“Absolutely Horrible”

Ranked #91 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Auburn, Ca
“Absolutely Horrible”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I booked a 5 night stay 5/15-5/20 here and ended up checking out after 2 nights... I am shocked I even lasted that long. I read past reviews and talked myself into the idea that "it cant be that bad" especially for the price and location. WRONG! the most filthy place I've ever walked into. I literally had to walk in sandles throughout the room and put a towel down inside the tub just to not expose my feet to the filth. I had to put an extra sheet I found in the closet over the sofa to act as a cover because the sofa was so stained and smelly I couldn't stand to look at it. After expressing my issues to staff they did not charge me for the remaining 3 nights of my reservation since I checked out early... but would not refund me the 1st 2 nights I stayed there. They said "since I had already slept there" I thought that was ridiculous, they could obviously see the living conditions they subjected me to for those 2 nights, but would not give me my money back! Awful experience.
Also- even though its on the beach, and view was decent.... this location and area of town is not the safest area of the boardwalk, be careful when it gets dark!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank Heather A
travelodge19, General Manager at Travelodge Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Let me thank you for taking the time to address this matter to our hotel as every comment, good or bad is important. As hospitality professionals we try our best to resolve concerns and offer the best service possible. Having said, that I would like to extend a sincerely apology for your stay and the events described in your review. All of our rooms are thoroughly cleaned and deodorized between guests but in this case it would appear that we may not have achieved success. If you would like to call the hotel and speak to me directly I would like to further learn from your experience and invite you to visit us later this season and offer us a chance to redeem ourselves in your mind.

757 425-0650

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Easthampton, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I dont understand all the bad reviews! If your expecting the Hilton for a cheap price don't come here. It's a motel people! Not a 5 star resort!! We booked the room for 3 nights and ended up staying an extra night because we liked it so much. The room was clean the beds were comfy and the view was amazing! You cant beat the price for the view. We were not dissapointed at all. We plan on going back next year. Thanks travelodge for a great vaction!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
travelodge19, General Manager at Travelodge Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Let me thank you for taking the time to address this matter to our hotel as every comment, good or bad is important. As hospitality professionals we try our best to resolve concerns and offer the best service possible. Having said, that I would like to extend a thank you for your comment(s) and I am glad that you had such a great experience. I hope to see you on a future visit at Travelodge Suites Oceanfront in Virginia Beach.

On behalf of the entire staff that work everyday, all day, to provide the best service possible I want to thank you for the great review!

Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights. Room was cheap! Reservation messed up but they fixed it. Wear shoes carpet kinda sticky! Tub not so nice...smelled whole time we were there. Our room was hot no air conditioning due to the fact it was cold outside. Good room if your not picky though..

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank eriegurl67
travelodge19, General Manager at Travelodge Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Let me thank you for taking the time to address these matter to our hotel as every comment, good or bad is important. As hospitality professionals we try our best to resolve concerns and offer the best service possible. After hearing from our customers we are making some great improvements to our hotel and rooms to make everyone's stay a little better. With fresh paint, some new sofas, flat screen TVs and repainted walkways around the hotel we making some big steps in the right direction. Having said, that I would like to extend a thank you for your comment(s) and I am glad that you had such a great experience. I hope to see you on a future visit at Travelodge Suites Oceanfront in Virginia Beach.

Rocky Mount
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Found out why this Hotel offered the cheapest Ocean Front Rates on the entire Beach. No HOT WATER period. It's really unpleasant to encounter cold showers every day, when the weather is not to great. When I told them at the front desk, I was told that they had it on the first floor (I was on the 7th) and that the Boiler was on the Roof above my floor. So I heated water in the Microwave for a basin bath.

Now for my next and final bad experience. I was there on business. I had reserved my room through the Wyndham Rewards Program that I belong to. I had reserved my room for four (4) nights. But, I found out that my trip was to be cut short after the third night. I proceeded to check-out after my third night and was told that due to 'Company Policy', I would be forced to pay for the entire amount and that I should have informed them 2 days prior that I was going to check-out early. They completely refused to refund my 4th night. So, when I turned my Receipts into the Main Office of my Employer (I used my Company Card to pay for the room), I informed them on this problem.

Needless to say, I was very dissatisfied with the Travelodge Inn & Suites at 1909 Atlantic Blvd. in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Room Tip: If you cannot afford to go elsewhere, make sure you get a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
travelodge19, General Manager at Travelodge Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Let me thank you for taking the time to address this matter to our hotel as every comment, good or bad is important. As hospitality professionals we try our best to resolve concerns and offer the best service possible. Having said, that I would like to extend a sincerely apology for your stay and the events described in your review. As a hotel in a resort area we have a limited season therefore our policy on cancellation is one that we, as other hotels, enforce. We will certainly review our policy based upon your suggestion and consider giving the desk some latitude in this area. If you would like to call the hotel and speak to me directly I would like to further learn from your experience and invite you to visit us later this season and offer us a chance to redeem ourselves in your mind.