“Completely Satisified!!”
Review of Capes Hotel

Capes Hotel
Ranked #29 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed August 17, 2010

I booked my room based on the reviews here on TripAdvisor. The only negataive thing I agree with is the quality of the towels. The towels are very thin and are in desperate need of replacement. However that wouldn't stop me from booking this hotel again.

The staff was very accommodating. We arrived at VA Beach at 9:40am. I went into the hotel and let them know. They gave me a parking pass for the duration of my stay and asked for my cell phone number and said they would call me as soon as a room was ready. We received a call around 12:30. I was too busy at the beach to leave and go check in so we didn't check in until after 3:30. We didn't want to miss out of the gorgeous beach weather, so decided to stay on the beach until later in the day.

The room is exactly as most reviews have said. I didn't have a problem with the cleanliness. I found it clean and the sheets and bedspread were clean also. The bed was comfortable enough. We didn't have any problems with the TV. The air conditioner was a bit loud. It is the old fashioned kind with each room having an individual unit. I could deal with it.

The rules people have complained about. Well I traveled with just myself and 18 year old daughter. I don't think asking you to prove you are a guest at the hotel after midnight is a bad thing. They have 24 hour staff and why not be cautious. Not a big deal. As for the internet. They don't try and fool you, the website states there is only access in the lobbies. Not a big deal we knew it going in.

I really like the location. Right on 20th street in the middle of the boardwalk. We parked our car and never moved it the three days we were there.

Overall I would go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank momtoo2
There are newer reviews for Capes Hotel

Reviewed August 16, 2010

The Capes has a great location. Parking is not the greatest but it's onsite. The hotel is very small compared to others. Upon arrival were found out that there are several rules in effect (a whole sheet of rules). Some are No Visitors, Curfew at 12 midnight if out later you must show ID and room key. We had a room that sleeped 6 but we only received 2 keys, and it's a charge if you lose or mess up your key. C'mon people are here on VACATION to be FREE!! I felt like I was in boarding school. The bathroom is very small, no obese person would be comfortable. Most of the tv channels did not come in clear. Also wi-fi was only available in the lobby area. The pool area was extremely small and hot! Several of the guests used the pool as a place to get the sand off their body. Maybe the Capes should make that one of their rules lol. Next time I will spend my money else where! I advise you to do the same!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank AJ3859
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We stayed at the Capes for 4 nights.
We didn't expect the Hilton, but....
The cleanliness of the hotel was almost non-existent. The cleaning lady -only one in the entire hotel!!!!- came every other day and very late. The hallways did not have airconditioning. The hotel was smelly! The sheets were worn and felt like sandpaper. But the most ridiculous item were the towels. Only in 3rd world countries I saw towels like that! Paperthin and very small! Luckly I read the reviews before going to the hotel and I brought my own towels from home. I saw other guests with their own towels as well!
The location is very good. In the middle of everything!
The staff is OK. Not too nice!
The pool is very small and on the way to the beach! Ha! Ha!
The good think was that there is a microwave and a frige in the room. We made breakfast every morning. Bring your own dishes!
The airconditioning in the room is old and makes a lot of noise!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Freedom2012
Reviewed July 24, 2010

This was a great hotel with a very friendly staff. The room was clean with a good layout (vanity was outside of tub/toilet area). The hotel was full during our stay but was very quiet. There was no noise heard through the walls. Very close to all activities and had a nice oceanfront balcony. Would definitely stay here again.

2  Thank smithsweare
Reviewed July 15, 2010

This motel was VERY clean!!! The staff were very friendly and helpful. We stayed over July 4th weekend, and the beach was packed, but the motel handled the guests with no problems.

The room we had was 2 double beds, but a nice little kitchen area with microwave, and a small frig. This made it handy to have snacks and make sandwiches before going on the beach. The hotel has a VERY small indoor pool. There is also a small cafe, the service was terrible every time we were there, so we finally went to some other restaurants along Atlantic Ave.

The biggest problem we had were the linens. This may sound crazy, but the beds had no fitted sheet, just flat sheets used for fitted. Plus the sheets were very worn and were pilling, we felt like we were sleeping on sandpaper. Plus the bath towels were very worn and small.

But, we had beautiful weather and spent most of our time on the beach.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MRSHENN
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Stayed in the Capes Hotel for five nights. Have several complaints:

1) Worst maid service I ever had in a hotel. The cleaning lady the one day just put in new towels, picked up the garbage (and left plenty dropped garbage on the ground in the room), and made the beds. She didn't vacuum, clean the bathroom sink or tub, and didn't mop the bathroom floors. We had cleaning issues thru out our stay, even after complaining.

2) Beds have no support, my back ached every morning.

3) Towels were thin and small as can be.

I wasn't expecting this to be the Hilton, but have at least the common services you would get at any hotel that would bring customers back. Unfortuntely they were greatly lacking.

1  Thank SpiroPa
Reviewed July 10, 2010

I have stayed in several hotels in Virginia Beach over the past couple of years. The Capes is by far the best value! You could not ask for better service! The rooms were very clean. The bathrooms were very small, however this allows for more room elsewhere. I would highly recommend a stay here! And I plan to return in August.

2  Thank cdilli