“Fresh food, friendly service.”

Leaping Lizard Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Leaping Lizard Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 1,428 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Leaping Lizard Cafe happily serves Lunch each day; Dinner Tuesday-Saturday (from 5:00pm-8:30pm) and Brunch both Saturday & Sunday. We were featured on the Food Networks "Diners Drive-Ins and Dives", our quaint cafe location is a popular restaurant for many. Wonderful menu items are prepared daily using locally grown produce and fresh seafood. The Leaping Lizard Cafe concept is Simple. We have created a menu with heavy emphasis on fresh ingredients from the Local farms of tidal Virginia, and stock our kitchen with local fruits, vegetables & seafood from our very own produce market. Specialties include homemade sweet potato biscuits with local Edwards Surry ham & peach jam; Our famous Chicken Salad Sandwich with Peach Chutney and Homemade Soups. We have scrumptious daily specials based on what is in season. Both indoor and outdoor seating areas are available for a casual and enjoyable dining experience. We bake all of our delicious homemade breads, biscuits, cookies and desserts on property daily! Our services also include both on and off-site catering from small private gatherings to receptions of up to 500 people. Catered functions have included: Weddings; Birthday parties; Fundraisers; Holiday parties; Oyster Roasts etc.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Fresh food, friendly service.”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My wife and I have had dinner and lunch here on 4 occasions. It has somewhat of an unusual layout., and location. It is right off a main road, though set back a bit. It is also next to the grade school one of our boys attend, in fact he has remarked on the fact that some of the chickens that roam about (yes, chickens walking about) wander into the soccer field during recess.

They do not take reservations, so large groups may be an issue. The inside dining area is small, but clean and welcoming. One of the times we sat in one of the 2 tables next to the restroom door. Not my favorite, but luckily there were no 'issues' that detracted from our enjoyment of the food. Given the small dining area, you have a 1 in 5 chance of being seated within a few feet of the restroom doors. The outside dining area has several tables. Some are out in the open, some are under a plastic clear corrugated sheet. It will keep light rain off you, but in heavier rain you will get wet.

The service all 3 times was prompt and courteous. They explained the menu items well, refreshed our drinks reasonably often and checked on us sufficiently. The food each time was delicious. It was fresh, well prepared, nicely seasoned. There was no dish that I was disappointed in at all. The produce was remarkably fresh.

There is no separate kids menu, but they will work with you to make something for your kids. If you order the grilled cheese, be aware that it is made with the bread of the day. Once, it was a bread the kids were ok with. The other time, it was a different bread with lots of herbs, tasted great to us, but the kids found it too exotic and would not eat it.

The price was reasonable, but not cheap. It is one of our favorites in the area, and we will plan to eat there again.

Suffolk, Virginia
“Outstanding food, charming atmosphere.”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I had lunch here for our anniversary. I had been wanting to go since I heard about it being on the show Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. It did not disappoint. We arrived around 11:30a on a gorgeous Friday. We were greeted promptly and seated in the back under the shade. It was a good choice as it was unseasonably warm. Very charming outdoor seating.
DH had the crab cake which included a small salad, roasted vegetables and a few apple slices. I had the sweet potato biscuit combo which included some field greens, roasted potato salad, apple slices and fall vegetable soup. We both loved everything on our plates. He ordered the soup prior to his meal. It was a mushroom cream based soup with fresh corn, mushrooms, and spinach. I'm not a soup person and I loved it.
My favorite, by far, was the sweet potato biscuit with country ham and peach spread. Delish.
We followed it up with the chocolate ganache cake. Again, excellent and very chocolatey.
My advice is to get there before or after the lunch crowd as the seating is limited. When we left there was a wait.
Our total bill including tip was about $38. More than we normally spend on a lunch for sure, but this was a special occasion and definitely worth it.

1 Thank Tammy G
Hockessin, DE
“Home cooked food with a smile”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We, wife and 13 yo, stopped here on our way to NC. We found it using the FoodNetwork app on our ipad. We were not dissapointed. The wait was about 15 mins on a Friday afternoon around 1230p. The hostess and soon to be our waitress greeted us with a smile and then sat us at an outdoor table. The atmosphere is very relazing, the food was all homemade and fantastic. We had the ClamChodwer, Sweetpotato biscuit with slices of ham with a peach jam and a side salad. My wife had the homemade chicken salad and my son had the grill cheese. All were fantastic. Quick service, always asking how our meal was. And everything was around $10 per person. A great local find.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Proper, 'home' cooked food - love it here!”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The Leaping Lizard is my 'local' restaurant. I have eaten here on a number of occasions and never been disappointed. The food is always super tasty and fresh ( try the sweet potato biscuits and homemade soup) and reasonably priced although the prices are creeping up a little now it is gaining in popularity. You may well have to wait for a table and try to ensure all the party arrives together otherwise you will have to wait for everyone to arrive before you are seated. The service is always prompt and friendly, the setting quirky and arty ( especially if you are outside) and the menu changes often but retains favourite items.
On my last visit I tried the crab cake which was delicious and all crab, no filler, my only complaint would be that it was a little small, as was the accompanying corn sald, just a small spoonful on the side. Usually the portions are just enough to fill you up without over eating. Otherwise it has always been perfect and can't wait for my next visit.

Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“Good food - not welcoming”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

5 stars on the food - 4 stars on service for our server - 1 star on friendliness

The food was excellent and our server attentive and friendly. Unfortunately our first impression was not warm and welcoming at all. We had a party of 5. Two of us showed up soon after opening for lunch. We browsed the gift shop for a few minutes then decided to secure a table since we had a larger than normal party. After being greeted we were pretty much "shoed" to an outside table because five of us at a table inside would be pretty cramped. However, it was pretty hot (90) and humid. I think we would've preferred a/c and cramped to outside under those circumstances. We didn't make a fuss though and said fine. The hostess said she'd get our table set and ready - which she promptly did. Keep in mind we were pretty much the first ones there - period. The place was empty. The meeting time for our group was 11:30. Our table was set and ready by 11:15. A few minutes later the third person showed up. By 11:20 4 out of 5 of us were there. What really ruffled our feathers was being told we would not be seated until our entire party arrived - policy dontchaknow. You know, I understand policies are made for a reason. And under other circumstances (rush hour, really busy) I would have been much more okay with having to wait to be seated. But really? We're standing out there trying to find some shade to wait in, and we can see the completely empty patio with our table all set and waiting for us and they refused to seat us. It made no sense. It felt rude and not welcoming or friendly at all. Our checks would've been larger had they let us sit and wait - all of us would've ordered a drink. But by the time we finally got seated we were so irritated we just wanted to get the show on the road.

By the time we left around 1:00 the place was packed. So if you want to go just know ahead of time you should try and get there early and don't expect to be seated until your entire party is there - even if they're empty.

1 Thank Wanda T