“I hope you can avoid this.”

Virginia Beach Boardwalk
More attraction details
Owner description: This three-mile concrete promenade is always busy with bicyclists, strollers, diners and people-watchers. During the summer, three oceanfront stages offer nightly entertainment.
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Ok, I am a beach goer. I live in Thailand and know beaches pretty well. This one was not great.

I drove pretty far to get to this because I've heard so much about it. What a disappointment. Maybe it was just Labor Day crowds, but I'll never come here a gain. I am used to Hilton Head, comparably speaking, this was the pits.

It was a melting pot of people. I mean every walk of life, some strange, just camped out, just creepy. The beach was crowded. Really crowded. Water was cool, to cold.

The boardwalk is a sidewalk. There is nothing for sale on the board walk. A few restaurants. Not much. The street that parallels the "board-side walk" is separated from the board walk by a steady stream of huge old hotels. Just wasn't nice. The street is packed with cheesy tourist trap stores. How many "VA Beach" shirts can one sell?

There are a lot of nice beaches in America. This isn't one of them. I would avoid it.

4  Thank Mikeleemon
Write a ReviewReviews (6,509)

Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is probably one of the widest and most organized (bikes on one side, walkers on other) boardwalk we have visited. There were even red "parking meters" where you could contribute money to the homeless, rather than give in to panhandlers. Numerous sculptures along the boardwalk were a nice touch.

1  Thank bsimosd
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We were there with our family in the summer and had a great time. The boardwalk is nice for walking or biking. We rented a 6-seater and took a stroll, stopping when we got tired of pedaling and eat some ice cream. Our grandchildren made a big mess with the ice cream because it was so hot that day, but we didn't care we still had a great time. So visit with the family and let loose and have a ball ! !

1  Thank George710
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Family visited for a long weekend. Coming from RI it was much warmer. Live music and late hours made the beach open all the time! Enough to do for a long weekend plus a very nice beach. I would put it up with Myrtle Beach.

1  Thank 4EddyB
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The boardwalk in VB is a nice walk along the beach. They keep it very clean and have rules posted, rules that are enforced. No misbehaving factions intrude on your fun here. It does get a bit packed at times but definitely worth making the trip.

2  Thank Greg R