“AWFUL... even for a TRAVELODGE”

Travelodge Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #91 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
maryland
“AWFUL... even for a TRAVELODGE”
Reviewed July 4, 2010

The lobby smelled like oversprayed cleanser. there was only one rickity elevator and two hot smelly gross stairwells. The continential breakfast is worse than a jail. it consists of a muffin and raisin bran cereal... if you come on a lucky day you might get a danish. hotel needs to be renovated from top to bottom. The hallways suck. the airconditioners for the rooms are placed so that when you walk hot gross smelling air blows on your face. for a little more money you can get a lot better. the doors and frames are all rusted and the railings on the balconies are falling apart (which is a safety hazard if you have children) THE ROOMS are ok but on the low end of ok. the living room is bright, decorated sparsely. the bedroom is dark and reminds you of a cave. BATHROOMS were worst part. you have to sit on your toilet sideways because there is not enough room to sit on it facing forward. the bathroom is moldy and is a joke PLEASE DONT STAY!!! although if your on a budget there are nicer hotels that are less expensive

1 Thank ocmdtraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Apple Grove, West Virginia
Reviewed June 23, 2010

I had reserved this room 2 months earlier and then decided to read the reviews. After reading all the horrible things people were saying, I almost changed my reservation but decided not to. After all, we camp in the outdoors so how bad could it be. We were very pleasantly surprised! The young man who checked us in was very polite and allowed us to check in early because our room was ready. When we got to the room, the AC was on and it was cool. The rooms were clean, the linens freshly changed, and everything worked the way it was supposed to.
I dont know the people who wrote the terrible reviews but everyone in my group were pleasantly surprised. Sure, this is an older hotel, but as long as it is clean, I don't mind. The only problem I have is that I reserved my room 2 months in advance and a couple came in off the street and got a room for about $25.00 per night less while I was in the lobby.
Oh well, you cant expect everything to be perfect.

Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed June 14, 2010

I normally do not write reviews, however, I think this time I should. We traveled with my family of 10 people, which included 4 children. When we checked in and went up to our rooms, we immediately checked out. The rooms had black mold growing around the windows, they didn't look like they had been cleaned, etc. I definately do not suggest this hotel to anyone.

Altoona, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 11, 2010

It shocks me that I had this experience because after reading the reviews about this hotel I contacted Customer Service and the Manager of the hotel prior to my arrival. I was assured by Customer care that they have "Standards" for their franchises and if there is any problem at all contact them on arrival and they will take care of it. Also the manager of the hotel told us he would make sure the room was ready and take us to the room prior to check in to insure we were happy with it. When I got to the hotel, there was no power do to a transformer blowing in the area. The girl at the front desk was very flustered and wanted to take my credit card info by writing it down since she had no power for the computer. I asked about having someone take me to my room, she stated the manager was gone and no one else was available.The doors to the stairwells were outside and didn't even close, so anyone outside have access to the hotel. When we got to our room, it was beyond words. First of all we could not get the door open because of the rust and it being jammed. After finally getting it open, the room was gross a half eaten sandwich on the table beer cans and cigarette ash everywhere. The couch was wet and ripped. Bedroom linens were stained and dirty and there was urine all over the bathroom floor. We went downstairs and were so embarrased that I had brought my friends to this dump. I was 8 hours away from home and was assured by both Customer Service and Hotel Management that I would not have a problem. I called custoemr service, and this was probably the worst part, I was told by "Tom" that because it is a franchise, they take no responsibiliities for what they do or how there hotels look. I had to take up my problems with the Hotel Manager, who had already left for the day. I was left with no options, so I walked next door to the Fairfield Inn and booked a room there. When I checked out from the Travelodge, I asked that the General Manager call me , I have yet to hear from him and it's been over 10 days. I advise you , if you do book this hotel, have a backup, because this hotel was not a place I could sleep especially when traveling with a one year old baby. Due to my expereience with custoemr service , I have thrown away my rewards card, and will not stay at another Wyndam Property, especially becasue they don't care what they put there name on, obviously they have no "standards" for there hotels.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 10, 2010

This hotel was absolutely disgusting, so gross I cried after walking into the place, and packed my belongings and left after 30 minutes. There were cigarette burns and hair in the bathtub, stains on the thirty-yr old furniture, and rust on the doors. Not to mention my mom asked to check in early, they said no, and then asked to use a bathroom, which they also told her no. We should have known right there that it was not going to be a good experience. The bathroom also had mold on the ceiling, and was incredibly small. The paint was peeling on the outside of the place. It saddens me to know that people who come to Virginia Beach for vacation would subject themselves to these unsanitary conditions. The Travelodge on 19th street should be condemned and torn down, go to the Boardwalk Inn, much better!!~

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Morristown, Tennessee
Reviewed May 3, 2010

We stayed here while my daughter had a cheerleading competition. The room was very big with a living room, kitchen and bedroom. Our room had a fridge and microwave and a friends room even had a stove. Pool wasn't opened yet and that was a bummer but it was right on the boardwalk close to the fishing pier. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Millbury, Ohio
Reviewed April 30, 2010

Please, please, please read the reviews! This hotel is ranked as one of the worst hotels in VB ... and there is reason! The staff is horrible and unprofessional! The rooms are so old and dirty it is disgusting! Stains all over the carpet. Carpet was ripped in sections. The balcony was rusted and I was scared to sit in the dirty chairs! The breakfast is a joke ... don't even consider eating it! The washer and dryer were broke while there. When asking the staff when it would be fixed she stated "it's been broke for a week now, I have no idea" Seriously? I did not feel safe walking to my room alone. There were "hecklers" yelling off the balcony anytime I went to the car. It was really scary. The bathrooms are so small, you can barely close the door behind you. The only good thing was the location to the beach!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family