“A little disappointed.......”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street
Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We have stayed here in the past, but we were a little disappointed with our most recent stay.
The pros: the staff was unfailingly friendly, great pool, great location, and many towels in the room.
The cons: our bathroom sink was clogged and would fill up if we ran the water any faster than a trickle - ick, the bottom sheet on the bed didn't fit well and would come off the bed at the corners during the night- also ick, and the air conditioning unit in the bedroom was clunky and noisy. The living room sofa definitely needed a facelift.
It all just added up to a stay that left us questioning our choice of hotels. Would we return? Yes, probably - I'd like give this Marriott another chance. Maybe this room was just an anomaly; but considering the money spent I'd be mighty upset to be so dissappointed again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hastobe
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to review our hotel. I appologize that the room you were in wasn't up to the standards. I assure you this isn't a common occurance at our property. The issues with the sink and the air conditioner have been brought to our engineering team's attention. Thank you again, as your feedback helps us improve on a daily basis. The next time you are visiting Virginia Beach, I hope you will give us another chance. Please feel free to contact me directly with any further questions or concerns.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street

Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in september. They accommodated a semi early check in. The king size room was spacious and had a good view of the ocean. Front desk staff were fine. The beach is steps away through the back door. Parking, while limited, is free. The lobby also looks modern and sleek w bright colors as many of the other courtyards I've been too.

The minor issues I saw were a crater in the ceiling above the shower, mold mildew, also a leak in the shower head.

The gym was very lacking. Anyone needing a decent gym to work out in should look elsewhere. It is equipped w one elliptical, two treadmills, and one adjustable bench with dumbells ranging from 5 to 50 lbs.

I would stay here again if it weren't for the gym. If I am not as into fitness next time, I would consider staying.

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am glad you were able to take advantage of an early check-in as well as our complimentary parking. I appologize for the housekeeping issues you experienced. Our housekeeping team has been notified of these issues. I will let our management team know about your suggestions regarding the gym. Your feedback is appreciated and will be used to better our property. I hope you will consider us again next time you are visiting the Virginia Beach Oceanfront.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stay here at least once a year with our Shrine Temple. We have been going here for at least 4 years and have never had a bad moment while staying here!! The total staff, from the front desk down to the cleaning staff are excellent at what they do and are SUPER friendly!! The pool is by far one of, if not the best pool in Va. Beach. The rooms are always clean and tidy and if you would experience a problem they are quick to resolve the issue. If you are planning a stay at Va. Beach their is no where else to consider except here for a stay that will become a pleasant memory!!!!

Room Tip: Their are no bad rooms it all depends whether you like a room high or low. The rooms on the upper fl...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for reviewing our hotel! I am very glad to hear that you had a great experience during your stay with us. Our team will be happy to hear your compliments. Our indoor and outdoor pool are fun for the whole family.

Thank you again for your feedback as it is greatly appreciated. I hope you are able to stay with us again soon and have a great rest of the year!

Reviewed September 13, 2012

The rooms were adequate. Balconies were hot. Of course view was exceptional, but every hotel on the boardwalk has similar view and beach access. But the staffing was the minus. No clean towels at the pool, front desk indifferent to requests and seemed put out at being asked. I will try one of the other many options for hotels on boarwalk next time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to review our hotel. I apologize your stay with us was less than satisfactory. Your concern with the staff being indifferent to your requests is unacceptable. I will personally speak with our front desk team to assure an experience like yours does not happen again. Please know this behavior does not reflect the standards of the Marriott brand. The housekeeping staff has been notified about the lack of towels at the pool. I hope you get the chance to come back to Virginia Beach and will give our property a second chance. I wish you a pleasant rest of the year!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights starting on Labor Day. We were greeted at the front desk. The employee could answer all our questions. When we arrived in the room we first noticed there was only 1 bath towel. On our way to dinner we stopped at the front desk and asked for more towels. We know the message was passed on to housekeeping as we were walking behind the employee when it came across his radio. When we returned from dinner there was still only 1 towel, so we then called the front desk and finally received the extra towels in about 10 minutes.The towels were very poor and thin and rough. There is black in the bathroom tile grout and there was mold or mildew on the outer shower curtain, but not enough to make me not want to take a shower. The balcony and view are superb. The door to the balcony needed cleaning, looked liked a childs handprints all over it. On the balcony there was a pop bottle with cigarette butts in it that should have been taken by housekeeping. The bedroom curtain did not close correctly, the closet doors continually came off the track, the light was burnt out over kitchen sink, and the kitchen sink drain ran slow. The second day Heather, the housekeeping supervisor reported these items to engineering and they were still not corrected by the time we left. Heather did a superb job of cleaning our room since we were still in it. The airplanes did not bother us, reminds you of freedom. We did not eat in the so called Bistro, very limited menu. Elevator wait time was not bad at all, but we were there in off peak season. Hotel staff was all very friendly and spoke when you met them. Would we stay here again, yes we would. We would not stay during peak season as I am not even sure it is worth the almost $200 we paid per night. Wish there were half stars, as I would rate this hotel 3 1/2 stars. The hotel could use the polish to bring it up to at least a 4 star, it is the attention to detail that makes the difference.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank you, shadowmom, for taking time to review our hotel! I appreciate your feedback immensely. I am so sorry you we did not deliver better service to you. You are completely right in writing, "..it is the attention to detail that makes the difference." I will be sharing your comments with our department managers and address each of your concerns. Thank you for your compliments of Heather; she will be excited to read her name in this review. Again, your insight is truly valued and we will continue to use comments like this to better improve our service. Please feel free to contact me directly with further questions or concerns. I hope you have a fantastic year!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Great Hotel from the moment we arrived we recieved excellent service. The Valet parking was great, check in on a Holiday weekend was nice and easy. Big spacious outdoor pool with bar / small snacks and great staff! Asked for a larger room on 3rd night, manager was great knowing we needed the extra space with 6 people! Oceanfront views and close too everything.Check out nice and easy! Would reccomend and will return!

Room Tip: 2nd Floor has extra large balcony great for families! Suites have 2 queen and livingroom has pull ou...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Megan P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our spacious outdoor pool and bar. The outdoor pool will be open on the weekends and be closing for the season on September 30th. During that time, the indoor pool with ocean-view will be open 7am to 11pm daily. I'm pleased you were able to enjoy our oceanfront suite with your family. Our staff appreciates your compliments and is happy to serve our guests. I hope you will be able to join us again soon for your next family vacation!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I'd never been to Virginia Beach before and wasn't sure what to expect. But I had some vacation time to burn and Marriott points banked and it was just within our tolerable road trip range.

The Pros
- Great staff all the way around. Everyone was friendly and helpful.
- Nice views.
- Pretty cool pool and easy beach access.
- Close enough to get to restaurants & shops, without being smack dab in the middle of it.

The Cons
- The elevators. I read a few reviews going in so I was expecting it. 2 Slowish elevators for a sizable building. We never had to wait an absurd amount of time to grab one but I also think we were there as the summer crowds were waning.
- Wouldn't Pass a White Glove Inspection. No hotel probably would. And with two young kids, I probably spend more time on the floor and fetching hot wheels from weird corners than the average guest -- but our room was clean, not immaculate. For example, went to grab a stray car from under the drapes and also found a half eaten piece of candy hanging out under there.
- Damp. Why any oceanfront property bothers to install lots of carpet is beyond me. But it's in the rooms and feels like thousands of families in wet bathing suits have come & gone before you.

Overall I was impressed with Virginia Beach, and this hotel served us well. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time from your schedule to review our hotel. I want to thank you for being a Marriott Rewards Member with us. I'm glad you were able to enjoy our pools and our great beachfront location. The cleanliness issues you encountered are not acceptable and will be addressed with our team. I'm glad you chose our property as your first experience in Virginia Beach. I hope the next time you visit the Virginia Beach area you are able to stay with us again.