“Great location, great staff” 4 of 5 stars

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street
Ranked #27 of 111 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
St. John's, Canada
“Great location, great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I would definitely stay here again. The rooms were spacious, the views spectacular and the service at the front desk was second-to-none. Upon checking in, they hand out delicious, home-made chocolate chip cookies - a nice touch! The staff have excellent restaurant recommendations and the small bistro downstairs is perfect for breakfast.

My only complaint is that the gym is missing some free weights. It looks like someone stole the 5 lb, 8 lb, 10 lb and 12 lb weights and they haven't been replaced.

I was also a bit sad that the outdoor pool was closed, but it was mid-October, so I can't really complain about that.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I couldn't be happier that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our cookies are baked fresh daily in our bistro! I appologize that some of our weights have gone missing from the gym. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will speak with our managers to get more weights. Hopefully next time you visit it will be in the summer when you can use our fun outdoor pool. Thanks again for your feedback and have a great rest of the year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This was a very nice hotel to stay in for a few days while there on business. The staff was efficient and friendly which is a must for me. The breakfasts were plentiful and they had free coffee in the lobby. With a fridge in the room I was able to save my restaurant cold food leftovers! Right on the beach and with a patio, watching the sun come up every morning was a great start to a busy day. I was able to take advantage of lovely beach promenade walks and had dinner in a couple of the restaurants along the way. The room was comfortable except the pillows were way too soft so sleeping was an issue. I mentioned this to the front desk and they told me there were selections. I didn't see that. This hotel is a little way down the beach which I liked as it got me away from the bustle and noise further down. I would stay there again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review our hotel. I am excited to hear that you enjoyed the variety of options our bistro has to offer. We provide free coffee and tea in our lobby to stimulate a relaxing atmosphere. Every room in our hotel has an oceanfront view and a mini fridge in the room. I am glad you were able to stay with us and I hope you get the chance to stay again soon!
Philippi, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was a trip to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. The pool is first rate. The staff friendly. Room was great. On the quieter North end of the Boardwalk. Room was spacious and very comfortable. The only problem, we didn't find the refrigerator until we were leaving. We only had a two night stay and spent most of the time on the beach and exploring the area since it was our first time to this vacation spot. We fell in love with the boardwalk and the ocean area in general.

Room Tip: All rooms here are ocean front. It will depend on King, Queen, Double, Suite, etc. to help you decid...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for staying at our hotel and taking the time to give us your feedback. Happy Anniversary! I am so glad to hear that you had a great time during your stay. Thank you for choosing our property to spend such a special occasion. I hope you will spend your next anniversary with us as well. Have a wonderful rest of your year!
Ridgeway, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The location was excellent! It was a little out of the middle of things,yet you were able to get in and out of the hotel without traffic problems. I took my bike and hit the boardwalk just about everywhere I went. The beach was not as crowded as down the strip, but was still well maintained. The outdoor pool was closed for swimming, but still kept clean and towels were available for lounging. The staff was friendly and would always ask if I needed anything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. I am very excited to hear you had a great time and enjoyed all that we have to offer at our hotel. I hope you have a great rest of the year and are able to come back again soon!
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

I had a roomy suite with a relaxing ocean view during the last week of September. Front desk staffer Monique was especially helpful at my check-in and Alexis was very friendly a few days later. I didn't have any personal interaction with the housekeeping staff but they kept my room well supplied with towels and coffee, both important to me :-). When I return to Virginia Beach I will be happy to stay here again

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm very happy that you had a great time on your vacation and enjoyed staying at our property. I will let Menique and Alexis know your feedback as they will be very excited about your comments. I look forward to having you stay with us in the future. Have a great rest of the year!
Morrow, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

This courtyard is much nice than the other one down the street. It is also alot quieter. Location is great. The pool is one of the best on the strip. Not many restaurants right close but there are within a few blocks. Room was over all pretty clean but the carpet was pretty

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay! The location is just far enough from the crowds and every one of our rooms has a beautiful view of the Atlantic Ocean. That's great you were able to take advantage of our exciting pools. They are a great place to relax and have fun. I hope you are able to stay with us again. Have a great rest of the year!
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hotel is in a great spot on the boardwalk. All of the rooms face the beach. My room also had a small balconey, ideal for watching the impressive sunrise each morning. There was also a mini refrigerator - but there was no microwave.

I stayed for one night in mid-Sept, and the weather was glorious - mid 70s and low humidity - perfect conditions for enjoying the beach. Even more enjoyable was the lack of tourists. The pool wasn't too crowded, and the boardwalk wasn't congested with wall-to-wall people.

When I was there, it was extremely windy on the beach - but the hotel's outdoor pool is protected by the building, saving you from the strong winds for the most part.

The fitness center includes a LifeFitness elliptical, free weights and treadmills with TVs. Several of the free weights were missing, causing me to lift either too little or way too much weight during my short routine.

My biggest complaint would be the paper-thin walls... I could hear my neighbors next door and was kept awake with doors slamming until well after midnight. (I'm assuming that people had their patio doors open and the airflow was causing them to slam violently.) The noise kept jolting me awake.

Also - the cafe in the lobby is OK, but pricey. I ordered a vanilla latte and received the most bitter concoction I've ever tasted. They may "proudly brew Starbucks" but they are no barristas, that's for sure!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Josh B, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and its amenities. I am glad that you were able to enjoy a relaxing time at our outdoor pool, and am delighted you were able to enjoy everything that Virginia Beach Oceanfront has to offer. I apologize for the noise during your stay and the inconveniences it caused. Because of your review of our fitness room, our management team is actively working to improve quality of the fitness space and equipment. We are also working with our Bistro team to improve and exceed guest expectations. Contact me directly if you have any more questions or concerns regarding your stay.