Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 21, 2007

I had mixed feelings coming here because of the mixed reviews on this website. When I finally arrived, I was pleasantly impressed by the clean, modern and friendly atmosphere. As requested, we stayed in a high floor King size guest room. The balcony (small though) was very nice and almost worth the price of the room (a bit pricey but oceanfront room so what do you expect?) The view was spectucular each and every morning. The room itself was very clean and spacious. The area in and around the hotel was very nice and tranquil. It definitely is the quieter part of the beach/boardwalk but still had it's fair share of visitors. Even though the beach was nice, I enjoyed the pool more (it was more refreshing with the waterfalls). The water was a bit cool but once you got in, it was perfect. The pool inside was tiny. Not worth it if its too nice and hot outside, better at the outside pool. If I had to complain about something, it would be nice if there was complientary breakfast each day! We ate once in the Ocean Grill restaurant for breakfast it was a reasonable ($9.99 buffet) plus they gave you a 25% coupon upon check in. I would stay here again if I come around the area again. Not much to do on the strip unless you into corny entertainment! or quick fix foods (a lot of seafood places if your into that) Your better off driving a few miles to go a mall or a nice restaurant which we did.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank blades01

Reviewed July 9, 2007

After last year's disaster at the Four Sails, we were looking for cleanliness - at any price. We found it at the Courtyard, for $366/night ($320+tax).
This place is squeaky clean. The one bedroom unit is very spacious (~550sqft) and relatively well maintained. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The view from the 11th floor is outstanding. The location is at the north end of the boardwalk, i.e. the "quiet" area, if there is such a thing.
Unfortunately, this steep price does not include breakfast, or I would have given it an "excellent" rating. Luckily, there is a breakfast place (Pocahontas) just down the street, where you can supersize yourself and go into cholesterol shock for a reasonable price.
This hotel does not leave much to criticize, but there are some improvement opportunities:
- the fridge is a "mini", i.e. ice cream lovers are out of luck
- the kitchen equipment consists of a tiny coffee maker, two coffee mugs and two drinking glasses - bring your own paper plates and plastic cutlery
- parking is in an open lot across the street, not covered
- incredibly, there is no safe in the room; if you're lucky, you can score a lockbox at the front desk at no charge
- internet access is somewhat sluggish
Overall a great place to stay, but given the above (admittedly minor) annoyances, I am not entirely convinced of the price/value ratio.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank krauty
Reviewed July 8, 2007

We were so pleased with our stay at this particular Marriott. We called ahead to request a low level floor. Tom couldn't promise that we'd get one...but we did! Check in was a breeze, our room was ready, clean, and nice. The valets were awesome...real sports! We received plenty of towels, shampoo, soaps, etc. The hotel is located on a nice part of the boardwalk, with close access to live music. Two negatives would be the cold pool water...as you can read in almost all other reviews, and no access to the beach from the lobby. It felt kind of strange walking in and out of fire exits to get to your room. As always, a real pleasure Marriott.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank NancyTravlMore
Reviewed July 4, 2007

We had a hard time selecting a hotel for our vacation but decided on the Courtyard Marriott because of reputation. We were very happy with our choice considering the Courtyard Marriott North has, in our opinion, the best location on the beach! When we were driving up Atlantic off the highway and saw the crowds and bars on the strip we were concerned until we realized that north beach is much quieter and more family oriented yet close enough to walk to whatever you need, even with young children. The beach was extremely clean and the views from our 11th floor queen suite were magnificent. We agree with previous reviewers that the outdoor pool is beautiful yet horribly cold and my kids couldn't swim in it and they swim anywhere! However, who needs a pool when you have the ocean right outside your hotel! Other reviewers also mentioned the elevator problems which we also encountered but we were never kept waiting for any terrible amount of time. I do think the hotel needs to consider installing a service elevator since my family and I had to share an elevator ride with a large container of smelly garbage on one awful ride. We often had to squeeze in to allow maintenance men and equipment to ride with us as well as housekeeping and other staff with their large carts. Better planning for this type of traffic would have been greatly appreciated but not a reason to avoid this hotel.

3  Thank lak0812
Reviewed June 23, 2007

I stayed two nights with my family at the Courtyard Marriott. We had a room on the 11th floor with a beautiful view of the ocean. The staff was friendly and we had a great time. I would definately recommend the hotel to anyone with a family.

2  Thank paullv
Reviewed June 23, 2007

Beautiful lobby and views from all of the rooms. However, the most impressive part of this hotel was the outdoor pool -- fantastic setting with rock formations, waterfalls and a slide -- which was UNBELIEVABLY cold and almost completely unusable! The indoor pool was
small and not that well heated either.<br>

We stayed in a corner suite so there were windows on 3 sides and great views of the outdoor pool and the beach. The room was clean but
things did seem to go missing each time it was cleaned -- bedding for
the pull-out couch, a blanket, some pillows. All promptly replaced when we reported it. The valets were all very nice and helpful and friendly to our 2 children. Access to the beach was great -- right outside the back door of the hotel with a convenient shower for beach
sand.

7  Thank brunswick4
Reviewed June 13, 2007

OUTDOOR POOL: COLD!!!
I have to admit, I read other tripadvisor reviews stating that the outdoor pool was cold, so I warned my family. Cold is an understatement. It was absolutely bone chilling. I can't believe an outdoor oasis (probably the prettiest outdoor pool setting on the beach) does not have a heated pool! :-(

POOLSIDE FOOD AND BAR:
Chicken fingers and french fries were fine.
Bartender did not really know how to make a pina colada or margerita. Bar uses Aristocrat liquor, probably the lowest priced of the low prices liquors. The young French bartender was rude. :-(

LOBBY:
Beautiful, well aportioned nicely decorated with fireplace, open seating area, breakfast area (not complimentary). They do provide complimentary coffee which was not bad!

CHECK-IN:
We were a few hours early for checkin. When we arrived they did not have the room ready. Reception said they would call me on my cell phone when it was ready. A few hours passed and we spent time on boardwalk. Rented a "4 person bicycle" (I do not advise doing this, it was way too hard to peddle). Hours passed by, so I decided to go back in and ask them if it was ready. At this point our room had been ready, but they failed to call my cell phone as they had promised. :-(

RATE:
We payed full rack rate for memorial day weekend. I expected this, and we had a great time and got our money's worth. I do find it unfortunate that they would not honor my AAA discount. :-(

ROOM:
Had no problems with our standard room. 2 queen beds were fine, air conditioning functioned properly, view was breathtaking. Woke up each morning to dozens of dolphins outside in the ocean. Room and bathroom were sufficiently clean.

HOTEL LOCATION:
For what *we* wanted, this location was absolutely perfect. The northern end of the beach offers a little more peace and quiet than the southern end. At the southern end, there seemed to be more riff-raff. We used the trolley service to get to multiple breakfast & dinner locations, as well as just sightseeing. Rode down to Rudee Inlet and back. Highly recommend using the trolley for transportation.

BREAKFAST:
Pocohantas Breakfast: Wife had French Toast which looked acceptable. I had the worst biscuits and gravy ever. Also, was originally overcharged until they fixed it. Be sure to check your bill closely.

DINNER:
Tautogs Restaurant: [--]
FANTASTIC DINNER on the front porch at this little dive. Its an old beach house turned into restaurant. The menu was excellent, my crabcake was stunning. Wife had "flounder in a bag" that was unfortunately overdone and chewy. Fresh herb toasted bread was served piping hot and delicious. My 2 ryr old has food allergies, so they made a fantastic veggie pizza without cheese (milk allergy). Prices were incredibly reasonable. Evidentally this is a local favorite, and a favorite of tourists "in the know". A+

INDOOR POOL:
Way too small and disgustingly dirty. Hair and oil floating everywhere. Barely any warmer than the outdoor pool! Hot tub was foaming and had hair everywhere.

I've gone to Virginia Beach for 30 years. They have cleaned up the beach and it's once again a pleasant place to stay.

Stay away from the new Hilton area, as there are so many people staying there that the beach is WAY overcrowded.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at this hotel, but I will say this. I won't go back until I find out that the Courtyard Marriott has added a heater to the pool. It was brutally cold. You know its cold when our 9 year old won't use it!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family