“Would definitely stay here again...Stayed here May 2011”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street
Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philippi, West Virginia, United States
“Would definitely stay here again...Stayed here May 2011”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was a trip to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. The pool is first rate. The staff friendly. Room was great. On the quieter North end of the Boardwalk. Room was spacious and very comfortable. The only problem, we didn't find the refrigerator until we were leaving. We only had a two night stay and spent most of the time on the beach and exploring the area since it was our first time to this vacation spot. We fell in love with the boardwalk and the ocean area in general.

Room Tip: All rooms here are ocean front. It will depend on King, Queen, Double, Suite, etc. to help you decid...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for staying at our hotel and taking the time to give us your feedback. Happy Anniversary! I am so glad to hear that you had a great time during your stay. Thank you for choosing our property to spend such a special occasion. I hope you will spend your next anniversary with us as well. Have a wonderful rest of your year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Ridgeway, Virginia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The location was excellent! It was a little out of the middle of things,yet you were able to get in and out of the hotel without traffic problems. I took my bike and hit the boardwalk just about everywhere I went. The beach was not as crowded as down the strip, but was still well maintained. The outdoor pool was closed for swimming, but still kept clean and towels were available for lounging. The staff was friendly and would always ask if I needed anything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. I am very excited to hear you had a great time and enjoyed all that we have to offer at our hotel. I hope you have a great rest of the year and are able to come back again soon!
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

I had a roomy suite with a relaxing ocean view during the last week of September. Front desk staffer Monique was especially helpful at my check-in and Alexis was very friendly a few days later. I didn't have any personal interaction with the housekeeping staff but they kept my room well supplied with towels and coffee, both important to me :-). When I return to Virginia Beach I will be happy to stay here again

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm very happy that you had a great time on your vacation and enjoyed staying at our property. I will let Menique and Alexis know your feedback as they will be very excited about your comments. I look forward to having you stay with us in the future. Have a great rest of the year!
Morrow, Ohio
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This courtyard is much nice than the other one down the street. It is also alot quieter. Location is great. The pool is one of the best on the strip. Not many restaurants right close but there are within a few blocks. Room was over all pretty clean but the carpet was pretty

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay! The location is just far enough from the crowds and every one of our rooms has a beautiful view of the Atlantic Ocean. That's great you were able to take advantage of our exciting pools. They are a great place to relax and have fun. I hope you are able to stay with us again. Have a great rest of the year!
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hotel is in a great spot on the boardwalk. All of the rooms face the beach. My room also had a small balconey, ideal for watching the impressive sunrise each morning. There was also a mini refrigerator - but there was no microwave.

I stayed for one night in mid-Sept, and the weather was glorious - mid 70s and low humidity - perfect conditions for enjoying the beach. Even more enjoyable was the lack of tourists. The pool wasn't too crowded, and the boardwalk wasn't congested with wall-to-wall people.

When I was there, it was extremely windy on the beach - but the hotel's outdoor pool is protected by the building, saving you from the strong winds for the most part.

The fitness center includes a LifeFitness elliptical, free weights and treadmills with TVs. Several of the free weights were missing, causing me to lift either too little or way too much weight during my short routine.

My biggest complaint would be the paper-thin walls... I could hear my neighbors next door and was kept awake with doors slamming until well after midnight. (I'm assuming that people had their patio doors open and the airflow was causing them to slam violently.) The noise kept jolting me awake.

Also - the cafe in the lobby is OK, but pricey. I ordered a vanilla latte and received the most bitter concoction I've ever tasted. They may "proudly brew Starbucks" but they are no barristas, that's for sure!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Josh B, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and its amenities. I am glad that you were able to enjoy a relaxing time at our outdoor pool, and am delighted you were able to enjoy everything that Virginia Beach Oceanfront has to offer. I apologize for the noise during your stay and the inconveniences it caused. Because of your review of our fitness room, our management team is actively working to improve quality of the fitness space and equipment. We are also working with our Bistro team to improve and exceed guest expectations. Contact me directly if you have any more questions or concerns regarding your stay.
Richmond, VA
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was expecting a better impression but was disappointed. My husband and I just visited for the weekend for the air show. Our room was a one bedroom suite. The lobby is nice but I noticed a very limited menu for breakfast. We tried to walk down the street for a better option but the only close option was Pocahantas Pancake which was absolutely packed so we turned around and went back to the hotel. The food was just ok and the girl working there was slammed so the service wasn't great either. I guess my biggest disappointment was the room itself. It was old and run down looking and the bed was hard as a rock with what felt like plastic sheets. My bed at home is pretty hard but this was just ridiculous. They didn't even put a comforter of any sort on the bed. It was just a sheet and a glorified sheet on top. Thankfully I found an old blanket in one of the drawers. The staff was very friendly at the front desk, the pool area is really nice with an outside pool bar. The coffee station was really nice in the lobby but my coffee station in my room was only stocked with decaf so I had to stock up on the downstairs coffee and bring it up myself. Their are coolers near the front desk stocked full of food options, drinks and ice cream which was really convenient. I would not stay here again based on the bed alone. Two days later and I am still sore from sleeping in that bed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Candice22
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our pool and pool bar. I am also glad you enjoyed our complimentary coffee and tea station in the lobby that is available daily from 5am to 11pm. Your concerns with the sheets and the blankets have been brought to the attention of our housekeeping team. I want to apologize that you experienced an uncomfortable bed during your stay. We offer mattress pads to guests that prefer a softer bed to sleep on. On your next visit to Virginia Beach, I hope you will stay with us again and we can provide you with a mattress pad to make sure the beds are comfortable for you.

Again, thank you for giving us your feedback to improve our service and guest experiences. Please feel free to contact me directly with any further questions or concerns.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We have stayed here in the past, but we were a little disappointed with our most recent stay.
The pros: the staff was unfailingly friendly, great pool, great location, and many towels in the room.
The cons: our bathroom sink was clogged and would fill up if we ran the water any faster than a trickle - ick, the bottom sheet on the bed didn't fit well and would come off the bed at the corners during the night- also ick, and the air conditioning unit in the bedroom was clunky and noisy. The living room sofa definitely needed a facelift.
It all just added up to a stay that left us questioning our choice of hotels. Would we return? Yes, probably - I'd like give this Marriott another chance. Maybe this room was just an anomaly; but considering the money spent I'd be mighty upset to be so dissappointed again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hastobe
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to review our hotel. I appologize that the room you were in wasn't up to the standards. I assure you this isn't a common occurance at our property. The issues with the sink and the air conditioner have been brought to our engineering team's attention. Thank you again, as your feedback helps us improve on a daily basis. The next time you are visiting Virginia Beach, I hope you will give us another chance. Please feel free to contact me directly with any further questions or concerns.