“Please read---do not...I repeat do not stay here!!!!!!”

Travelodge Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #90 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
North Carolina
“Please read---do not...I repeat do not stay here!!!!!!”
Reviewed March 12, 2010

My Family and I decided to go to VA. Noticed that the hotels were pretty pricey in that area and being on a budget. We choose to stay here since the pictures looked ok. The price was in our budget and we were just not planning on being in the room all that much. Please DO NOT ruin your trip by staying here. We normally stay in budget hotels when we travel so we can splurge on other things. We are a normal couple, Avg. family dont expect alot and dont demand anything. This is the first BAD review I have given anything in my life. The hotel looks good enough from the outside, but be warned the trouble that learks once the open the door the staff is not very friendly or helpful. The FREE food consist of coffee and some kind of biscuit looking thing. The parking is cramped you actually have to drive through the hotel itself via a small breezeway to get to the rear parking. After I recieved my key and seen our room. It Stunk, The balcony door would not lock. The deadbolt was broken on the front door and the A/C was not working. I immediately asked to be changed to a different room, Which they did with little complaints they barely even spoke, like they could care less. Recieved my new key hoping that since I booked the hotel through expedia that I just recieved a lemon room to begin with. WRONG second room was dirty, bathroom was dirty, We refused to eat off the dishes in the Kitchen. Cig burns on the carpet/sink/bathtub. The TV even had a hole melted in the top of it. The front door locked in this room but there was still about a 2in gap underneath. The balcony door would not lock either, But at least the A/C worked in this room. The balcony was concrete. Each balcony was seperated by a peice of plywood that lacked a foot from reaching the ceiling or the floor. So in other words someone could easy crawled under this gaining access to YOUR room. The sheets in the room stunk the bed slept awful. The drain in the bathroom sink took at least a half hour to let the water out. Seen several cockroaches in the hallway's leading into the room's. I cannot say enough bad about this hotel. Ruined our trip to VA beach. Dont know if I will ever go back because of this place. Our room was non-refundable, but we actually went looking for another hotel to stay at, at this point we didnt care about losing the money and all was booked. The state of VA. should condem this place. We left 1 day early to come home due to a stabbing/ robbery that took place a few blocks down at another hotel. PLEASE think about spening the extra money to stay somewhere else. I have never been anywhere and felt scared but here. Would not put my dog up in this hotel. We actually would leave and just drive around so we didnt have to be in and out of this place during the day. I hope this saves someone the heart-ache that me, my wife and my 4yr old had to deal with. I wish I had photos to attach of this place and I sure would all I have is outside pictures. which is greatly misleading.........STAY AWAY, STAY FAR AWAY.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
FRANKLIN
Reviewed December 30, 2009

My spouse and I stayed there 3 times, the first couple of times was okay, based on the cheap rate, but the 3rd time, just pure disgusting. First of all, I requested a room on the 7th floor and the receptionist said that every floor from the 7th on down to the 3rd floor was damaged by the NorEaster, which was understandable. The first room she gave us was uncleaned, the carpet needed vacuuming, the sofa sanked to the floor when you sat on it, and the heat didn't work. I ask the receptionist for another room and she said she could not give us another room until maintenence check out the problem. It took maintenence 30 minutes. To make a long story short, the second room was cleaner than the first one except that when we turned on the heat it smell like urine and the door that led to the balcony was stuck, and the partition was knocked down so you can see next door. Very rude receptionist!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
melbourne
Reviewed November 12, 2009

We stayed here after reading all the negative reviews thinking we are pretty open minded people - I am sure these people with their bad reviews are just snobs and dont know how to just enjoy what they have. Unfortunately they were spot on not only were we greated by the rudest receptionist ever who was just ridiculously revolting but our room stunk like smoke even though we asked for a non-smoking room and there seemed to be no control whatsoever over people staying in the building. The night before my sister and I were to leave Virginia for New York we were kept awake by screaming people outside our apartment till 3.00am!! Not only were they screaming but they were also threatening each other and yelling abuse at one another, needless to say we did NOT feel safe at all! The only positive about this hotel is the view of the beach and the fact that all apartments have balconies. We were really prepared to just enjoy our time in Virginia Beach and relax but unfortunately it was the worst part of our America trip and that has a lot to do with the tackyness and feralness that is this hotel and their disgraceful staff!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Massachusetts
Reviewed November 12, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights Columbus day weekend. The location is great, right on the beach. The 2 room suite has the bedroom (2 beds) in the back room, no windows. The front room has a sofa bed and kitchenette. The bathroom (toilet and shower) is very small and in the back. There is a sink between the 2 rooms.

The room has some obvious maintenance issues, i.e. moldy shower ceiling, a little peeling paint, etc. Nothing I couldn't handle, though. It was $79/night on the beach, so, o.k. Housekeeping did a good job every day, clean sheets and towels. Front desk personnel were friendly.
The breakfast is just mini powdered donuts or muffins, Raisin Bran or Frosted Flakes, and juice.

I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Being on the beach was great. The sunrises were awesome. I left happy with everything, until...we got home and my son says "gee..I have all of these bites..." His arms, legs, and belly were covered with red bites. The next day, I had them too. Since we weren't outside and there weren't any mosquitoes, I can only deduce that the place had BEDBUGS.
We washed everything in hot water and thoroughly vacuumed our house, now we can only hope that we had no hitchhikers..

I called the manager several times, he finally returned my call after 2 weeks. All I got was a weak apology and a "I'll look into your account". he said they had pest control look at the room and said that he "found nothing". Sure.
All I can say is, it's a lovely place, if you want to gamble on an infested room. Hey, maybe yours will be the bug-free room!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Senorheath
Baltimore
Reviewed November 10, 2009

This place is dirty and falling apart. The walls are crumbling. the light switches don't work and the windows too filthy to see the ocean. The kitchen consisted of a small microwave, a small refridgerator which was falling apart and a one cup coffee maker. Even though there was no range they did supply a frying pan but no dishes at all. The internet required a long sign in process requiring the user's e-mail and once it finally worked it was restricted as per the hotels standards. The room also had a bad odor and electrical cords stapled to the wall. I advise picking a better place to stay like the sidewalk out front with the local wino.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Manchester, NH
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This hotel was clean. The staff was friendly. The continental breakfast was awesome. It was easy to get items we needed because everyone spoke English. The beach was steps from the hotel. It was nice and quiet. The parking was free. It was easy to get to major attractions and everything we needed was only minutes. We will be coming back here again and again whenever we visit VA beach(and that is pretty often since it's where we got married!) Thanks Travelodge!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
usa
Reviewed October 3, 2009

Just driving up this place looked skeezy. Half of the sign on the front of the building was gone! The elevator was rickety and probably could use a little service. Immediately upon exiting the elevator and going down the hall to our room, it had the gas station public restroom smell. Our room, at least, did not smell the same. The tub and sink barely drained. I was up to my ankles in water by the time my shower was over, gross. All over the tub/shower walls and ceiling it looked like there was mold at some point. Lots of black spots. One of the folded "clean" washclothes in the bathroom looked like someone had wiped their makeup on it. It was not us! Throughout the room it just looked beat up and uncared for. Do not believe the pictures. They are either super old, or model rooms that they don't rent out. The view and proximity of the beach was definitely the best thing about staying there. The "continental breakfast" was definitely lacking. I guess you do get what you pay for!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends