“First stop and best tip for Va Beach area lunch.”

Leaping Lizard Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Leaping Lizard Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 1,471 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Leaping Lizard Cafe happily serves Lunch each day; Dinner Tuesday-Saturday (from 5:00pm-8:30pm) and Brunch both Saturday & Sunday. We were featured on the Food Networks "Diners Drive-Ins and Dives", our quaint cafe location is a popular restaurant for many. Wonderful menu items are prepared daily using locally grown produce and fresh seafood. The Leaping Lizard Cafe concept is Simple. We have created a menu with heavy emphasis on fresh ingredients from the Local farms of tidal Virginia, and stock our kitchen with local fruits, vegetables & seafood from our very own produce market. Specialties include homemade sweet potato biscuits with local Edwards Surry ham & peach jam; Our famous Chicken Salad Sandwich with Peach Chutney and Homemade Soups. We have scrumptious daily specials based on what is in season. Both indoor and outdoor seating areas are available for a casual and enjoyable dining experience. We bake all of our delicious homemade breads, biscuits, cookies and desserts on property daily! Our services also include both on and off-site catering from small private gatherings to receptions of up to 500 people. Catered functions have included: Weddings; Birthday parties; Fundraisers; Holiday parties; Oyster Roasts etc.
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Superbly fresh food in fun atmosphere. My friend saw the show they were featured in on Food Network, "Dives, Diners & Drive-ins" and told me about it when she knew I was coming to the area.. It's really a cute little shack with awesome boutique & farm stand behind. Welcomed by chickens in the yard and the signature Rockfish & Flounder dishes served quickly and out of this world. We bought cookies to go and shallots for our own cooking later. What a great find!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

It was a long wait...and we got outdoor seating when it was HOT out...but the food was awesome and would totally love to go back another time when the wait is shorter and I can sit inside in the AC!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

The food at Leaping Lizard is outstanding. They have yet to dissapoint. Everything is fresh, delicious and very reasonably priced. This is a very popular spot on Shore Drive and for that reason it gets quite loud inside but on a nice day you can opt to eat outside instead, if you are lucky enough to snag a table there. I only wish it was still a bit of a secret spot, but am happy for the owners it's doing well, they certainly deserve that based on all my experiences there. Try the Fall/autumn sandwich with apples, bacon, carmelized onion and gorganzola...it is OUT OF THIS WORLD good!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My wife and I have had dinner and lunch here on 4 occasions. It has somewhat of an unusual layout., and location. It is right off a main road, though set back a bit. It is also next to the grade school one of our boys attend, in fact he has remarked on the fact that some of the chickens that roam about (yes, chickens walking about) wander into the soccer field during recess.

They do not take reservations, so large groups may be an issue. The inside dining area is small, but clean and welcoming. One of the times we sat in one of the 2 tables next to the restroom door. Not my favorite, but luckily there were no 'issues' that detracted from our enjoyment of the food. Given the small dining area, you have a 1 in 5 chance of being seated within a few feet of the restroom doors. The outside dining area has several tables. Some are out in the open, some are under a plastic clear corrugated sheet. It will keep light rain off you, but in heavier rain you will get wet.

The service all 3 times was prompt and courteous. They explained the menu items well, refreshed our drinks reasonably often and checked on us sufficiently. The food each time was delicious. It was fresh, well prepared, nicely seasoned. There was no dish that I was disappointed in at all. The produce was remarkably fresh.

There is no separate kids menu, but they will work with you to make something for your kids. If you order the grilled cheese, be aware that it is made with the bread of the day. Once, it was a bread the kids were ok with. The other time, it was a different bread with lots of herbs, tasted great to us, but the kids found it too exotic and would not eat it.

The price was reasonable, but not cheap. It is one of our favorites in the area, and we will plan to eat there again.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I had lunch here for our anniversary. I had been wanting to go since I heard about it being on the show Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. It did not disappoint. We arrived around 11:30a on a gorgeous Friday. We were greeted promptly and seated in the back under the shade. It was a good choice as it was unseasonably warm. Very charming outdoor seating.
DH had the crab cake which included a small salad, roasted vegetables and a few apple slices. I had the sweet potato biscuit combo which included some field greens, roasted potato salad, apple slices and fall vegetable soup. We both loved everything on our plates. He ordered the soup prior to his meal. It was a mushroom cream based soup with fresh corn, mushrooms, and spinach. I'm not a soup person and I loved it.
My favorite, by far, was the sweet potato biscuit with country ham and peach spread. Delish.
We followed it up with the chocolate ganache cake. Again, excellent and very chocolatey.
My advice is to get there before or after the lunch crowd as the seating is limited. When we left there was a wait.
Our total bill including tip was about $38. More than we normally spend on a lunch for sure, but this was a special occasion and definitely worth it.

1  Thank Tammy G