“Belvedere Beach Resort”

Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Shelburne, Vermont
“Belvedere Beach Resort”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Belvedere. The upper floor ocean view was great. The room was very clean, nicely themed, and in good shape. Typically, beach-front hotels are worn, which was not the case at the Belvedere. The staff in the office were very helpful. The northern end of VA Beach is more quiet than the other areas, but there were many restaurant options a short walk away. The only negative was the parking places were somewhat tight. It is refreshing to find a family-run hotel among the high rise hotels which surround the Belvedere.

4 Thank VTBrigade
belvederebeachresort, David and Leigh W., Owners at Belvedere Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thanks for the stars! Clean rooms, a friendly staff, great views—we're thrilled to hear you enjoyed every bit of your stay and look forward to sharing this with the rest of the team. Hope to see you again soon! — David and Leigh W., Owners

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Nebo, North Carolina
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We booked one night and extended our stay another night. The room was very clean, the king size bed was great, the ocean view is perfect, and the staff really did treat us like family. It's really nice to get great service for a reasonable price, and we'll certainly stay there again without hesitation. Thanks to all! John and Suzette

Room Tip: They are all ocean front.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank John R
belvederebeachresort, David and Leigh W., Owners at Belvedere Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
You're more than welcome, John! It's wonderful to hear that your stay was so enjoyable, you decided to stay an extra night. Hopefully, we'll get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon! Thanks so much for the stars and take care.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have been going to this place for years now with my husband & a group of 15-20 friends ( we go annually) & we wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. The Rooms are very clean & overlook the Ocean. They have bicycles that are free for the guests, they have a Great Coffee Shop on the premises for Breakfast & Lunch which is very convenient & the Owners are the Most Hospitable & Friendly People I have ever met.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank MariaSordi
belvederebeachresort, David and Leigh W., Owners at Belvedere Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thanks for continuing to support us on TripAdvisor. We're flattered that you think so highly of our service! Think you'll get the chance to visit again soon? Would love to welcome you back! Thanks again and take care.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I really don't where to begin. I guess this review is extremely personal and in that respect quite unusual. My husband & I stayed here earlier this month and having settled in and just starting to explore, my husband was taken ill. He spent two nights in the local hospital and the family and staff that run this hotel were fantastic. I really cannot thank them enough. I am so pleased that we were staying here and not in some impersonal high rise block. I know that my task here is to rate the hotel and I can honestly say that despite the health scare, this place is exactly what we love. Real America. If you are looking for the modern style then perhaps this is not the place for you.. This place is honest and true with old fashioned values and charm. Our room was comfortable with fridge, microwave and best of all fantastic views. We stayed a few extra days until my husband was fully recovered and were genuinely sad to leave. So hope we can return again one day. As I write we are about to leave the USA and I know that the Belvedere will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean.
8 Thank JenDevon
belvederebeachresort, David and Leigh W., Owners at Belvedere Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Words can't even begin to express how touched we were to read your review, Jen. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with others. It means a lot to us and we hope to welcome you & John back again soon.

Take care,

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed September 25, 2013

when I see a negative review among glowing ones I usually write it off to a grumpy, negative person but I should have listened closer. This place was a great disappointment. I went there because of the reviews on this site and I feel misled. One thing it did have going for it was it was right on the beach and the rooms opened to the beach. It was great to go to sleep at night listening to the surf. Everyone raved about being family owned but that really meant nothing to me as I never bothered with the front desk except to check in. She was nice but that was a five minute part of the stay and the rest of the stay was disappointing. The room was dirty. I went to plug in my phone and there was dust behind everything and on top of everything including the plugs. It was obvious that nothing had been moved to clean for many years (that is only way to get this level of dirt). The vent in the bathroom was disgusting with dirt and so were the corners of the room. It was very dated. The bathroom was about 5' by 6' and if you are overweight you cannot get into the bathroom. The towels were thin and small and so where the sheets. They had been washed so much you could see through them and they were scratchy. The décor was bad 1970's and with a little paint and cleaning this could have been a charming hotel. There are hundreds of hotels on the beach and this certainly was not worth $142 a night. More like $60 a night. I have stayed in better Motel 6s. I really don't understand the enthusiasm these reviews have for this place. It was one stop short of being a no-tell motel. They have trip advisor sign out front and I think it is disingenious to say you are top rated. Yes you might be but I wonder who wrote the reviews? the employees? with so many other places to stay in Virginia beach and many even cheaper, this one is not worth the time.

10 Thank celestia2013
belvederebeachresort, Owner at Belvedere Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
We value constructive criticism. Questioning our integrity? Not so much. We'll go with your initial instinct.
Seven Valleys, Pa
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

My sister and niece and I stayed here and had a wonderful time. The location could not be better and it was hard to pull myself away from the balcony overlooking the boardwalk and beach. The room was attractively decorated and very clean. There is a fabulous little restaurant that serves great breakfast and lunch. Definitely would stay here again

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Nan7Valleys
belvederebeachresort, David and Leigh W., Owners at Belvedere Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
So happy to hear that you and your sister enjoyed your stay with us! This means so much to us, so thank you. Did you have fun exploring Virginia Beach as well? Hopefully you'll be back again soon! Until then, take care.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed here based solely on Trip Advisor reviews but a lot of the hotels in Virginia Beach looked decent on the outside. Since it was our first time to this town we thought we'd get a reservation instead of just walking in and taking our chances. It appears we had nothing to worry about as we went after Labor Day when things were not so hectic and it appeared most places had rooms.

PROS:
Family owned
All rooms face the ocean
Staff was quite friendly and recommended restaurants, activities, bus info, etc.
Free parking
No resort fee
Heated outdoor pool
Bicycles to borrow
Beach chairs and umbrellas to rent
Small cafe attached to hotel

CONS:
Bathrooms are tiny and the seat on our toilet wasn’t tight and ended up pinching my leg
Our balcony collected cigarette smoke from somewhere rendering it useless. We couldn’t determine who was smoking and when we called the office no one answered - the calls kept going directly to voicemail so the situation was never resolved.
Wifi was weak, this could easily be solved by installing repeaters or boosters in the rooms.

It's good to note that Virginia Beach closes up for the winter as do the smaller hotels. The larger chains stay open but there's definitely a tourist season.
Dogs are welcome on the beach after tourist season.
There's a dedicated path for bikes and a larger, separate one for humans which parallel the ocean.
Jet’s fly overhead which isn’t the hotel’s fault but it’s helpful to note it happens. All hotels at Virginia Beach have this problem.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dustyduo
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with others on TripAdvisor! We're happy to hear you enjoyed everything from the pool to the bicycles.

That said, we apologize if you weren't happier with other aspects of your stay. We understand how unappealing the smell of cigarette smoke can be, so we'll see what we can do to prevent this in the future. Likewise, we appreciate your suggestion about the Wifi—great thinking!

If you have any other comments or concerns, don't hesitate to share them with us. We're all ears! Thanks again and take care.