“Best Place in VA Beach”

Belvedere Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed March 12, 2010

Ocean front...great staff...affordable family trip ! Loved it!

Reviewed September 1, 2009

We just stayed at the belvedere in august 2009 for one week. The rooms were clean, the view of the ocean was beautiful, the staff was really friendly and helpful, the coffee shop has a very good breakfast and really friendly staff. Overall we enjoyed our stay and had no really big complaints. For the price we paid, to have a room right on the ocean and steps away from the beach and boardwalk, it was a great deal we got. If I had to say anything bad about this place is the bathrooms are a little small and if they could be renovated that would be a plus. Besides that I have no other complaints. If you're looking for a cozy , inexpenvsive motel this is a great place.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2009

We spent 4 nights at the Belvedere. We had adjoining rooms: one an efficiency and one a regular room. The rooms are a nice size and clean with comfortable beds. The efficiency has a small stove, microwave and little fridge, and sink and cabinets with dishes and coffeemaker. The regular room has just a small fridge. All the rooms overlook the beach and have balconies (except 1st floor.) The hotel provides free bikes for its guests. The coffee shop is great! We ate there everyday. It's only open for breakfast and dinner. Very casual and you could eat there wearing your swimsuit and a cover. The pool was clean and very warm. It felt like a hot tub one day! The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. We only had one problem with our stay. The a/c unit in the efficiency froze up and was full of ice, so it didn't work well at all. We arrived late our first night and we understood why a smaller hotel didn't have a maintenence person on staff that late to fix it. But the next day he came and fixed it and it worked for a day and then it froze up again. I'd read in a previous Tripadvisor review that the reviewer's a/c unit didn't work and the staff swapped it out for another unit. We suggested that, but I think the hotel was full. It was in the high 90s during our stay, so while the regular room was cool and comfortable, the efficiency was not that comfortable for much of the stay. Other than that problem I'd highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2009

I have stayed at other hotels at the beach, which were suppose to be really nice, I will take the Belvedere over the other hotels any time. I have stayed there 3 times and each time I feel so comfortable and relaxed. I love the ocean front rooms, the coffee shop, the staff and the clean rooms. I won't stay any other hotel when I vacation in Virginia Beach.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 25, 2009

Yes, it is an older motel, and doesn't provide all the amenities of the newer and pricier hotels. However, you don't necessarily need anything more than they offer. It is a well maintained motel, very clean, and all the staff was very friendly and helpful. They do have a small cafe onsite, and they are usually very busy, and you may have to wait in line a bit to get a seat. The food was good! They have an outdoor heated pool also. The rooms provide a small refrigerator, no microwave, no coffee maker, no iron/board. the offer WiFi in the lobby only. The room was large enough, but the bathroom was a bit small. The room was very clean with updated decor. The cleaning staff was very on top of things. All rooms are ocean front with an amazing view. Belvedere is close to the north end of the boardwalk. They provide bikes free of charge so you can enjoy the full 3 miles of the boardwalk. You can rent the surrey's right next door at the Sheraton.

If you are okay with an older clean motel without all the frills then the Belvedere is for you. The price was atleast $50/night cheaper than any other ocean front hotel I could find. We had a great time 4 nights at the Belvedere, we were very comfortable, and perfectly fine with out all the frills of the pricier hotels. We would definately stay at the Belvedere again and not give it a second thought.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I wish I had pictures to share, but the ones already posted do it justice. I don't know why some people complained about the staff - they were all perfectly lovely to us, gracious, caring and great service. I guess you get back what you put out there in the world, eh? So if you're a grumpy, whiny, high-maintenance person, that will be reflected back at you from others.

We had only 3 nights/4 days to enjoy this fantastic location. Yes, the hotel has "dated" decor... who CARES? I'm there for BEACH! BEACH! BEACH! The swimming pool is kept sparkling clean, the rooms are clean, the beds very comfortable, and the hallways are open air, so regular rains wash them clean too. LOL

My only complaints about the whole visit was an odor that seems to come from the carpet. Opening the door to the balcony, and propping open the entry door allowed the ocean breeze to sweep through the room (pin down all light weight items first!) and aired it out just fine though, so that's a pretty minor item. That, and the space around the toilet is pretty narrow - a challenge for a big woman like me, but I managed just fine, and it didn't have much of an impact on my enjoyment of the beach, and we're only talking about something you use a few times per day, not a place you hang out for hours - right? Big whoop if it isn't a luxury spa. I just needed to wash off sand and sunscreen before going to dinner.

There is a nice sized college-dorm type refrigerator in every room, ample closet space, they provide nice wooden hangers, and I never had a sighting of a single insect of the cockroach variety - something a "fancy" hotel down around the 1700th block couldn't provide us a few years back (ick). The hotel was built for an earlier generation, so the sink area just has a sink, towel bar, mirror and electrical outlet. No hair dryers, no acres of counter space. We managed just fine, since I had the common sense to take a hair dryer with me to a hotel built in the 1950's.

Thanks to George and Pam (the helpful desk clerks), Chris (intrepid bell boy) and Kellie (room cleaner extraordinaire) for making our stay so pleasant. When my daughter's glasses screw came loose, the manager (Bob?) even had a set of tiny screwdrivers so she could fix her glasses - they think of absolutely everything!

Now, about the Belvedere Coffee Shop: All I can say is..... WOW! Brenda (the manager), Diana, Michael, Steve, Nate and Paul served us up some of the best breakfasts and lunches I've enjoyed in years. They must have had 200 people pass through for breakfast that first day, but when we went back for lunch a few hours later, Diana remembered how we like our water (no ice, add lemon)! That is incredibly impressive in a waitress, IMHO. The food was excellent, but the service and caring staff were simply "over the top". Even if I stayed somewhere else for some bizarre reason, I'd still go there for breakfast and lunch. They are just the best. THE BEST. What a bunch of sweethearts!

Great place for a beach trip on a budget. Our three night / 4 day stay, plus meals, gasoline and a handful of souvenirs cost us less than $1,000. They even have fireworks in Va. Beach on Sunday and Wednesday evenings, so our last night there was topped of with fireworks. It just doesn't get any better than that!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank marybahai9
Reviewed June 30, 2009

WOW! My new love and I drove down to VA beach for the weekend without booking reservations ~ free spirited weekend!
This was the the third hotel/motel we checked for availability and there were 2 rooms available! YEAH! All the rooms are beach front and have a beautiful view of the ocean! This is older motel but definitely everything you need for a couple nights. Stove, fridge, comfortable beds, good water pressure and clean!
The young man that showed me the room was cordial and helpful! Thank you Zach.
The A/C unit did go out during our first night. We opened the sliding doors and slept in the warmth of the night air with the sound of the ocean in the background. The next morning promptly the A/C unit was exchanged and worked beautifully.
We enjoyed the home cooked breakfast at the Belvedere Cafe - awesome!
Everything you could need/want is within walking distance from this motel. Bikes were included for a ride down the boardwalk.
Pool is small and in front. We did not use this.
Housekeeping was nice and responsive.
We absolutely enjoyed our weekend and would return!
Thanks ~