“Very disappointed”

Travelodge Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #89 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed June 19, 2007

First of all, the picture online doesn't show justice. The parking lot was not too bad. I will not comment on the lobby or elevator (being slow), our room was our main objective. Upon entering our room there was an odor. This is an indication that the room mostly likely was not cleaned properly. The room size was not bad and we liked the separate bedroom for privacy. The kitchen and bathroom were filthy. The refrigerator had a fishy odor and needed defrosting. The bathroom was old and dirty. The tub had very bad stains and the toilet had splatter marks and hair on it. The bathroom floor was also dirty. I started cleaning immediately with a disinfectant we brought along on our trip. When we went to bed on the first night, we couldn't figure out where the stinch was coming from. After smelling around the bed we found that one pillow on each bed stunk very badly. We changed the pillows and pillow cases with spares from the closet. This is by far the worse hotel we have ever stayed in. When I asked the cleaning personnel the following day for clean linens and towels, she looked confused, could this be because I spoke English?? We could not get internet connection like they advertised. The front desk gave us a box to hook up to and that did not work either. We had to use our laptop in the hotel lobby. The pool seemed to be kept clean. Oh, and I should remind you of the electric problems in this hotel. On our second day stay, the bedroom electricity would not work. They fixed it in a timely manner. I found by other guests that they too had electrical problems. This hotel should probably be rewired or condemned. It's probably a fire hazard! If you are looking for a clean hotel room, I would not recommend this hotel. I felt like we were staying at a hotel that posted a sign saying "Enter At Your Own Risk!"

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed June 6, 2007

Okay, so lets give it to you straight up.... was at the travelodge and the picture you see is the back of the hotel (the "nicer" side) the front part facing the ocean leaves a little to be desired but no big deal... the lobby is small and the "breakfast" is a joke, it is some ,muffins on a plate and juice, which is good if thats what your into. The rooms were okay, and were a decent size, the bathroom was a little small but it got the job done. The best thing about this hotel is that you save some cash and your still in the heart of downtown virginia beach, you can walk to restaurants and stores, awesome (which is more than you can say about the rest of the place) I would have been happy with my stay, if we hadn't accidentally taken a trip to the seventh floor were are run down, non-tv working hotel, suddenly transformed into a freshly painted, ceramic tile, artwork and plants hotel. I'm not sure if halfway up the hotel gets nicer or if its getting re-modeled, but I would aim high if you want to stay at this Travelodge

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank ldouglasr87
Reviewed May 28, 2007

My stay at this hotel was the worst I have ever experienced. The rooms were filty and the suite was very small. I could here all the outside noise in my bedroom at night. There were cigarette burns on the tv, the couch had holes in it. The tv in the living room area was broke. The picture was yellow. The tub got clogged and when the cleaning guy came to fix it he said there was hair in it which wasn't no one from my family cause we had not even taken a shower. There was an empty condom wrapper in the floor under the bed and it didn't come from anyone in my family as well. This was my kids first vacation to the beach and it was very unsanitary. I walked to one of the marts and brought clorox bleach and sprayed the room down to try to make the best of it but after 2 nights we just checked out of the hotel and cut the vacation short. When the maintenance man came to out room he was saying that the front desk gave the wrong room number and then he came back later and asked a 2nd time was there something wrong with our door although we never even called. He had tattoos and some ripped jeans on which gave me no indication that he even worked for the hotel, he had no uniform. I felt so dirty in this room, didn't even feel secure at all. I really am upset and pissed that I spent my hard earned money on this and on top of that I even let my kids stay in this filty place. Avacation is a nice place to go away from home but after being here, I would have much rathered spent my time here at home. The kids hated the room and didn't even want to stay. I sure wish I had read all the reviews before I booked here but I know next time and never again would I stay here. Oh and when I asked to see a manager, I was told he would be in the next day and when I checked out I requested him, They claimed he wasn't there and they didn't know when he would be in...... It was proabably the manager that I was speaking too and he probably knew I was going to complain about similar things he had already heard but thats okay I hope my review help others to not choose this place. The health Dept. Really needs to close it down cause its not healthy for humans and definately unsanitary for any child to be in!!!

