“We had a great lunch and good prices. I would come back.”

Leaping Lizard Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Leaping Lizard Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 1,442 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Leaping Lizard Cafe happily serves Lunch each day; Dinner Tuesday-Saturday (from 5:00pm-8:30pm) and Brunch both Saturday & Sunday. We were featured on the Food Networks "Diners Drive-Ins and Dives", our quaint cafe location is a popular restaurant for many. Wonderful menu items are prepared daily using locally grown produce and fresh seafood. The Leaping Lizard Cafe concept is Simple. We have created a menu with heavy emphasis on fresh ingredients from the Local farms of tidal Virginia, and stock our kitchen with local fruits, vegetables & seafood from our very own produce market. Specialties include homemade sweet potato biscuits with local Edwards Surry ham & peach jam; Our famous Chicken Salad Sandwich with Peach Chutney and Homemade Soups. We have scrumptious daily specials based on what is in season. Both indoor and outdoor seating areas are available for a casual and enjoyable dining experience. We bake all of our delicious homemade breads, biscuits, cookies and desserts on property daily! Our services also include both on and off-site catering from small private gatherings to receptions of up to 500 people. Catered functions have included: Weddings; Birthday parties; Fundraisers; Holiday parties; Oyster Roasts etc.
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We great food and service but a bit hot . The menu was awesome. The location is a bit hidden of shore drive .

There are newer reviews for Leaping Lizard Cafe

Reviewed November 28, 2012

True, Leaping Lizard is a charming spot with creative cuisine, but their customer service needs some work. Twice I've placed an order for my favorite dish, only to have the wait person come back (much later) to tell me they were out. If it's a popular dish, make more of it. And shouldn't the wait staff know ahead of time what dishes they're out of, or low on? Please tell me before I study the menu.

On my most recent visit I brought a friend, who had already had lunch, to sample one of their fabulous desserts. As we were being seated I asked if they had my favorite dish. "Oh, yes!" she answered. (You know where this is going.) She came back later and said she was wrong, they were out. I cancelled my order. My friend had to settle for an oatmeal cookie because the dessert person wasn't there that day. It took FOREVER to get the cookie. I thought surely because of the disappointment and slow service they would make the cookie complimentary. But no, we got a check for $6 for the cookie and two iced teas.

After learning that they now offer dinner I drove to LL one evening and was happy to see the "open" sign posted near the road. After I pulled in to the parking lot I could see it was actually closed. How hard would it be to pull up the little sign-on-a-stick so hungry customers won't be misled?

Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband ate at the Leaping Lizard after reading all the great reviews. Our experience was different from most reviewers. My crab cakes had many pieces of shells in them, the side of aubergines was cold with thick hard skin, fish was largely tasteless. We got the appetizer after we got the entree our waiter could do with some customer service training. Great disappointment.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Leaping Lizard has great food but you better get there early or you will have to wait a long time. There is not much seating especially in the colder weather, but if you get there right at 11 when they open you will do well. Although i had seen them on diners drive- ins and dives I was still unsure how the chicken salad with peach chutney would taste so the waitress offered me a sample....it was delicious. The best was the sweet potato biscuits with surry ham and peach chutney...these were to die for! When I asked about a to go order, the waitress said they did not make enough to be able to order to go. So better call ahead if you want them to go! I would definitely recommend to everyone!

The gift shop on the property is very small and too expensive. The shop is too tiny to stay in waiting for a table.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Superbly fresh food in fun atmosphere. My friend saw the show they were featured in on Food Network, "Dives, Diners & Drive-ins" and told me about it when she knew I was coming to the area.. It's really a cute little shack with awesome boutique & farm stand behind. Welcomed by chickens in the yard and the signature Rockfish & Flounder dishes served quickly and out of this world. We bought cookies to go and shallots for our own cooking later. What a great find!