“Great hotel for the price. Perfect for families.”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street
Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This hotel is a very nice find for families with young children. The hotel has been renovated recently and the rooms are comfortable and tastefully appointed, especially for a 3 star property. Our room had a sitting/dining room and a separate bedroom, which was nice for the adults so we could stay up and talk after putting the kids to bed. There were also 2 flat screen televisions, a mini-fridge, a micro-wave and three sinks. The staff were uniformly friendly and helpful, but not pushy. All of the rooms have balconies overlooking the ocean. They don't offer room service, but there is a bistro area offering inexpensive comfort food and also a nicely stocked breakfast buffet with standard fare.

The hotel is located at the north end of the beach (but still on the boardwalk), which is far less crowded than the areas further south. We found the relative lack of density a plus for our kids, who are still in the 3 - 10 year range. Most of the other people around us on that part of the beach also had young children. The teens and adults seem to gather further south down the beach (a five minute stroll on the boardwalk) near the center of the entertainment.

As with most beach hotels, they increase prices for long weekends, so book ahead for the best rates. Also, be sure to use your AAA discount if you're a member.

Overall, we rate this hotel highly. If you want a comfortable stay, great location and friendly staff at a reasonable price, you should give strong consideration to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Iris C, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2012

I appreciate your thorough review! Thanks for taking the time to evaluate our hotel! I'm glad you were able to take advantage of one of our sixty suites! These suites offer so much space and amenities which are so perfect and convenient for families. Your information is so helpful for our site visitors and I'm glad you mentioned our location and a good hint about our rates. Thank you for your comments and I hope you continue to stay with us at the North side for future visits to Virginia Beach!

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street

Reviewed May 24, 2012

I am only giving a very good rating right now, but may change this after our trip ends. We are currently in the hotel - since Monday and leave on Sunday. Check in was great. The front desk staff were very friendly, professional and nice. We were delayed one day getting here due to a flight delay in Chicago - and the hotel did not charge us for the first night. That was awesome. Kudos to them, as I am familiar with the cancellation policy. Our room - a king room is great. We were originally booked into the 2nd floor but they moved us to the 10th floor upon check in (after being stuck in an airport for an extra day). Room is nice, overlooking the beach, quiet, and has everything we really need such as a coffee pot (though its one of those frequently seen in hotels now that only make one cup at a time), a fridge (great for storing our leftovers) and toiletries. (the beds are a bit harder than I am used to but that is only as I have a really soft bed. The pillows on the other hand are super soft and nice). Air conditioning works great and is not too loud. Jet noise is loud but we expected that - and has nothing to do with the hotel and its not all that often. With the patio doors closed you barely hear it, or the crash of the surf (and they do have a note on the door to keep the doors closed). The staff in this hotel are great - front desk - James is really helpful and friendly. The other staff whose names I do not remember are also really good - from the young man who brought up extra coat hangers and coffee/creamers to the desk staff who are always smiling and saying good morning. There has only been one downside so far and I have talked with James at the front desk and he said he will have this resolved for us tomorrow. Thank you James! I will write more if this issue is not resolved, but honestly I think it will be, and it is not something that even needs to shed a black eye on the hotel especially if they deal with it. Honestly I can say that this hotel is great, staff are great and if there are any issues just bring it to the front desk and they will help resolve it. (our issue was a housekeeping one and I am sure it will be taken care of by tomorrow). One other thing - there is a little store located behind the front desk that has things like pop, juice, beer, sandwiches, candy etc - the prices are fairly decent given this is a hotel. The only price that is high would be for a beer which I believe is about $6. The candy is only $1.50 each which in my eyes is quite low for a hotel convenience store. The beach out front is great - soft sand and so clean. This entire area is super clean, no litter, not even cigarette buts on the ground (which is amazing as I have yet to see any beachfront ashtrays). The hotel is smoke free 100% but they do have an area in front of the hotel with an ashtray if needed. There is also a little cafe in the hotel lobby but we did not try it out yet. All rooms have wireless and it is fast and easy to connect to. Both the interior and exterior pool are on the smaller side (exterior is not super small it does have two parts to it and a waterfall) but looks like guests really enjoy them. We have not had a chance yet to experience either. Rooms are quite soundproof, and any guests we have encountered are so friendly. There is parking on site but its not a large lot - with that being said - directly across the street is more parking, we have never had an issue finding parking yet - either in the hotel lot or across the street. One note make sure to close the blackout curtain in your room if you dont want the sun to wake you up super early and keep your patio door closed. First night we were here, in the morning at 530am the surfers out on the ocean woke me up with their hollering of fun. No big deal - I should have kept the door closed as per the instruction on the door. And it was kind of nice to hear people having so much fun in the water.There are great places to eat close by - check out Pocohontas Pancake place - great great food. Also Pelon's Baja Grill - awesome fish tacos and yummy burritos.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank DGOV

Thank you for such a thorough review! I appreciate your feedback as there is so much information that will help our potential guests. Thank you for recognizing James; he is new to the team and he was so excited to read his name in your comments. Again, thank you for a thoughtful and well-written review. If you ever travel to the area again, I hope you think of us and feel free to contact me directly for any reservations. Have a blessed year!

