“Great!”

Ranked #46 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Great!”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Been here twice and will return in the future! Just a great deal! VERY affordable for an ocean front view with a hot tub! Also unlike other fascistic states, Virginia allows smoking in your hotel room. Not that it even matters because most of the time you'll be on the balcony taking advantage of the beautiful ocean view that usually only rich folks can afford.

Room Tip: The higher the floor , the better the view. 4th or 5th floor
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bob Z

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
New Castle, Delaware
Reviewed December 26, 2011

First of all, I'm a germophobe and, invariably, hotels gross me out. Though not the newest hotel, the room we stayed in was immaculate. Perfectly clean, beautifully maintained (not all shiny new, but obviously care and love is put into the care of this place), and for a hotel where every room is "smoking optional" I didn't detect the slightest hint of smoke--even fresher and more clean smelling than a standard chain hotel when I stayed in "non-smoking" rooms (and I'm incredibly sensitive to cigarette smoke smells). The service was friendly and personal, and the views were incredible. I could not be happier with my stay, the room, or the hotel. Having traveled a lot, this is the first time I actually bothered to leave a review because I'm just THAT pleased with the Schooner Inn.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank D I
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed November 5, 2011

This Inn does not have ONE NON SMOKING room available. As soon as you walk into your room its smells like a stinky old ashtray. Its down right disgusting. I can't believe they are up to code w/health inspections. I immediately called the front desk and was told there were NO non smoking rooms!!! Unbelievable!! The room wasn't clean. Tried getting money back @ desk but she wouldn't budge. I will be disputing this charge on my credit card. In the looby they have a sign that says, " No Smoking". Thats a joke. I will not let this go until I get a full refund. This was suppose to be a weekend getaway for our wedding anniversay. I got so sick from the smell we had to come home early! Anyone looking at the poosibilty of staying here..DON"T. You will be sorry!!!! So if you are reading a positive review, it must be from a smoker in their glory!!!!(which is fine, but a nice establishment would accodomate non smoking rooms) The front desk guy ya couldn't understand cause he had a wad of chew in his mouth..gross!!!!!

Room Tip: Go to the Dolhin Inn..or ANYWHERE oher then this place
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sheilarae66

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Reviewed October 24, 2011

I took my wife to Virginia Beach for her birthday and decided on the Schooner Inn mainly because of the heart shaped jacuzzi and the oceanfront location.we was concerned about the hotel being a smokers hotel but I can honestly tell you that I could not even tell it was an all smoking inn. There was no hint of tobacco smell in our room. From check in on Oct 15th till checkout on Oct 17th we had a great time. The front desk and housekeeping staff are very friendly. Our room was awesome. I think we found our weekend getaway accommodations and plan on coming back.

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank Quickdraw514
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Unfortunately, I booked with this hotel in June for a weekend experience in August--the only time off I could take. The room was filled with smoke and everything in it reeked of it. The manager did nothing about it. The so called "deluxe kichenette" was a joke---small microwave, small sink, 2 small cupboards, small coffee maker, small fridge; some silverware. No hotplate or burners, or stove to cook on. We had brought our own food (due to our allergies) so we had to leave everything in the car and try to find a new place to stay for the weekend. The Budget Inn, across the street from the back of this disaster, saved us and we were able to salvage our trip. To the manager--boo and shame on you ! All he cared about was whether or not the room could be resold. He made no attempt to assist us.

Room Tip: Do not stay here! They obviously only cater to people staying for a week at a time, since the manag...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank J D
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I stayed at the Schooner early October, and the weather was thankfully cooperating. Overall, it was a very enjoyable stay. My room was clean, and the maid was very attentive to my requests. I loved the tiny touch of very gently suggesting that some towels could be used twice, by merely asking that guests leave those they want changed on the floor, and those they want to keep on the rack. Waste of energy and water in the vast majority of cases to change daily. But they leave it up to the guest (as some might think otherwise). I stayed in a double beds hottub room. Very spacious, lovely view. It's a quieter area of the beach, which suited my taste. Room isolation is not perfect - you do hear your neighbors quite a bit. To me, the beds were reasonably comfortable (I prefer hard mattresses, and theirs were on the softer side). Kitchenette was sufficiently equipped and CLEAN. I usually find I need to buy sink refreshers for motels, but not at the Schooner. Front desk was very helpful with check-in, check-out and, more importantly for me - advice on where to buy what I needed. Hottub was spotless. I used Lysol and did an empty run anyway, but that's just me - it didn't need it. View was spectacular. Added bonus - I was lucky and saw dolphins right from my balcony (perhaps because off-season). Watching surfers didn't exactly hurt my eyes either.

To me the best part when making a reservation was they had oceanfront smoking rooms - this is key to my selection. While people in some previous reviews complain about it, I actually applaud The Schooner for recognizing a market. Non-smokers can pick any other hotel/motel on the beach. Live and let live. To TripAdvisor: would be great if you added a "smoking room" filter in addition to the "non-smoking" one. It's a PAIN to go through all descriptions, get excited about a place only to learn that you're not welcome somewhere.

The Scooner is a fabulous balance between price and quality. I would expect more from a pricier place. From Schooner, I expected less. They clearly pleasantly surprised me. I will be back. Often.

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank CoolYule
Asheville
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Buyer beware! The rooms stink (literally) and they will do nothing about it once they have your money. If you are a non-smoking, I would not rent here. Nothing would mask the sickening odor. Virginia Beach has lots of hotels, so I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo