“Horrible trip, great place to stay!”

Belvedere Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
“Horrible trip, great place to stay!”
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Well, we had one of those trips we will remember for a lifetime! We started out on Friday, July 2 (we should've know what the traffic was going to be like on a holiday weekend). We came from the Northeast (PA) and came down using 95 (never again)... I read on a Facebook post from Virginia Beach that using US 13 down the eastern store is a much nicer drive....we will certainly remember that on our next trip down in a few weeks! So what should have been a 5 hour trip took us 7 hours. We were definately tired and ready to crash when we finally got there. Check in went smoothly with a very friendly staff at the front desk. Beware! Parking is horrendous, once you find a spot you won't want to leave it!

Virginia beach traffic is crazy especially on a holiday weekend but even once the holiday rush cleared out, it is very hard to get around by car! The main thing we didn't like about the Belvedere wasn't the hotel itself but the location. We first chose the Belvedere because of the price value since we were staying 7 nights and the fact that it is on a calmer, less busy end of the beach. This can be an advantage but because of the driving issues and no place to park once you Do leave the hotel (unless you want to pay for a public lot which is dumb when you have a room somewhere) we found this to be a disadvantage because there is not much as far as eating places on the north end. It seemed we had to walk so far just to get anywhere. (I would not recommend Murphy's, food was not great but Jewish Mother was fantastic!) They are about the only places in walking distance except for North End subs which may be fine for lunch but wanted something more substantial for dinner.

Once we did finally arrive and get settled in for the evening, we found the room to be clean and everything working which is the most important thing to us. It's not huge with quite a small bathroom but still sufficient for us especially at such a great price for an oceanfront room! I ended up being pretty much bed ridden for the first four days of our trip!! (Happy Anniversary to us!) because of a stomach virus so it was sufficient enough for us to have to be stuck in the room for most of our time at the beach (we went to Busch Gardens and Williamsburg later which is a great idea if you can fit it in, both were wonderful.)

We relaxed in the pool one evening...very small pool but we were the only ones there at the time so it's usually not that crowded. The beach (the few times we were able to get there) was great! We had a frig in the room which we used a lot as we tried to eat some of our meals in. Prices in general pretty high around Virginia Beach, especially when it comes to the resturants. The cafe is wonderful that is attached to the Belvedere...however very busy and plan to have to stand and wait! Food and service was great though.

The other major issue we had (besides the crowds, traffic and my being sick) was the fact that my husband had to use a public restroom along the boardwalk that was covered in feces! He could not wait and had to use it and there was someone CHANGING in the only other stall they had! (There are signs posted everywhere, no changing and this is why...people have to GO!) He was so utterly disgusted he said we would never be returning to VA Beach (this was while he was still angry of course!) We are returning in a few weeks for a "redemption trip." My advice: use the restroom before you go anywhere and if you are out walking don't eat anything that is going to have to make you use their public restrooms. There are just not enough restrooms along the boardwalk to handle the crowds and to find one you have to walk quite a bit a ways so if you have an emergency, you're up a creek without a paddle.

I know that was a long review but I find the longest ones are the most helpful! It's nice to know about the area as well as the motel. For having to stay in most of the trip, the room was comfortable if you want something on a budget. When we return at the end of August, we wanted to go with something a little bigger with more amenities (cont. breakfast, fitness area, etc.) so we chose the Surfside Inn. We'll see how it goes and I'll leave a review for them as well.

3 Thank hollygardenhour

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
ohio
Reviewed August 4, 2010

This was my first trip to Virginia beach and I am happy to report I have nothing but positive things to say about the 4 nights we stayed at The Belvedere , and Virginia Beach !
The room was clean (a blowdryer would have been handy also no room safe )the staff was very nice the outdoor pool was great! and the view was awesome.
North end of the boardwalk was a great location , quiet at night but within walking distance of everything. The bikes provided by the hotel were a nice surprise also.
The coffee shop located in the hotel had great food and prices were affordable, we ate there several times.
The beds were very comfortable, extra pillows-just ask at the desk.
Non smoking rooms were a big plus also :)
We would stay here again without hesitation.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 25, 2010

