“Good enough for what it is”

Barclay Towers Resort Hotel
Ranked #14 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights with my wife and 17 year old son. Let me start off by saying that I am not very picky but I do expect certain things. When I go on vacation I expect my living space to not detract from my experience but I do not expect it to add to my experience either, if I did I would stay at really expensive hotels. Onward....

Staff : Friendly and helpful enough, cleaning staff usually had a smile and a hello. Our cleaning person came a bit later in the day (we were on the 7th floor out of 8) which a slightly inconvenient but oh well. Another reviewer mentioned their cleaning person came way too early so I bet it has something to do with what floor you are on. Anyway, they basically just made the bed and replaced the towels and restocked the shampoo/soap, if you are expecting more you will probably have to ask as they did not do dishes or vacuum or clean the dining room table.

Hotel : Decor is dated, I don't care about decor but I thought I would mention it. Two elevators, sometimes there were long waits for the elevators especially when people were checking in and out. The pool was not very impressive, I might have used it but there are always kids in it screaming and splashing. Same with the hot tub, kids always in it, not sure what can be done about that. The breakfast was nothing special but it was free food and drink (bagles, muffins, cereal, hard boiled eggs, juices, coffee), I do not know why people complain about free breakfasts. It is what is it, free food that saves you money. My only complaint was that the eggs seemed to go quick and were never replaced. Also, the first day we were there there was peanut butter available, our last four days there was no peanut butter. There was parking out front and across the street in a covered lot.

Room : The balcony was nice with a really good ocean view and view of the boardwalk, loved it! The decor was a bit dated but I don't really care about that stuff, some people might. The bed was comfortable enough and I liked the pillows. My son did not complain about the fold out sofa so I assume it was comfortable enough. The TV's were a bit small but I'm not on vacation to watch TV. The free wireless was a bit slow at times but it was free. Bathroom as sufficient, no problems there. kitchen was tiny, we never really used it but there was a microwave and small stove. There were very few pieces of tableware but enough to get by, I assume other residents either stole some of this stuff or just lost it. The fridge is your typical small dorm type fridge.

Overall this was a decent place to stay, if I were to return to this area I might try another place if the price was right but I would not rule out staying here again.

Room Tip: I requested a room high up for a better view (and it was great!) but if you want you room attended t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Randy M
barclaytowers, General Manager at Barclay Towers Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. Thank you for posting your review. We take great pride in providing good value to our guests. We appreciate you business! Virginia Beach is such a great vacation destination! We look forward to your return visit

Write a ReviewReviews (1,103)

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Our issues were also with the front desk. When we requested towels or a pillow they said they would be there in a half hour, or if they didn't have any they would call back. NEVER HAPPENED! This happened 3 days in a row until we were fed up and called and called and called. Finally, they came to our room with towels and a pillow. Breakfast should just say continental not deluxe. Bagels, donuts, yogurt and hard boiled eggs. Our room was never cleaned nicely, they just made our bed and put new towels up. We always had to request at the front desk more coffee, soap, etc. Also, the maids came very early. Too early to go to the beach and they didn't give people enough time to get up and shower. Other hotels we stayed in the maids came around 11:00 a.m. These maids came at 9:00 a.m. So if you want to sleep in, put the do not disturb sign up. The sofa couch in the living room was very uncomfortable, you could feel the springs in your back. We wanted to stay longer but we couldn't last past 4 days. Also when we first got up to our room our safe was broke and so was our table. We had to call maintenance in our first 10 minutes and then got tied up waiting for them to be fixed instead of enjoying the beach. There are many more hotels on the boardwalk I would check out before you pick this hotel. Viriginia Beach was a nice place to visit.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you experienced during your stay with us. Your comments are essential to the operation, as they help us to better provide what our guests expect. You can be assured that I have shared your comments with the appropriate personel, to help prevent these problems from happening in the future. Virginia Beach is such a great Vacation destination, and it remains my goal to provide top notch accommodations for our visitors.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We went there with out reservations, and looked for a room for a reasonable rate. The hotel is situated in a good area, right on the beach, the rate was very good, hotels that were not on the beach wanted more, The room is a 2 room suite, with a door between them. One room has a double bed, the other has a pull out sofa, tiny stove, refrigerator, microwave, even has pots to cook and plates , cups, ect... The balcony was great , we watched the kids on the beach. The room is old, needs updating , but the price was great and so was the location. The breakfast was regular. We stayed on the second floor and it was a good view. The hotel is on the boardwalk toward were you rent jet ski's ( worked out great since thats what we did ), there are plenty of stores nearby, gift shops and convience stores, also get the pass for the, bus, $2.00 all day, goes up and down the strip

