“Best Restaurant In Hampton Roads”

Leaping Lizard Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Leaping Lizard Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 1,559 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Leaping Lizard Cafe happily serves Lunch each day; Dinner Tuesday-Saturday (from 5:00pm-8:30pm) and Brunch both Saturday & Sunday. We were featured on the Food Networks "Diners Drive-Ins and Dives", our quaint cafe location is a popular restaurant for many. Wonderful menu items are prepared daily using locally grown produce and fresh seafood. The Leaping Lizard Cafe concept is Simple. We have created a menu with heavy emphasis on fresh ingredients from the Local farms of tidal Virginia, and stock our kitchen with local fruits, vegetables & seafood from our very own produce market. Specialties include homemade sweet potato biscuits with local Edwards Surry ham & peach jam; Our famous Chicken Salad Sandwich with Peach Chutney and Homemade Soups. We have scrumptious daily specials based on what is in season. Both indoor and outdoor seating areas are available for a casual and enjoyable dining experience. We bake all of our delicious homemade breads, biscuits, cookies and desserts on property daily! Our services also include both on and off-site catering from small private gatherings to receptions of up to 500 people. Catered functions have included: Weddings; Birthday parties; Fundraisers; Holiday parties; Oyster Roasts etc.
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Ate lunch with the gf. We shared the white bean soup with ham on sweet potato biscuit. Both were spectacular. The sweet potato biscuit blows Citrus' out of the water. Gf had a turkey BLT. It was a bit dry, but delicious. I had the duck breast. Delicious, small portion, but satisfactory for the price. We shared an amazing chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. This place is ridiculously good. I love it. It's eclectic with good service and amazing food. Can't wait to become a regular!

1  Thank VJC8523

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had a wonderful lunch.sweet potato biscuits and rock fish soup for my wife and smoked turkey,Smithfield ham and cheese sandwich for me.The sweet potato biscuit had amazing flavor as did my sandwich Betsy said the soup was wonderful.We had their famous oatmeal raisin chocolate chip hot out of the oven.A hidden gem in Virginia Beach don't miss it or the eclectic gift store of the same name.Pricing is good for there menu of extremely fresh ingredients.

1  Thank boxshop
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant provides a gourmet meal in a casual atmosphere. Wait staff was friendly and attentive. The tuna was perfectly cooked. Desserts are outstanding and homemade. Every aspect of our meal from wine to dessert was expertly served and made with fresh ingredients. If you visit Virginia Beach Leaping Lizards is a must stop!!!

3  Thank Pgh86
Reviewed November 2, 2013

went for dinner with my parents tonight at their request. had eaten nice lunch years ago with my wife.

night was disaster from the time we arrive. no one met us for about 15 minutes at the check in area. there seemed to be shortage of servers also. we got seated but another 15 minutes went by until we were able to order a drink. service being slow we decided to order soon after. limited menu esp salads. salads were included with dinner (which we didn't know) so good thing we didn't order salad. salad was very sparse on a 4x 4 inch looking plate with minimal ecoutrements. very plain but fresh. this took about 30 minutes to arrive after order and dinner took about one hour.

my dinner was the rockfish and was not good. i like white meat and was served with dark meat also and skin. most good places remove this as it is not tasty but the portion was small and mainly the poor quality meat. there were no substitutions for veggies so what they had (which was only the veggie of the day) is what you got. my server didn't even ask when over 1/2 of my plate was left if i enjoyed it. didn't want anything or substitute but wasn't even offered.

my beer was drank out of a mason jar. asked for lime. they said they didn't stock limes. asked for martini for my wife and they said only beer/wine. my chair was broken and was uncomfortable. no cushions in any of the old time chairs.

service was slow and in the end when i wanted to leave the bill, coming, then going then signing took almost 20 minutes! by that time i just wanted out of there. we had no appetizers and only the entree and we were their 2 hours (if that tells you anything about the service). in the end, i was just hoping to get home quickly to serve myself some real food.

it was a terrible experience from the get go and i regret just not leaving then. i am not one to write bad reviews ever but i was very unhappy. there was no ambience, comfort or warmth to the entire experience like you would expect when someone is happy that you are at their restaurant and wants repeat business!

3  Thank bfa5y
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My wife and I stopped in for dinner tonight. It is a very eclectic little café that is a hidden gem. The service was absolutely on point and the food was some of the best we have ever had. Everything served here is fresh, same day made, and organic. The café has no freezers on site and openly informs its patrons so they know exactly how fresh the food is. I had the trout and my wife ordered the lightly fried oysters. While we were waiting our server brought us a little treat from the chef (a sweet potato biscuit with ham an fruit glaze) that was incredibly good! This café is a must do for anyone in the area as well as visiting! Will definitely be returning to the Leaping Lizard Café every visit to the area. GREAT JOB TO ALL AT THE CAFE!!!!!!!!

1  Thank Richard D