If you see any good reviews on here they are probably made up ones from the managers and the employees that work there so they can continue to take peoples money. Don't book your room with this hotel please!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank angryone21
Reviewed May 28, 2007

After reading the negative reviews here, I thought I would still give the Travelodge a chance. For the price I paid (about $98 a night) for Memorial Day weekend, I expected a little more. The room had a lot of huge stains on the carpet, the bathroom was old and had cracks on the wall. We stayed two nights, and housekeeping didn't even clean the bathroom or give us fresh towels. They only made the beds. The front desk was not very friendly. Also lots of noise from people running around, and you can hear people talking very easiy. The room was definitely not noise-proof. The free continental breakfast consists of juice, coffee, mini donuts and small muffins you can grab on the go. The saving grace was that it was a good location only a block away from the beach. The area was safe and you get free parking. Next time I would pay more for a better hotel.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2007

We stay at this Travelodge every year in Virginia Beach for the art show on Father's Day weekend. It is an older hotel, so things aren't exactly luxurious, but our room has always been clean. House keeping has always taken very good care of replacing towels and cleaning our room any time we have asked. The price is the best that I have found in the area for oceanfront. The location puts us in the middle of it all. We can walk to the clubs, restuarants, and the "amusement park".
I would say the atmosphere isn't the best place for a family. We have
stayed on the Southern end of Virginia Beach and it was much more quiet. We were bored on the south end, so really 19th Street works better for us. If you're looking for a hotel that will pamper you, then this isn't it. They check you in, change your towels and check you out. It's an average hotel with no extra bells and whistles. We will continue to stay there every year because it's affordable, familiar, and we have lots of fun memories there.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2007

Never, ever, stay at The Travelodge Suites at 1909 Atlantic Avenue, (on the beach) Virginia Beach, Va. Unless you desire a vacation atmosphere that is similar to a prison camp or the projects. The hotel, if you wanna call it that, is located in the seedy section of VA Beach. It is in the heart of chaos. There were people hanging out and making noise. The atmosphere was extremely ghetto and unsophisticated. Please do not take your children here! This spot is not for lovers either. It is on the part of the strip that had four or five bars and nightclubs. There were police and guards everywhere and this was not even high-peak season! You will be better off staying further north or south of this property. Atlantic Avenue has so many better options and it is like night and day going further away from the chaos.

Their link makes the property look so inviting. It's all a lie! The picture of the lobby they have is not the lobby that we saw. Major fabrication, that had to be another site's lobby!

We stayed in that room 15 minutes before we left out and decided to find another place to stay. We had a sense of doom from the moment we pulled into that cramp, unsecure parking lot. The parking was horrible! The office had dingy windows and was dirty inside. The elevator was dirty and had a horrible odor. The hallways were equally terrible. I hate cylinder block walls and the lighting was dim and had a urine stinch. Once entering the room, (which the lights did not work probably because they wanted you to see as little as possible), the lock and doorknob on the front door was raggedy and loose. The door to the patio was not a pretty, glass sliding or french doors, but a regular steele door with again, had an unstable, shakey lock. The so-called kitchen was somewhere I would not boil water in, let alone cook! The bathroom had a nasty odor with dirty tile and an old looking toilet and tub. The bedroom was somewhere I could not feel comfortable sleeping in. It smelled like air freshner covering up the scent of urine...the two together does not mix well. The only good thing about that place was the fact that the desk clerk was very accommodating and refunded our initial deposit and let us go about our business with no problem! They must be used to people walking right in and then right back out.

Take it from me, you may pay a little more staying somewhere else, but it is worth it. I have nothing to gain from this review. However, you have alot to gain by taking heed to this review. Do not stay here, unless like I said, grimey is good for you. You and your friends or family deserve so much better. Take a chance if you want to. Consider yourself warned and informed at this point.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple