“Save up and spend a little more for somewhere else”

Travelodge Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #89 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed October 3, 2009

Just driving up this place looked skeezy. Half of the sign on the front of the building was gone! The elevator was rickety and probably could use a little service. Immediately upon exiting the elevator and going down the hall to our room, it had the gas station public restroom smell. Our room, at least, did not smell the same. The tub and sink barely drained. I was up to my ankles in water by the time my shower was over, gross. All over the tub/shower walls and ceiling it looked like there was mold at some point. Lots of black spots. One of the folded "clean" washclothes in the bathroom looked like someone had wiped their makeup on it. It was not us! Throughout the room it just looked beat up and uncared for. Do not believe the pictures. They are either super old, or model rooms that they don't rent out. The view and proximity of the beach was definitely the best thing about staying there. The "continental breakfast" was definitely lacking. I guess you do get what you pay for!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,175)

Reviewed September 14, 2009

Don't stay here - ever! The pool was dirty! The maid was a very rude woman! She practically threw a box at us as we were checking out. Then had the nerve to tell other guests that we were dirty!! (never mind the fact that our last full day at the beach all she did was bring us fresh towels)...the fridge didn't work...DON'T STAY HERE - EVER!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2009

~~We fit into many categories.....family with a 6 year old, a daughter that is 20, her 18 year old friend, my 23 year old Navy man, my 45 year old hubby, and my 45 year old rear end. We all had a great time after the shock of being mislead was cleared up. I could not sleep the entire night before we left Indiana due to the horrific reviews about this hotel. I hope to help alleviate some of those fears in someone else. I don't want them to go through what I did!
~~I arrived early (10am) and was allowed to visit the pool until check in time and was told instead of 4pm I could check in at 2pm with no additional costs. The staff made me feel very comfortable. They joked around with each other like me and my siblings and just like my children joke with each other. No stuffed shirts here! They didn't have a public restroom but did not hesitate to help me find one so me and my family could go ahead and get dressed to enjoy the beach while we waited.
~~The lobby was small but I was only there to check in, check out, and get the free continental breakfast. By the way, it consisted of: orange and apple juice, frosted flakes and raisin bran, mini muffins and mini powdered sugar cinnamon donuts, and coffee. Also, it was clean.
~~The living room was smaller than the picture made it look like but it was enough for us. We all had places to sit once we brought in a 3rd chair off of the balcony. 2 sat on the couch, 2 in the chairs that were already in the living room. There were 4 adults and one child to be in the room for the night. We found out after being there that my Navy son was able to spend the night with us. We did just fine anyway. The air conditioner worked fine, the microwave worked, the fridge worked and it was big enough to hold 20+cans of soda, lunch meat, left over large pizza, go-gurts, potato salad container (4lb size), go-gurts, and more. Whomever complained about the fridge size must have expected a house size fridge, that it is not. The balcony door did stick and took an extra jerk to get it open but it did lock.
~~We did not use the safe but it appeared to be adequate.
~~The bedroom was smaller than the photo made it look also. There was barely room to walk past the second bed to get to the restroom. There was no chair in the bedroom to sit on while you dress, but the side of the bed was available to change from. I read about the "bed bugs" and was scared to death. I had already paid for the room when I found these reviews.Scared me so badly that I thought I was going to have another heart attack. I did not sleep at all the night before we left. I went to the store and bought bug spray and plastic drop clothes to cover the mattresses with because I could not afford to change hotels. That was just not an option for me. I did what the Board of Health suggested (here in our state) to check for bed bugs in hotels before you decide to stay. I ran a kleenex along the underside seam of the mattress. If it comes back red, you have bed bugs. The kleenex came back clean! We have been home for 36 hours and none of us have any problems with any rashes or bug bites. I did not have to open the drop cloths or get the bug spray out of the truck.
~~The restroom is small but I am 5'4", 200 lbs and I was able to sit on the commode just fine. Sure it was easier to sit sideways but you don't HAVE to. The tub is not a 3' tub like I read on one review.I could have sat in the tub had I chose to, WITH my legs extended! The tub spout did come out from the wall without being flush with the wall board. I was not there to remodel the place or to rent it out for the month so I didn't care how far it stuck out from the wall. The tub had cigarette burns on it but that is what you get in a smoking room where inconsiderate renters did not use an ashtray. I don't expect them to change out the tub every time someone has no manners or respect for other peoples belongings.Now is it was 300 per night I might expect a little more. Coming out of the vent was the smell of marijuana. Me and my ole man suspected it was coming from the adjacent room. I do not blame that on the management as some of the review writers.We had plenty of towels also.
~~The sprinkler system was added after the hotel was done (at least in our suite) so they boxed it in and attempted to blend it in. I knew I wasn't the interior designer of this property so I didn't care what it looked like as long as it worked. There was rust on the metal around the door frame where the lock was.
~~The balcony was approximately 3 1/2 to 4 feet in depth from wall to rail. Length was approximately 10 foot long. We had all of us (6 total) out there and did not bump each other while standing there looking out at the beach.
~~You could hear the traffic and the nightlife to some extent but you were out there by the happening area. You are where people know how to have fun. My 20 year old daughter and her 18 year old friend loved it. I am 45 and I enjoyed it.The Harley Davidson shop did NOT cause any drama. The only bikes you heard were the ones that went down the road.Motorcycles are loud so motorist see them and don't kill them.

My Navy son had a seizure last August and had been gone on medical hold for a year that I have not been able to see him. Saturday the 29th was his birthday and his 6 year old brother (whom has complicated epilepsy) could not remember him so I felt we needed to get these kids back together. I had a heart attack in July and don't know how long I have. This trip was VERY important to us. Thanks to this hotel we could afford to come here and give some much needed support to my own military young man. Thank you!

Reviewed August 31, 2009

I knew not to expect much, but it was better then I thought. The location is perfect. the room was great with having a 3 and 5 year old we could put them to bed and still enjoy the night in the living room. The front desk persons where very friendly and help us out when we needed it. You can not beat the price for a 1 bedroom suite room. We where there for 5 days and the maid cleaned up and provided towels everyday. So the only issue I had was the bathroom could use a good professional cleaning. Bring your Mr. bubbles. Parking is alittle tight for SUV's.

Reviewed August 31, 2009

This hotel is at an awesome location right on the boardwalk and within walking distance to tons of restaurants, bars, etc. The view of the ocean from the balcony is fantastic. I wouldn't say the room was dirty, but the old couch and carpet do look dingy. That aspect was no better or worse than any other cheaper hotel I've stayed in at the beach. The walls are thin so you can hear just about everything going on outside your room, including the live bands that seem to play nightly at the bar next door. The bathroom is very poorly designed—the toilet is set facing the tub, so if you're tall you have to sit on it at an angle. I hear it's uncomfortable. Luckily I'm short enough that I could sit on it normally. The sink is OUTSIDE the bathroom when you want to wash your hands afterward. Parking is tight and it seems like they would run out of spaces for guests, but each night we seemed to snag the very last parking spot. Some staff were helpful and nice, others seemed jaded and unfriendly. Considering how much I paid for this hotel right on the beach, it was a great deal. I would stay again if the price was right, but it wouldn't be my first choice of hotels.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We arrived at 11:30 although we had booked three rooms, we were told that they would not be ready until 4:00 we were told that we would be given a room until then. My traveling party consisted of fifteen people of extended family. We had a two month old, a family member with asthma, one with multiple schlosis, and one with diabeties. This wasmto be a vacation come true because this was the first time we were all together. We were not allowed to enter any room, and when we asked to use the facilities we were told to go use the public ones. Althoughnwe had paid for three rooms we were given a parking space and told not to move our vehicle which was a van, because the proprietor could not guarantee us a parking space this hindered sight seeing. When we did check in our rooms were separated by floors. My godson leaned on the counter and it broke at the place it had been glued. The manager called the police and proceeded to tell us that he did not want "YOU PEOPLE" to stay there anyway. The manager asked the police if her could arrest all of us including the two month old baby and he was told he could not arrest us. The manager didnot return the debit card the rooms were charged on and subsequently charged doulbe the price quoted on not only the debit card used, but also on the one used to secure the room ( which was mine , which prompted my sister and me to cancel the cards and since she was from New York another way to get cash). We were charged on both cards double for rooms that we DID NOT STAY in. This is a poorly run hotel and the manager should find anotherob where he does not have to deal with the public. His comment about "YOU PEOPLE" sounded racially motivated, and mean spirited. The fact that hecharged both of our cards when we did not stay, shows he is acting dishonsetly. This manager does not represent the TRAVELODGE franchise well. I will never, never, never stay at this hotel a will encourage all of my friends not to also.

Reviewed August 23, 2009

Ok, honestly, I was not expecting much when we picked this hotel online. We knew that the pool looked crappy online, but the rooms looked good and we figured we could trust a brand name hotel.

I'm going to start off with some positive points about this hotel. We drove 10 hours overnight from Ontario, Canada and we arrived at the hotel at around 10am. Check in wasn't until 4pm, but the nice girl at the front desk told us to check back at 2pm and she'll have a room for us, which was awesome because we were exhausted. The staff was very nice. The rooms were a pretty good size. The location is AMAZING!!! Beachfront view is fantastic. Our king size bed was nice and firm (no bed bugs present... but ALWAYS check first, just in case). We never used the pool, but it was cleaned nightly. There seemed to be adequate parking (always a few empty spots available).

Ok, now on to the negative points. There is only one elevator... not only does this elevator have to be shared amongst the 8 floors full of people and the maids, but there is no service elevator, so they also use the same elevator for the garbage... DISGUSTING!!!! There were a few times when there was at least an inch of garbage juice on the floor of the elevator... and it stunk sooooo bad!!! The pool is outdoors and it is streetside. Also, it is probably the only pool on the strip that is not locked, so anyone can technically jump into the pool. The room was fairly diappointing. Not very clean. I went to take a shower and there were curly black hairs stuck to the side of the shower... ewww!!! There was also crusty white stuff on the couch.... ewww!!! The balcony was spacious, but NOT completely private. There was a large gap on the bottom of the "plank" that was separating our balconies. Therefore make sure that you ALWAYS lock your balcony door!!!

This was our first and last time visiting the Travelodge. For an extra $20-$50 per night you can stay at a MUCH better hotel!!!! Please take my advise and DO NOT STAY AT THE TRAVELODGE!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple