3 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.com$125
Hotels.com$125
Priceline$125
FindHotel$125
Travelocity$125
CheapTickets$125
1,019 results
All reviews outdoor pool the north end front desk courtyard by marriott breakfast buffet living area the entire hotel ocean view off season one bedroom suite mini fridge the entire staff lobby balcony housekeeping vb sand
Selected filters
Reviewed June 24, 2007

Beautiful lobby and views from all of the rooms. However, the most impressive part of this hotel was the outdoor pool -- fantastic setting with rock formations, waterfalls and a slide -- which was UNBELIEVABLY cold and almost completely unusable! The indoor pool was
small and not that well heated either.<br>

We stayed in a corner suite so there were windows on 3 sides and great views of the outdoor pool and the beach. The room was clean but
things did seem to go missing each time it was cleaned -- bedding for
the pull-out couch, a blanket, some pillows. All promptly replaced when we reported it. The valets were all very nice and helpful and friendly to our 2 children. Access to the beach was great -- right outside the back door of the hotel with a convenient shower for beach
sand.

Date of stay: June 2007
7  Thank brunswick4
Reviewed June 14, 2007

OUTDOOR POOL: COLD!!!
I have to admit, I read other tripadvisor reviews stating that the outdoor pool was cold, so I warned my family. Cold is an understatement. It was absolutely bone chilling. I can't believe an outdoor oasis (probably the prettiest outdoor pool setting on the beach) does not have a heated pool! :-(

POOLSIDE FOOD AND BAR:
Chicken fingers and french fries were fine.
Bartender did not really know how to make a pina colada or margerita. Bar uses Aristocrat liquor, probably the lowest priced of the low prices liquors. The young French bartender was rude. :-(

LOBBY:
Beautiful, well aportioned nicely decorated with fireplace, open seating area, breakfast area (not complimentary). They do provide complimentary coffee which was not bad!

CHECK-IN:
We were a few hours early for checkin. When we arrived they did not have the room ready. Reception said they would call me on my cell phone when it was ready. A few hours passed and we spent time on boardwalk. Rented a "4 person bicycle" (I do not advise doing this, it was way too hard to peddle). Hours passed by, so I decided to go back in and ask them if it was ready. At this point our room had been ready, but they failed to call my cell phone as they had promised. :-(

RATE:
We payed full rack rate for memorial day weekend. I expected this, and we had a great time and got our money's worth. I do find it unfortunate that they would not honor my AAA discount. :-(

ROOM:
Had no problems with our standard room. 2 queen beds were fine, air conditioning functioned properly, view was breathtaking. Woke up each morning to dozens of dolphins outside in the ocean. Room and bathroom were sufficiently clean.

HOTEL LOCATION:
For what *we* wanted, this location was absolutely perfect. The northern end of the beach offers a little more peace and quiet than the southern end. At the southern end, there seemed to be more riff-raff. We used the trolley service to get to multiple breakfast & dinner locations, as well as just sightseeing. Rode down to Rudee Inlet and back. Highly recommend using the trolley for transportation.

BREAKFAST:
Pocohantas Breakfast: Wife had French Toast which looked acceptable. I had the worst biscuits and gravy ever. Also, was originally overcharged until they fixed it. Be sure to check your bill closely.

DINNER:
Tautogs Restaurant: [--]
FANTASTIC DINNER on the front porch at this little dive. Its an old beach house turned into restaurant. The menu was excellent, my crabcake was stunning. Wife had "flounder in a bag" that was unfortunately overdone and chewy. Fresh herb toasted bread was served piping hot and delicious. My 2 ryr old has food allergies, so they made a fantastic veggie pizza without cheese (milk allergy). Prices were incredibly reasonable. Evidentally this is a local favorite, and a favorite of tourists "in the know". A+

INDOOR POOL:
Way too small and disgustingly dirty. Hair and oil floating everywhere. Barely any warmer than the outdoor pool! Hot tub was foaming and had hair everywhere.

I've gone to Virginia Beach for 30 years. They have cleaned up the beach and it's once again a pleasant place to stay.

Stay away from the new Hilton area, as there are so many people staying there that the beach is WAY overcrowded.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at this hotel, but I will say this. I won't go back until I find out that the Courtyard Marriott has added a heater to the pool. It was brutally cold. You know its cold when our 9 year old won't use it!

Date of stay: May 2007
7  Thank newred
Reviewed June 10, 2007

We stayed 4 nights with a 1 and 4 year old in a queen suite on the 8th floor. The view was spectacular and the hotel was located on the "nicer", quieter end of the boardwalk. I thought the area got a little rowdy south of 25th street and a little nicer at 30th and points north. The beach was great and my kids enjoyed the indoor pool. The outdoor pool was too cold to even dip your toes in. The breakfast buffet was worth the price and was a convenient way to begin the day. The elevator wait was nothing I would complain about. The staff was extremely nice, knowledgeable, and accomodating and the hotel had a little market with toilettries, drinks, and ice cream which was nice.

I agree the trolly system is overrated because many times we had to wait for trolly layovers and would just walk instead. Our family had no trouble walking to 30th street where there was nightly entertainment. We did walk to 17th one day and that became a hike. The next day we rented a family bike for a couple of hours and rode down the boardwalk instead. Our kids enjoyed the Navy jets that flew over the hotel throughout the day and night. I could see the noise becoming annoying for the locals but it added entertainment to our trip and I didn't notice them when the windows were closed. I also recommend a day at Ocean Breeze Waterpark. It had something for children of all ages. The Aquarium was disappointing. (the trolly will take you to both if you do not have a car). For dinner, we liked Doughboys Pizza. Good food and great service!

Overall, I would definitely come back to this hotel. I loved the layout of the hotel with all oceanfront rooms where you can sit out on the balcony with a cup of coffee and watch the dolphins before your kids wake up. It was a great time for the whole family!

Date of stay: June 2007
6  Thank EJMK
Reviewed June 3, 2007

This is a very nice hotel. It was very clean, and quite impressive looking. The photos on Marriott's website are quite representative of the hotel rooms.

I stayed at this hotel 5 nights in a king "spa" room with bedroom jacuzzi. Upon arrival, the room was spotlessly clean and quite well stocked with towels and toiletries. The jacuzzi was quite large (heart-shaped) and is situated such that two persons can easily fit and watch TV from the tub.

All hotel rooms have oceanfront balconies and the views are breathtaking, especially from higher floors (we were on the 8th floor). If you've read the other reviews, there are quite a few complaints about elevators. During the week, we had very few problems with long waits for the elevators, but on Saturday and Sunday, the problem became apparent. That being said, it's still worth it to get a room on a higher floor just for the view.

We encountered a couple of problems with the room. The closet door fell off the track, making it difficult to open, and the bathroom light burned out. Both problems were fixed promptly and discretely. I was impressed.

One day we had a housekeeper that did not do a thorough job. The jacuzzi was not cleaned and toiletries (soaps, etc.) were not replaced. The rest of the days the room was returned to the spotless condition that we found it in.

The outdoor pool is very nice, although (at least while we were there) there is a very shady "lifeguard" watching the pool, and the pool water is entirely too cold. It's a very interesting design, though, and I'm sure the water is warm enough in the middle of summer.

The weakest point (ironically, since it's on the oceanfront) is the location. It's at the very north end of the boardwalk, so unless you're willing to walk the entire boardwalk or wait for trolleys (the trolley system is overrated), it can be a pain to go shopping.

There are quite a few restaurants nearby that I would recommend. Icehouse Restaurant is great, as is the Purple Cow Diner. Pocohontas Pancake house is a couple blocks away from the hotel and makes a great breakfast. North End PIzza is also not too far and has good pizza. I'd avoid "Pi"zzeria Pizza. It has the aroma of vanilla ice cream that I did not enjoy. West on 264, there is a California Pizza Kitchen and a Cheesecake Factory that are worth visiting.

To get back on topic, this hotel was quite possibly the best hotel I've ever stayed at. It's definitely a good deal, and if you make a reservation, you can rest assured that this hotel will meet your expectations.

Date of stay: May 2007
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank amcdonal86
Reviewed April 21, 2007

First time in VA Beach and was very happy with the hotel and my room accomodations (Double Queen Suite full Ocean Front). The atrium of the hotel is beautiful and check-in was a breeze. The room was very spacious and clean. No problems whatsoever. Courtyards are definitely 3 or 3.5 stars so don't eexpect anything exceptional but you will definitely be satisfied. I would definitely go back and I am EXTREMELY selective when it comes to hotel accomodations.

I am a member of Marriott Rewards (platinum member) and on Tuesdays and Fridays you receive complimentary beer and wine coupons at the bar between 5 and 7 to be used on these two days only. If they forget to give them to you when you check-in, make sure you ask for them. Definitely a nice extra touch for Rewards Members!

Stayed in VA Beach in April from Friday to Tuesday and I strongly recommend it. During the off season is the best time to go because it is not crowded and you get the same effect.

Free internet access (two pc's), free printing (two printers) which is a definite plus as well as free coffee and hot cocoa. Also, the room has a microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker!

Had dinner at Kincaids in downtown Norfolk, very nice for steak and seafood but expensive. Live entertainment from 8 to 10 nightly. Great drinks! Also went to the infamous Mahi Mahs at the Ramada which serves up cocktails, sushi, seafood and eeverything else all night long. Be mindful that they don't take reservations in the summer so the wait is EXTREMELY long and it gets very crowded. If you go on the weekend, go early to avoid the crowds. It is definitely worth the experience. Catch 31 is another restaurant that I dined at and the food was pretty good, the view and atmosphere were very nice and it is worth the visit.

If you go, definitely rent a bike and ride around. Can't beat it! There is plenty to do in the area so you will keep occupied without question. Much to do, much to see! Enjoy!

Date of stay: April 2007