“great location but still resolving problem”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street
Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Great oceanfront location, at north end of 'board'walk, beautiful views, close to lots of dining options. Small indoor pool was chilly but hot tub was awesome! FYI- Even in late Sept. elevators very slow & busy, stairs do not connect to lobby but lead directly out to parking lot. ** Still resolving problem from overzealous housekeeping staff. The card in the room states that only towels on the floor will be replaced. Unfortunately our maid service took all the towels, hanging on closet door, left on chair back, including the one with my swim suit wrapped in it to dry. I reported it missing as soon as I noticed & the desk tried to catch the housekeeping manager but got no answer. All the laundry is sent out to a central service location and even after speaking to 4 people over 3 days the suit was never found. On check out I was given a claim form & told, once processed, they will pay for a replacement. Since swim suit shopping is never fun I was hoping my fairly new suit would turn up. Haven't been able to find the same one, even online. It's been 10 days so now I'm waiting for the ok to look for a new suit.

Room Tip: Anything oceanfront. See note re; elevator/stairs when considering what floor to request.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cindy P, Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

As per our conversation I apologize again for any miscommunication with regards to your swimsuit and am glad we were able to resolve that issue for you. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have been a loyal customer of this hotel for nearly 10 years- making 2-3 visits per year. I made my LAST visit in August thanks to a RUDE manager by the name of Chris and the fact that this hotel is becoming a 'dump'. Speaking of dump, I decided to bring to Chris' attention that there was defecation, yes defecation, all over the floor, toilet, walls, etc. of the women's pool bathroom. Chris' response was "OK". No apology, no "oh no", just... OK. So when I told him it was NOT ok, he kicked into angry manager mode and forgot I was the one paying $200 a night at the hotel, not him. What's even more pathetic is that he decided to act this way in front of his employee- sure, that's setting a great example for how to treat customers.

I tend to ignore things that are outside of someone's control, such as having to step over the used condoms at the beach entrance of the hotel that morning (with my child in tow by the way). However, checking and cleaning hotel bathrooms on a regular basis IS within the hotel's control and responding with empathy when a customer expresses concern over the horrific condition of the bathroom IS within the hotel's control.

Looking back on the experience, I should have just called the Virginia Beach Health Department. I think Courtyard should think about who they hire into management positions.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Penthouse21

I apologize that you had such an experience here at the Courtyard. I can assure you that all of our restrooms are cleaned on a regular schedule with even more frequency in our busy season. We obviously have an opportunity area here in which we need to excel. I have addressed all of your concerns with our staff here and I appreciate your constructive feedback. I cannot offer you any excuse for the bathroom being in such a state only a reassurance that the issue has been addressed and will not happen again.I hope this will not be your last visit to us since as you stated you've been enjoying our hotel several times every year for a decade now.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend. It was great! The rooms were clean. Maids cleaned the rooms early in the day, which is wonderful! View is absolutely amazing. It was a little difficult when there was a wedding, since the guests took up all the available parking spots. Hotel staff were helpful to park our car for us. It was strange when the outdoor pool had a "pool closed" sign out. People were still swimming in the pool though. When I asked the front desk about it, they simply said that it is because they do not have a lifeguard, so it is swim at your own risk. Not sure why they couldn't just say that on the sign... The only disappointment I had with the visit was when we decided to stop for a drink on our last night. My fiancee asked for a screwdriver and the "bartender" told us he wasn't really a bartender and had no idea what that was. They also didn't have many choices for alcohol. Oh well...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I'm glad you had a great stay and enjoyed our amenities and our housekeeping staff! Hope to see you again next year!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is a nice hotel, I've stayed here before and I always enjoy it. The hotel is always clean, staff is very friendly and the Bistro in the lobby is a plus. This is one of my favorite hotels in VA Beach. Great place to stay.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michaelraymoss

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. Our staff truly appreciates your warm comments. We appreciate your loyalty and are excited to see you next time!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We had an ocean front view with a balcony, a nice comfortable bed, plenty of room and the room was nicely appointed. They had a helpful friendly staff, a nice lounge with room for socializing, a workout room and a nice pool. Great value for the money spent.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paul F
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel. I am glad that were able to enjoy our oceanfront balcony rooms and our comfortable beds. I hope you are able to stay with us again soon!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This clean and spacious hotel is on the famed boardwalk and steps away from the sand! This hotel has every ammenity you need in a resort, from pools, tiki bar and lounge area. The one bedroom suite was plenty of room for all five of us in our group - with a great ocean view balcony to watch the dolphins throughout the day.
We were in town on the last busy weekend of the summer and this hotel was full - but it sure didn't seem like it! Plenty of space for everyone. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Our only complaint was that the outdoor pool was freezing cold- on a 85* day. The ocean was at least 10* warmer! Am not sure if heat was an option for management, but the lifeguard on staff said it had been cold for several weeks. Would have spent more money at the bar had the pool been heated and we could have swam ther during the afternoon.
This is a hotel we will return to! Perfect for a family trip, a romantic weekend for two or a girls weekend! It doesn't look like much on the outside, but the staff and rooms make up for the bland exterior.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an end, as the ice machine and elevator Are located in the middle and can be a lit...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank jayhawkinva
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel! I am glad you enjoyed our location and our friendly staff. Thanks again for you feedback and I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Virginia Beach was to be a start for our annual vacation. Since we've stayed here before and enjoyed our stay we thought to give it a longer stay this time. We checked in on Wednesday and at first impressions I immediately noticed that they still had not added any additional handicapped parking spaces (yes they do have them across the street but not clearly designated so anyone felt that they could park in them, but they still are across the street ! ) We had a long drive so we thought we order in and turn in early. Usually, we have become accustomed to having a phone book so that we could see what was available for dining but they appear to have only one and that was at the front desk. You would also find some type of welcoming material to Virgina Beach, but no luck here either. Come shower time and at best we had luke warm water with incredibly low low water pressure. Ok, no real big deal we'd will survive. Come Thursday, 92 steaming degrees and now we find out their lovely outdoor pool is closed ( one of our main reasons to book this Courtyard, since my wife likes the beach and I a pool) since it was after Labor Day, NO EXCEPTION even if it reached 100 degrees ? When we questioned manager Chris regarding this he stated that it would be open on the weekend, (not that it would help us since we would be checking out on Saturday) . Being a dedicated Marriott Fan nowhere had I found that these conditions were stated in their hotel critique, which Chris acknowledge that it didn't exist in the description. We asked for an adjustment in our rate for the rest of our stay which he would NOT extend that courtesy except for the previous evening. He did however, was willing to have us leave a Marriott hotel to go to a hotel locally that a pool was available ? We are still trying to figure that one out. Needless to say we did check out and will not return in the future.

Room Tip: Find another hotel that provide all the amenities that they state will be provided !
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
CourtyardNorth, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback on our property. I am deeply sorry you were not able to enjoy the outdoor pool which is open Memorial Day until Labor Day, yearly. Guest safety is always a priority here at the hotel and a lifeguard is required for a pool as large as the one that we have here on property. I truly wish we would have been able to accommodate your request for an outdoor pool during your stay. Fortunately, I was able to find a suitable alternative, per your request. It is my hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future and would like to invite you back during our summer months so that you can fully enjoy our outdoor pool. Again, thank you for your valued feedback.