“Management full of excuses”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Schooner Inn

Schooner Inn
Ranked #46 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Management full of excuses”
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

This is the southernmost hotel on the boardwalk, so it is quiet. Water pressure in the shower was excellent. Our room was pretty basic, although it did have a jacuzzi and a small deck. The beds were soft, so two people sharing a double roll toward the center of the bed. Air conditioning was feeble. My problems were with the management. we did not receive a hang tsp for our car upon check in. When I noticed that other cars had them and asked at the desk, I was told that they were busy and it must have been an oversight. Fortunately, my car had not been towed before I got a tag! The second day, housekeeping knocked about 11:00. I told them that we were leaving in an hour and asked them to come back. When we returned to our room at 8:00, it had not been cleaned. I called the front desk. They said housekeeping had gone for the day, and they could not do anything, but they would give me towels if I came to the desk. When I went to collect the towels, I asked to speak to a manager. I was told none was on duty and that I should stop by in the morning. She said housekeeping had a different manager, so it was not really the hotel's fault! I asked the girl at the desk to leave a note regarding the situation for the manager. When I stopped by the next morning, the manager was busy, so I had to wait for 10 minutes. When she arrived, she said it must have been my fault because I must have put up the 'Do not Disturb' sign or maybe the wind blew it off or a child moved it. When I assured her that I had out up the 'Please make up the Room' sign and thatbthe sign was still there when we returned at 8:00, she said she would have to call housekeeping. After I waited for 10 minutes, she said housekeeping would have to find the cleaner that was responsible for my room. That took another 10 minutes. After waiting a total of 30 minutes of my vacation time, she said she was sorry. When I asked her how she would resolve their mistake, she eventually agreed to a $39 refund. My advice - be sure to get what you are paying for.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Crcb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We just stayed at the Schooner Inn June 15-17 in room 633 and were very happy with it. We picked this hotel so we could upgrade to ocean view and up high with the jacuzzi tub. Other hotels in the area cost much more for this and we actually kind of preferred the feel of a smaller hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. The heated pool was also nice to have since the oceans very cold in June. There were no problems with the free parking and the location was nice being at the very end of the boardwalk. It wasn't near as crowded down there. I would recommend asking for an upper floor in advance to get the best view. Make sure to walk down the boardwalk to Chix for free night outside concerts. Get the early bird dinner special at Blacjk Angus, delicious and great deal!!! Bring towels and whatever else you'll need for the beach including chairs because nothing will be provided.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Banny9949
Norfolk
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The staff was great Kristen was awesome she went out of her way to help us out to make our stay. The best before we left we would stay there again
We didn't get to use the pool because we were working the festival down there

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Leonard C
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Banny9949
Columbia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I just got back from a wonderful stay at the Schooner Inn. Our room was fantastic. We had 2 beds and a jacuzzi that overlooked the ocean. We could sit on our balcony and enjoy the views of the beach. It is an excellent location. We also had the little kichenette (microwave, fridge and mini sink) But they also included a toaster and dishes and silverware which i was not expecting. Our room was spotless. Housekeeper came in everyday and made beds and supplied us with clean towels. My daughter enjoyed the pool. Everyone was very nice and helpful. I would say the only downfall would be the parking. The lot is a very tight squeeze. I also think they should have a few more handicap accessible spots and they should put them in an easier accessible area. Overall, our stay at the Schooner Inn was FABULOUS!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor. Excellent view of beach and ocean from balcony and the hot tub.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jennifer E
grimesland, nc
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary and enjoyed our stay. It is not the Hilton but for a beach hotel it is perfect! We arrived as the last check in for the night at 11pm and the service clerk at the front desk still greeted us with a smile and was very helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Love the hot tub with king size bed!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JJDerek
Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I have been staying here for years. We vacation in Va Beach each summer and always stay at the Schooner Inn. In fact we always stay in the same room! We've never had a problem with anything. The room is always clean, maid service is always on top of things, the pool clean and ready for guests and most of the hotel staff friendly. This year we were checked in by Meredith. Let me just say..she has been the most friendly and most helpful staff of this hotel we've ever had the pleasure of meeting. We were here by 1pm and she checked us right in. She was so helpful through out our stay in so many ways.
We always enjoy our stay here and never have any complaints.
If the manager or owner of this hotel reads this please note: Never let Meredith go!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple