place. Yes some of the rooms are a bit outdated but it was generally clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful! if you want to be on the Beach with a low budget this is definately the place for you.

Room Tip: stay away from the end rooms where the icemakers are.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
charles w, General Manager at Ocean Suites, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your most recent review on Trip Advisor. Our Hotel is far from being new but we do all we can to keep it up to date for our guest to have an enjoyable stay. We hope to see you again soon.