“Nice, really nice...”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Rochester, New York
“Nice, really nice...”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The staff members are customer service champions! I don't think a front desk rep has ever greeted me warmly at a different hotel in the morning saying "Good morning, sir, did you sleep well last night? That's wonderful, if there's anything you need, please don't be shy and let us know". I can tell they are thoroughly trained to make their customer's stay a pleasantly memorable one, even the housekeeping staff greets you with a smile EVERY time they see you. They also asked me if I had a floor preferance when checking in. A lot of other front desk people would just simply assign me a room anywhere instead of ask me if I wanted to be near the top or bottom. My room was VERY clean, hot tub was inviting and jets worked well, atmosphere inside and out was peaceful, and the view of the ocean was magnificient, A few minor issues like the sliding glass door to the balcony moved hard and was dirty on the outside (I cleaned it so I could see the beach well through the window), the A/C was a bit noisy, small stain on the carpet, and refrigerator froze my strawberries, but it didn't curse my vacation. I'm also not sure why this hotel doesn't provide a microwave to the standard rooms and whirlpool rooms. Some might claim that the location isn't great, but it's a blessing to those who want peace and rest at an oceanfront hotel, away from the epicenter of the "party" area.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 9th floor, which might have been a little too high. The 5th or 6th floor would probab...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank bigcahuna316
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and share your experience. I am very excited to hear that you saw that we are "Customer Service Champions." We work hard to make every guest experience unique. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our very clean rooms and the north-end of the beach atmosphere. I hope you are able to stay with us again soon! Have a great rest of the year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Lynchburg, VA
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My mother and I, (Terri Martin) planned a last minute getaway weekend in April and stayed here. We enjoyed our stay, the view was great from the 11th floor :) When we checked in, the staff was great and even gave us cookies! I work at a resort myself at Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia...and the Courtyard by Marriott North met my expectations.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Marie S
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and reviewing our hotel. I am so glad that you had a great getaway weekend. It's always great to hear from fellow hospitality associates. It's exciting to hear that you enjoyed our views and the cookies at check in. I hope you are able to visit us again soon and have a great rest of your summer!
Barboursville, Virginia, United States
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Hotel was booked due to some cheerleader competition in town. Front desk staff were friendly and gave us our keys quickly. Upon entering the room we found a huge stain on the carpet. other than that the room was clean. The carpet was an ugly brown and tan stripe. No mirror except over the sink, NO SAFE in the room. Towels were cheep, they were alternating stripes of terry cloth no terry cloth so it was actually only half a towel. It did have a great view of the ocean. Sadly the weather was horrible, 20 mph winds all weekend only in the 50's for a high, and the ocean looked like foamy mud. Not their fault. The beds were hard as rocks, the balcony was fine, 2 plastic chairs and table. No one used it though because of the wind and cold. Would not stay again for the price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad the front desk team was able to assist you quickly and provide friendly service. I am deeply dissapointed your stay was anything less than exceptional. I have spoken with the housekeeping team regarding your concerns with the carpet and the towels. I want to apologize that we didn't exceed your expectations. I hope on your next trip to Virginia Beach you will give us a second chance. Have a great rest of your summer!
Tamworth, New Hampshire
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I just ran a business meeting at this hotel and was extremely pleased. The hotel is right on the beach, with only the boardwalk between it and the sand. Every room has a lanai with sliding doors that open on to the ocean, providing a beautiful ocean breeze and a spectacular view of the sunrise over the ocean. The meeting room also opens onto the beach, allowing for break-outs outside, if you so desire. The staff is friendly and helpful, the hotel is very clean and comfortable, and the entire experience is very positive. The location is great; quiet and away from the hustle and bustle of the busy section of Virginia Beach, but within easy walking distance of great restaurants and night life. I will definitely come back to this hotel for business meetings, but hope to also return for pleasure and holiday!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review about our hotel. That is so exciting that you were able to take advantage of our great meeting space and beach location! If you are able to come back in the mid summer season, you will be able to enjoy our outdoor pool, pool bar, and even more great restaurants will be open! Again, thank you for staying with us and sharing your great experience. Have a wonderful rest of the year!
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our Wedding Anniversary weekend. We had a King suite and it was really nice and clean. We stayed on the 6th flor realy nice view of the ocean, the sunrise and sunset was nice. The staff was friendily and very helpful with giving directions around the area. This hotel is about 5 mins from the main strip driving and 10 if you're walking, the location is nice if you're looking for a nice quiet area. i really enjoyed my stay!

Room Tip: We were in the middle part it was nice, the balconies are close.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ACT08
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your weekend getaway! It's great to hear that you had a relaxing view of the sunset and sunrise on our oceanfront balcony. I hope you are able to stay with us again this summer! Thanks again for your pleasant review.
New York
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This Courtyard is located right on the beach, but not quite in the middle of the action (not necessarily a bad thing, but I did have to drive to restaurants, etc.). Rooms are nice and well appointed. My sink had some drainage issues, but not a show stopper. The balconies are right next to each other so no privacy, but you do overlook the ocean. Two areas for improvement: the Starbucks on site is horribly slow and unorganized. I waited over 20 minutes for a coffee because there was only one worker there. Not good. Even though it was Spring break I was there for business and didn't have time to wait that long. The other area for improvement is communication: we had a blackout one evening during my stay. Nobody knew what to do and it caused a lot of people to panic. There has to be some business continuity plan in place that the employees should know about. Overall, not bad but would pick the other Courtyard next time.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank woozel
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I want to thank you for your kind comments about our rooms and our quiet location on the beach. I apologize that the Starbucks was not up to your standard. The lack of communication has been addressed and in the event of another black out, there will be excellent organization. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention and letting us know how your stay was. I hope you have a great rest of your year!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 8, 2013

FABULOUS HOTEL if you are running during the Shamrock Marathon weekend. We ran the 1/2 marathon, and the starting line was literally across the street, and the finish line was just a few block south. The race actually turns onto the boardwalk right at the hotel. Extremely convenient. We had an ocean view suite and were able to see out all sides of the building (the room stretched the width of the building). At the last minute we had 2 friends decide to stay with us, plenty of room! And parking was super easy. The hotel was clean & the staff could not have been friendlier. The race itself was fabulous but the ease of the accommodations made it perfect. Would return in a heartbeat. (the pool & hot tub was amazing post race).

Room Tip: We had the suite on the top floor in the corner towards the south. FABULOUS!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing our hotel after the busy Shamrock Marathon Weekend! Your kind comments about our staff and the hotel cleanliness are very much appreciated. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our Corner Suite and the amazing views. Hopefully you will be able to join us next year for the exciting weekend! Thank you again for your feedback.