“Super camping!!”

and up
Wild Horse Tour from Virginia Beach
Ranked #26 of 130 things to do in Virginia Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Limited to hiking, biking and boating, this state park is formed by a mile-wide barrier spit between Back Bay and the Atlantic Ocean.
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Where else can stay on the beach ocean front for $13 a night? I loved FCSP. I liked the fact that I could sleep on the beach in my tent, but I could eat in my site in the woods out of the sun. If you are not looking for the comforts of home and don't mind going to the bathroom in an outhouse, this place is great.

3  Thank Ginnyprince
All reviews
"back bay national wildlife refuge"
in 8 reviews
"beach area"
"ranger"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We rode our bikes on the trails and were impressed with the conditions. There is plenty of shade which made our late July bike ride not nearly as hot as we were anticipating. It still gets warm and the park is rather remote, so it is a good idea to bring bottled water. The visitors center is air conditioned and had very clean bathrooms. Bike racks were included at convenient places along the trails. Some of the trails turn pretty much into very loose sand, but those areas were marked accordingly on the trail maps. We didn't have to pay to get in, but he did have to pay to get to the park because we entered via the Back Bay Wildlife Refuge just North.

1  Thank Justin R
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Great biking location. Lots of wildlife and plants to see. We have gone on several "Wild Edible Plants" adventures there. Look for the wild horses in this park. Also be aware or snakes. In 8 hours we saw 10 poisonous snakes.

1  Thank frankkathie
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Went to the park to do some relaxing swimming in the calm bay area. It is a great area for small children or older adults of if you want to get away from the crowds at VB. I would love to camp here sometime in the future.

2  Thank missatlantic
See more reviews
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I am just returning to the East Coast after many yrs out West. My biggest fear was not being able to find any remote beaches. I no longer have to look any further. Coupled with the fact that you can camp on the beach (make your reservations early as spaces are very limited) and when you do need a teeny dose of civilization you can get all you need from the Visitor's Center, this is now on our list of locales to frequent any time we can make it to this area. We are "allergic" to crowds so we were in heaven during our entire trip. p.s. The State Park's directional signage was great for the biking/hiking trails!

2  Thank M W