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I am a frequent traveler and typically spend about 100 nights a year in Marriott properties. While I find the staff at all Marriott hotels friendly, the staff at the Marriott Courtyard Oceanfront North in Virginia Beach goes beyond the pale. They are extremely friendly, caring, helpful and make you fell most welcome and appreciated. In particular, the Assistant General Manager Tracy is extremely caring and goes out of her way to be helpful.

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront with balconies
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
CourtyardNorth, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Michael K,

Thank you for your kind words and comments about our hotel. It is extremely satisfying to make such a loyal Marriott customer, like yourself, happy. Tracy is such a great asset to the hotel and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to her. We hope to serve you again soon on your next visit to the area!

Reviewed April 29, 2012

We come here 2-3 times a year to "get away and relax" for a couple of days or so. We always find gr8 service to match gr8 ocean view. But a recent trip was truly outstanding. Mandy took care of us in wonderful style at front desk when the information we had when making reservation was a bit different then when we arrived. Mandy was able to help correct and even improve the situation for us! Then one of us (moi) left his wallet at the table at the hotel's Bistro restaurant. Dantley, who had taken such good care of us as our server, noticed it and, after noting that we had just entered and started up on one elevator, was actually able to catch the other elevator and beat us up to our floor (11th) and was standing there when we got out to give me back my wallet. After thanking him, I later went back down to "increase" the tip we left for dinner and in appreciation for his honest character. I went to front desk to inform the Supervisor on duty about both of these fine employees. They are typical of what we have come to expect at this Marriott. Fantastic people! Thanks so much to all of you!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David M
Iris C, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2012

Thank you so much for your review! And, thank you for your recognition of our two all-star employees, Mandy and Dantley. Your kind comments were shared with the staff. As a matter of fact, Dantley was awarded the Associate of the Month just before your review! We appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and I'm so happy our staff took such good care of you! Take care and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We have stayed here a number of times, usually off-season, and it is a favorite of ours. Sheree remembered us from a previous visit, and the rest of the staff is friendly, too. One day, our room wasn't cleaned (stayed indoors too long, I guess), but that was corrected after a call.
Was worried one night because we were directly over the party room, but there was no noise at all. The views are great, pool was fine, and walking distance to our favorite breakfast and pizza spots.

Room Tip: suites are very nice!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Iris C, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/North 37th Street, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

Thank you for your loyalty to our hotel! It's so nice to see familiar faces come through our doors - I'm delighted to read that Sherese recognized you all and thank you for recognizing her in your review! I'm glad we were able to respond immediately to your call and that the noise below didn't disrupt your night. Thanks for taking time to review our hotel and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Just came back from an extended weekend stay with my mother- in- law in Virginia Beach, and was treated so well at the Courtyard. Our first evening we arrived fairly late, and they put us into a lovely corner Queen suite right away. We were so pleased to have a living area and kitchenette, with balcony overlooking the boardwalk and beach, and a large seperate bedroom with 2 queen size beds. The room was very clean, with the exception of a torn seat cusion on the living room sofa .The only other minor complaint was that there were not enough toiletries provided daily, but when we requested more, they responded immediately. Josh at the front desk was tremendously helpful and always pleasant. He provided us with a list of shopping and dining options, driving directions and parking information. His personal recommendations for dining provided us with our best meals of the trip! The bisto was very good for breakfast and the lobby area was very inviting. The pool area was very pretty and larger than expected. We would definitely return to the Courtyard North.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your detailed review! I'm glad you enjoyed your corner Queen suite! And, I'm pleased to hear our staff responded to your needs immediately. Josh was thrilled to read your review! His pleasant demeanor and extensive knowledge of the Oceanfront makes him a valued member of our Front Desk team. Thank you for recognizing him. We appreciate your time spent with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed April 22, 2012

i absoultely lovvvvvved it. it was a nice place the rooms were goregous very spacious there was an indoor pool and outdoor pool a gym room it had its own breakfast area down stair where they serve u..workers were so helpful and nice..parking is wonderful..very cleannnnn jus all around beautiful..ill defintely come baack...when the rate of the rooms go down..lol

Room Tip: upper levels..better veiw of the beach
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review! I'm glad you 'lovvvvvved' it! And, thank you for posting pictures of our Oceanfront Suite. You mentioned all the highlights of our hotel and I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay! Our rates change regularly so keep your on eye on them, especially in the fall. Thank you for choosing our hotel and we look forward to serving you again!