“Loved It” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved It”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2006

The Room was great! The view was beautiful. I was skeptical at first because of some of the reviews, but I did have a good time there. The breakfast area was very plain and drab, like an abandoned bingo hall, but I only woke up on time for the free breakfast ONCE. :-) Overall, it was a great experience, and I plan on staying there again.

• Stayed August 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2006

My wife and I and three boys (ages 10, 5, and 2) enjoyed our spring break in VA Beach.
The Barclay Towers provided a clean, nice suite with full kitchen on the ocean front.
It is not the Ritz Carlton, but we found it clean, well kempt, with polite and helpful staff.
It is on the end of the strip, but it was off season so not much was happening on the strip.

Noted construction beginning next store, was not loud or intrusive. The boys were able to find our hotel quickly from the boardwalk by spotting the contruction crane.

Pool is nice (indoors). Hot tub and spa are good as well.

Kitchen is fully functional for easy breakfast and lunch prep. Did dinner dining out or ordered in. Mattress on pull out bed was a bit uncomfortable, however...we brought an inflatable queen mattress and placed it over the hotel mattress....worked fine for my wife and me...the mattress well worth the investment if you will stay more than a couple nights.

Noted previous reviews rating this hotel poorly, if you are a normal-experienced traveler and not too "hoity-toity" this hotel is an excellent bargain. If we go to VA again, would not hesitate to stay at the Barclay Towers again.

• Stayed April 2006
14 Thank Kim S
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2006

I stayed at the Barclay Towers for three nights in March on a Last Call vacation. It was wonderful! The staff were friendly and accommodating. The entire resort was under renovation, and I got a newly renovated room with NEW EVERYTHING. The oceanfront balcony provides breathtaking views of the Boardwalk below.

I visit Virginia Beach several times a year, and own at another resort on the Boardwalk. I have to say, the newly renovated Barclay is a treat.

The only drawback was the very noisy construction next door (a new hotel), but that was clearly stated in reservation materials, so as not to be a surprise. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2006
6 Thank RUtraveller
Spartanburg, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2006

We stayed on the 8th floor at Barclay from March 11, 2006 until march 18th. We had a great time. This hotel is undergoing complete renovation!! It's about time! Our suite had nice new carpet, all new kitchen - I mean cabinets, sink, refer, stove, everything. New bathroom tub and shower head. New tile floor in hallway and bath. It was like a brand new hotel room. There was no more musty smell.

The entire staff at the front desk was great. I called about no cork screw; one was delivered in less than 10 minutes. The girl was there every morning about 9:30 or ten to remove trash and straighten up.

No I did have one big complaint; the TV channel selection is about as bad as I have ever seen. Oh well you don't go to the beach to watch TV.

They have a nice fitness area. Good size indoor heated pool (I mean like 83 degrees), sauna, steam room (nice), hot tub and limited exercise equipment.

The breakfast is strictly 'continental'. Just pastries, cold cereal, english muffins and bagles. Some juices, milk, coffee, tea and hot chocolate. There are NO eggs, bacon sausage or fruit. It's like an all carbohydrate breakfast. It won't stay with you very long. lol.

• Stayed March 2006
7 Thank hatterasjack
Shelton, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2006

My family stayed at the Barclay this past summer. I chose this hotel because we had stayed there about three years earlier and loved it. This time, not so. After reading the bad reviews, I couldn't agree more. The rooms are definitely so very smelly, I hate to imagine what's gone on in them! The carpeting is dirty, grimy, full of sand. Our first night there, we discovered, after a blood curdling scream from our daughter, that there was a huge infestation of flying ants in the corner by the big window next to the balcony door. And, I mean HUGE, they were nesting inside an upturned area of carpet. I called the front desk, this was about 11 pm on a Friday and was told that nothing could be done until MONDAY, no one was available. Totally unacceptable. After a lot of complaining from my two teenage girls at the front desk, they finally sent up a security guard dressed in a black shirt, pants, jacket and cowboy hat! (this wasn't Halloween or Margi Gras time folks!) I didn't know what to think, but I let him spray the area, it did nothing. I asked him to vacuum, he said the vacuums were all locked up. So, I took the girls, got in the car and went to the 24 hour Walmart. Very nice store by the way. I bought a small hand vac and a couple of cans of good bug spray. Oh, and I also bought silicone caulk to seal up the nest area. Went back, cleaned up all the mess, sealed up the nest area, went to sleep around 2:30 am. Then, being totally skeeved, the next day I set to cleaning up in earnest, everywhere I could, because the cleaning staff is almost totally useless. I agree, you have to beg for towels, beg for the room to be cleaned, everything is a struggle at this hotel. One bright spot, there was a very helpful and friendly young man working the desk after midnight that first night; he was the only staff member worth mentioning that I met on this trip. What a shame, this hotel has SO much potential, such a fantastic location. I hope the Barclay Towers cleans up their act or I hope some other better establishment takes them over. If you're going to VA Beach, please choose another hotel!!

• Stayed July 2005
9 Thank DONNA M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2005

The staff was nice and helpful. Had asked to be on a lower floor when I made our reservation - and was actually put on the 4th floor! Very quiet hotel on a good end of the beach. Rode the trolley a lot - and that was fun! Had a great view of the ocean. Suite was very spacious - tho a little backwards in that the bedroom was on the door side and the living room/kitchen was on the ocean side. The decorations were somewhat outdated and the bathroom needed some touch up work. The housekeepers didn't come at all - even tho we were only there 2 nights - the bed wasn't made and there were no clean towels. Was a musty smell when we got there, and we told the front desk about it, and they took care of it w/Fabreeze (actually -they gave us the bottle...). Breakfast was VERY disappointing. Not much to it - wound up going elsewhere to eat. Probably won't stay here again - can find better for the money.

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank sonshinex2
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2005

I was very impressed with the hotel expecially after all of the reviews. My husband and I took our 2 year old son. The only down side I found, which to us was a huge downside was we were on the 8th floor, and if my son would have tripped on the way out to the balcony he could have easily gone right through the balcony railing. I don't think they are up to code. But, that was the only problem. Everything else seemed great.

• Stayed August 2005