“Not ideal for a family vacation...”

Barclay Towers Resort Hotel
Ranked #14 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed here a couple weekends ago (August 2012). I wasn't expecting a 4 star hotel when I booked this hotel. We were only there for 2 nights and just wanted to be right on the beach front since we were staying for such a short period of time. It wasn't particularly clean but it wasn't horribly dirty either. The decor is definitely outdated. I would probably invest more money in a room at the Hilton or one of the nicer hotels if this is your family summer beach vacation. The walls are VERY thin and there are lots of screaming kids running around. But I thought it was sufficient for 2 adults looking for a last-minute beach weekend. Price was pretty high for the value, but it is right on the beach so I understand how they can get away with charging so much.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Priya B
barclaytowers, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Write a ReviewReviews (1,104)

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We vacationed at the Barclay August 1-August 6, 2012 Let me start by saying we save all year for our beach trip. The hotel is part of the overall vacation experience and we want something nice and relaxing. We knew that this hotel would not be plush but we did not expect what we experienced. This hotel offers NOTHING beyond the beachfront location. The service is poor and the hotel is below average(at best) in quality. I cannot think of one positive thing to say about my experience that I saved for all year. Honestly, we crashed the Marriott next door everyday which has a lovely outdoor pool, bar and great poolside food. The only reason this place stays in business is the oceanfront location. Stay elsewhere and save yourself the disappointment. This facility is really not the place to stay if you are expecting decent surroundings and a respectful staff. Have a yard sale, cut a day off your trip and stay somewhere nicer. Do whatever you have to to avoid this hotel. If it had not been for my family's good nature to make the best of a very bad situation, our trip would have been ruined.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 912TScott

Please accept my apologies for the problems you experienced on your recent stay with us. You can be assured that I have shared your comments with the appropriate staff, to help prevent the lack of respect from happening in the future. Virginia Beach is such a great Vacation destination, and it remains my goal to provide top notch accommodations

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Our family of four was pleased with our stay at Barclay Towers the week of July 21, 2012. Our first experience on the phone with the front desk was very helpful. We had booked this hotel through a second-party broker that rents out timeshare units for owners. I was a little leery booking this online. We called the Barclay Towers to make sure that our reservations were secure and the staff member went above and beyond her duties to ensure that our reservations were okay.

Our room on the 8th floor had a spectacular view of the beach. It included a balcony with 2 chairs and a table. The decor was a bit outdated but you could tell that it was maintained well with fresh paint. Nice size refrigerator and freezer had an automatic icemaker. We had 2 televisions, a DVD player, a pull out couch, and a separate bedroom. The housekeeping staff was very accomodating and left us plenty of fresh towels daily. Cleaning was offered twice that week as part of the timeshare deal. They were all very friendly when you passed them in the hall. We had called the front desk for extra pillows and blankets and had no problems recieving them,.

Indoor pool was "eh"..I'm not a fan of indoor pools. It would have been nice to have the option of an outdoor pool to take a break from the beach but no biggie.

Location was was perfect! Right on the beach, so if you wanted to run to your room to grab a snack or a bathroom break, very convenient! Bring your own beach chairs and umbrellas if you want to avoid rental fees as this hotel doesn't provide these items. Seems as though this is the case with most of the hotels in the area.

Parking was convenient and free. You parked in a garage across the street.

We didn't partake in the continental breakfast so I cannot comment.

Washer/dryers were available. A little old but good enough to do a load of towels if you'd like.

One thing that I wanted to mention. I want to commend the staff for being honest during a "situation". As we were driving home, we were 2 hours away and realized that my husband didn't have his expensive watch. We had known we had last seen it in the safe, but I hadn't checked for it before we left because I thought he was wearing it. We immediately called the hotel and had them check for us, and indeed, it was where we left it. We had left the safe open so anyone who entered the room could have taken it. They mailed it back to us and we received it in a few days.I only wish that I had taken down the name of the woman who helped us to give her supervisor good feedback.

Overall, I had a good experience and I would stay here again when travelling as a family.

Room Tip: All rooms face the beach
1  Thank Linda10312
barclaytowers, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. We take great pride in providing good value to our guests. I've shared your comments with those involved in getting your watch back to you. They appreciate being reconized for their honesty. Virginia Beach is such a great vacation destination! Hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I just wanted everyone out there who is considering this place as a place to stay while trying to get some relaxation and enjoy the beautiful beaches on the Virginia Coast line, Please reconsider staying here.Find some place where you will be treated with respect and feel secure!!! I want to share my experience with this place with everyone. First of all the place is extremely outdated, the rooms smell like mildew and are DIRTY!! The continental breakfast is hard boiled eggs, danishes and cold cereal, milk or orange juice. Not what I would consider a continental breakfast. Not to mention the tyrant who sits at the door guarding the food like it is gold!!! Seriously, nobody in their right mind would choose to come steal food from this place. The staff is extremely rude!!! All of the above can be overlooked and chalked up to the experience of never been to Virginia Beach!! BUT the best part of the whole situation is I put the DO NOT DISTURB sign on my door and room service comes in and Cleans (Scoops out) my room!! Only to have all of my cash money stolen from my purse the very next day!!! And the kind old manager only offers his assistance in calling the police for me to make a police report!!! Awww wasnt that kind of him!?!? No apologies! No offering of restitution!! Hell he didnt even offer to check the survelience cameras for me.... oh maybe because they dont have any!! He didnt even offer to check the door swipe!!!NOTHING!!! NOT A THING!!! His reply to my feeling of being violated was that they have had no problems with theft "this year" and they have not hired any new staff since the beginning of the season this year!!! Only for me to come home and do some research on the internet and find out HE LIED and did not want to own up to the many problems of theft they have had!! So if you would like some place to stay PLEASE DO NOT stay here if you have intentions on staying some place where you want to feel safe and have the desire to be treated with respect!!! The Schnoover INN is owned by the same company so I wouldnt recommend that place either!! The only good thing about my experience with this place is the view!!! Thanks for putting the window in the right place!!!
Oh Yeah... I forgot to mention the room temparture when we arrived at the hotel on Tuesday evening was 79 degrees we set the room temparture to 65 degrees and when we checkd out of this place the room temparture was finally down to 73 degrees.... a far cry from 65. Dont expect to go to this "RESORT" and be cooled down. Then you get in the elevator it is slower than molasses and stops at every single floor!!! SERIOUSLY?? I could have taken the stairs and got there faster, this stinks when you are on the top floor!!! Not to mention when I followed up with the President of the Association that owns this "Resort" regarding my concerns he was even less concerned with the problems I encountered!!! No wonder the customer service I received in the hotel was so wonderful!! He said he sure hoped that the police were able to recooperate my money!! Gee, thanks for your concern!! Glad you are worried about the customer service your hotel is providing!!! OH yeah might I remind you MR. PRESIDENT that it is the CUSTOMER paying your salary!!! Treat all your customers like you have just treated this one and you and your staff will be on the unemployment line shortly!!!

5  Thank Sandie M

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing that you're unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights with my wife and 17 year old son. Let me start off by saying that I am not very picky but I do expect certain things. When I go on vacation I expect my living space to not detract from my experience but I do not expect it to add to my experience either, if I did I would stay at really expensive hotels. Onward....

Staff : Friendly and helpful enough, cleaning staff usually had a smile and a hello. Our cleaning person came a bit later in the day (we were on the 7th floor out of 8) which a slightly inconvenient but oh well. Another reviewer mentioned their cleaning person came way too early so I bet it has something to do with what floor you are on. Anyway, they basically just made the bed and replaced the towels and restocked the shampoo/soap, if you are expecting more you will probably have to ask as they did not do dishes or vacuum or clean the dining room table.

Hotel : Decor is dated, I don't care about decor but I thought I would mention it. Two elevators, sometimes there were long waits for the elevators especially when people were checking in and out. The pool was not very impressive, I might have used it but there are always kids in it screaming and splashing. Same with the hot tub, kids always in it, not sure what can be done about that. The breakfast was nothing special but it was free food and drink (bagles, muffins, cereal, hard boiled eggs, juices, coffee), I do not know why people complain about free breakfasts. It is what is it, free food that saves you money. My only complaint was that the eggs seemed to go quick and were never replaced. Also, the first day we were there there was peanut butter available, our last four days there was no peanut butter. There was parking out front and across the street in a covered lot.

Room : The balcony was nice with a really good ocean view and view of the boardwalk, loved it! The decor was a bit dated but I don't really care about that stuff, some people might. The bed was comfortable enough and I liked the pillows. My son did not complain about the fold out sofa so I assume it was comfortable enough. The TV's were a bit small but I'm not on vacation to watch TV. The free wireless was a bit slow at times but it was free. Bathroom as sufficient, no problems there. kitchen was tiny, we never really used it but there was a microwave and small stove. There were very few pieces of tableware but enough to get by, I assume other residents either stole some of this stuff or just lost it. The fridge is your typical small dorm type fridge.

Overall this was a decent place to stay, if I were to return to this area I might try another place if the price was right but I would not rule out staying here again.

Room Tip: I requested a room high up for a better view (and it was great!) but if you want you room attended t...
3  Thank Randy M
barclaytowers, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. Thank you for posting your review. We take great pride in providing good value to our guests. We appreciate you business! Virginia Beach is such a great vacation destination! We look forward to your return visit

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Our issues were also with the front desk. When we requested towels or a pillow they said they would be there in a half hour, or if they didn't have any they would call back. NEVER HAPPENED! This happened 3 days in a row until we were fed up and called and called and called. Finally, they came to our room with towels and a pillow. Breakfast should just say continental not deluxe. Bagels, donuts, yogurt and hard boiled eggs. Our room was never cleaned nicely, they just made our bed and put new towels up. We always had to request at the front desk more coffee, soap, etc. Also, the maids came very early. Too early to go to the beach and they didn't give people enough time to get up and shower. Other hotels we stayed in the maids came around 11:00 a.m. These maids came at 9:00 a.m. So if you want to sleep in, put the do not disturb sign up. The sofa couch in the living room was very uncomfortable, you could feel the springs in your back. We wanted to stay longer but we couldn't last past 4 days. Also when we first got up to our room our safe was broke and so was our table. We had to call maintenance in our first 10 minutes and then got tied up waiting for them to be fixed instead of enjoying the beach. There are many more hotels on the boardwalk I would check out before you pick this hotel. Viriginia Beach was a nice place to visit.

Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you experienced during your stay with us. Your comments are essential to the operation, as they help us to better provide what our guests expect. You can be assured that I have shared your comments with the appropriate personel, to help prevent these problems from happening in the future. Virginia Beach is such a great Vacation destination, and it remains my goal to provide top notch accommodations for our visitors.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We went there with out reservations, and looked for a room for a reasonable rate. The hotel is situated in a good area, right on the beach, the rate was very good, hotels that were not on the beach wanted more, The room is a 2 room suite, with a door between them. One room has a double bed, the other has a pull out sofa, tiny stove, refrigerator, microwave, even has pots to cook and plates , cups, ect... The balcony was great , we watched the kids on the beach. The room is old, needs updating , but the price was great and so was the location. The breakfast was regular. We stayed on the second floor and it was a good view. The hotel is on the boardwalk toward were you rent jet ski's ( worked out great since thats what we did ), there are plenty of stores nearby, gift shops and convience stores, also get the pass for the, bus, $2.00 all day, goes up and down the strip

Room Tip: I would stay in a lower floor , less time on the elevator, also if you are in a rush you can just go...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mee46726
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. We take great pride in providing good value to our guests. We appreciate you business! Virginia Beach is such a great vacation destination! We look forward to your return visit