Room Tip: I would stay in a lower floor , less time on the elevator, also if you are in a rush you can just go...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mee46726
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. We take great pride in providing good value to our guests. We appreciate you business! Virginia Beach is such a great vacation destination! We look forward to your return visit

Reviewed July 4, 2012

A friend/business associate booked our rooms and I didn't know what to expect until we got there. Friendly people at the service desk had us signed in quickly. Glanced through the door from the lobby and saw the ocean was right there. I went upstairs to my room and discovered the two room suite which was nice and quite comfortable. Enjoyed stepping out onto the balcony to look out at the ocean. The living room was nice with a table and couch and TV and kitchen. The bedroom was nice also and the bed was comfortable to sleep on. It was great to have breakfast outside and be able to see and hear the ocean. It was a nice setting for a business breakfast. This is definitely a nice hotel and I enjoyed being able to walk right out to the beach and also on the boardwalk. I didn't use the indoor pool but it was a good size and the area was clean.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank RichThornton_11
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Barclay Towers. It is very rewarding to my staff and I to read your positive review. We value your comments and suggestions and hope to see you on your next visti to Virginia Beach.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

We checked into this hotel in April because we were in town for a wedding. The first room we checked into was COVERED in BUGS. Dead bugs all over the window sills, bathroom, everywhere. Hundreds of them. We told front desk and they asked if we wanted them to spray the room! The bugs were already dead!!! They moved us to another room and it didn't have bugs but did have feces all over the bathroom wall. After a long ten hour drive we had to pack all of our things back in the truck and move to another hotel which we had to pay a premium for because of the last minute reservations. Very disappointing. PLEASE steer clear of this hotel. The staff was very nice but hotel is terrible!!! How do they call this a resort????

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank betc0126
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you experienced when checking in with us. Your comments are essential to the operation, as they help us to better provide what our guests expect. You can be assured that I have shared your comments with housekeeping and the front desk personel, to help prevent these problems from happening in the future. Virginia Beach is such a great Vacation destination, and it remains my goal to provide top notch accommodations for our visitors.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed at Barcley two times (Aug 2010/2011) & are coming back again this summer. The biggest advantage of this place - fully equipped kitchen, that makes this hotel a perfect vacation place for families with kids. We stayed each time for 7 nights & saved "lots" of money on cooking food ourselves. Groceries are available at the Harris Teeters (with guest discount card the prices are even cheaper than in Canada). Location is just perfect: proximity to all shops, restaurants, beach etc. Hotel is located on the not so noisy end of board walk & close to kids playground. Parking available in front of hotel as well as across the street (I recommend the second option - it is covered & car is not overheated). Breakfast is a very basic one, but what do you need at 7 am: coffee, cereal, bagel, juice, toast, apple.. it is all there! Staff was dealing very professionally with all our requests. Why some people complain about the elevator being slow... it is OK ( do not expect high speed elevator in 8 store building; if it is too slow - take the steps & kill some calories!)/ Rooms are spacious & after two years of shopping around -- Barkley is still the best choice in terms of quality & price. Wireless internet is quite fast & free; complementary newspaper in the lobby: most of big cities hotels charge for this!! And the last: it is an amazing ocean front view in each room!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank VH-Toronto
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

I'm glad you enjoy being at Barclay Towers for your stays in Virginia Beach. It is very rewarding to my staff and I to read your positive review. We take great pride in providing a great value vacation, and look forward to seeing you back again.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

I have been traveling from New York to Virginia Beach for years (always during the month of August) and I always stay at an oceanfront hotel. I just love Virginia Beach and Barclay Towers is the perfect oceanfront hotel to stay at for a couple or a couple with up to two children. Units include a bedroom with a king sized bed and a living area with a queen sized pull out sofa. The living area also has a built-in kitchen with appliances including fridge, stove, sink, dishwasher, dishes, silverware, glasses, a table to eat at, etc... Although dining out is great (and I do recommend one of the many all-you-can eat seafood buffets located off the premises), having these built-in kitchen appliances can save you a lot of money even if only used for breakfast and/or lunch. All rooms are oceanfront, oceanfront, oceanfront. Did I say oceanfront? They include a balcony (except for the 1st floor which has a patio instead of a balcony) and if you leave the balcony door open, your room will be filled with the relaxing sounds of ocean waves crashing one after another. And do bring binoculars! Although you can see the dolphins swim by from your balcony without them, you'll want to have a pair for close ups. Oh yeah, and in the event that it rains, there is an indoor swimming pool, hot tub and exercise room located on the premises as well. I look forward to returning to Barclay Towers this August and each August thereafter.

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jim C
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

I'm glad you enjoy being at Barclay Towers for your stays in Virginia Beach. It is very rewarding to my staff and I to read your positive review. We value your comments and suggestions and look forward to seeing you in August.