well lets start at check in we arrived early ( about an hour) and our room was ready . they had a very efficent check in and even offered 2 help me with my bags. the staff was the great the best i have ever encountered while travelingand we go on at least 1 vacation a year.the room was better than i expected from the reviews a little dated but very clean and a great housekeeping staff.also the view and north beach lacation of this privately owned property was amazing. my 5 year old smiled the entire trip thats enough said. great hotel for the money. we travel 2 virginia beach every other year and have never stayed in the same hotel till now we will definately return year after year keep up the great service belvedere and see ya next year.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I saw the great reviews, but the pictures of old interiors had me skeptical. However, it was the cheapest oceanfront we could find on short notice, so my husband and I gave it a try. I was expecting an outdated, unmaintained dump. What I found instead was cute mod retro in a clean, cozy building with a great balcony on the beach. The king-sized bed was comfortable. We chose the king efficiency, so we got a stove, microwave, sink, and mini-fridge. We used all of them. We had been traveling for a week, so it was nice to save money and calories by going to the grocery store and eating real food and stocking our own bar.
Definitely take advantage of the free bicycles. The running joke was "We'd love to rent them, but they're free." How many times did we hear that? By the way, the front desk guys and bellhops are absolutely adorable. I was surprised that they had baggage service, you don't even get that in business-class hotels.
A few downfalls: small 25" TV, small bathroom, far north end of boardwalk away from the action

1 Thank 2ndtyme
Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan
Reviewed July 17, 2010

We have been coming to Virginia Beach for a family vacation for the last few years. We read reviews about the Belvedere here and booked them for our vacation. I was so glad we did. The Staff at The Belevedere was fantastic, the rooms were super clean, everybody was very nice and helpful. We were just steps away from the beach. We had breakfast in the Coffee Shop where the food was great and service fantastic. I would highly recommend this place.

1 Thank MichiganMom48236
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 16, 2010

This place is so charming and lovely. We arrived after a long day of travel and even though I had researched the Belvedere and my other options a Virginia Beach well, I was not sure it would be all I expected. But it was just as promised: a clean little retro gem on the beach.

Upon arrival we waited briefly in the sweet little sitting area part of the office for the bellhop to help us with our things from the car, then rode the elevator (which was non air-conditioned, so hot but not unbearable) up to our floor and entered a cool, comfortable, clean room with an incredible ocean view and balcony. It had two full beds so I didn't know if they'd be big enough for me, my husband and our children ages 2, 4 and 6, but we all slept comfortably. There is a small fridge and a table and chairs which was handy for drinks and snacks too. The bathroom is small but clean and there is ample storage space adjacent to the sink in a closet with an upper shelf. Another large closet near the beds held the rest of our things. The shower lacked super-duper water pressure, but it was alright. We loved being able to go down to the pool (clean and pleasant and large enough, ranging from 3.5 to 8 feet deep) and then take just a few steps over to the beach and still be so close to our room! The other guests at the hotel consisted of families like us and older couples, all quiet and well-behaved sorts. The parking lot is small, and one night we returned to find it full. We told the night clerk and he quickly directed us to an unmarked spot and then held our keys to valet park the car -- a minor annoyance dealt with easily and quickly.

The Belvedere Coffee Shop is a treasure. The food is so good, and the atmosphere is even better if that's possible. Each day we were somehow able to get in this tiny place and get a table for us and a clip-on highchair for our youngest.

Service was superb both in the coffee shop and at the motel. We appreciated the lightning-fast delivery of warm extra towels at our request and the live-person wake-up call. We did try to request extra pillows, but there were none, so if you like more of them you should bring your own.

Overall, I loved the Belvedere: a modest, clean motel with great service in an excellent location.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed July 15, 2010

We have stayed at the Belvedere several times and love it! There is no better view on the beach. The hotel staff go out of their way to be helpful, and the coffee shop is frequented by locals (a high recommendation in a town with many restaurants) and is one of the hidden treasures of Virginia Beach. The new managers are working tirelessly to upgrade everything in the hotel and they clearly care about quality and service. We travel around the country a lot since retiring and the Belvedere is our favorite place!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple