“We'll be going back!”

Quality Inn & Suites Oceanfront
Ranked #77 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Our room was clean and comfortable and ideally located poolside on the first floor. I would recommend requesting the first floor if you have a lot of beach gear (beach cart, sandy towels, toys). There is a beach entrance right across from the hotel. (Beach access in Va. Beach is free.) We (including my 3 kids aged 8, 9 and 13) were literally able to walk out our patio door, cross the pool deck, walk across the boardwalk, and be directly on the beach. When we returned from the beach, we parked our cart right outside on our room’s patio, and were able to jump right into the pool. (There is a place on the boardwalk to rinse your toys and feet, but the hotel also has a hose hooked up by the pool, and it was fine to just use that instead!) It was a convenience not to have to bring everything inside, and made a huge impact on our stay. The beachfront outdoor pool was a huge plus for us, and upon walking the boardwalk, I could not find many places that could boast of the same feature. Daily on the pool deck around 3 pm there was a free treat provided to guests (ice cream sundaes, popcorn and lemonade etc.) The pool is open nightly until 10:45 pm, and I was concerned that outside noise at bedtime would be an issue, but I can attest that it was not. I do agree with other reviewers that when the military aircraft from Norfolk fly overhead it is extremely loud when you are in your room or at the pool, but that is only during the daytime. I did not notice it on the weekend, but did on the weekdays. I imagine it impacts most hotels along that stretch of the boardwalk, and it was more interesting than annoying. Save some money and take advantage of the above average offerings at the free continental breakfast. We definitely appreciated that the hotel allows you to remain on property after checkout, use the pool, keep your car in the parking lot, and provides a place for you to clean up and change before leaving the property after checkout. We really enjoyed our stay, and will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: first floor if you have a lot of beach gear (beach cart, sandy towels, toys)...very convenient to ke...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Njmom23ks

Reviewed August 15, 2014

Hotel and Rooms are outdated, but the bed was very comfortable as were the pillows. The location was excellent. The staff were helpful and pleasant. The continental breakfast was nice. Did not feel it was over priced. Would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Pghmum
Reviewed August 15, 2014

WARNING -- this will be a very long and thorough review:

I chose to stay a this hotel because I felt it gave me the most for my money. My 3-night stay with a AAA discount cost me $775 and some change. The same stay at the nearby Springhill Suites, though newer and nicer would have cost $1418. I really like Virginia Beach, but I think their oceanfront hotels are very overpriced during the summer months compared to other east coast beaches I have visited.

I recently stayed in room 311 in the north building for a 3 night long weekend arriving on Friday and departing on Monday. I was traveling with my 3 sons, an almost 21 year old and 16 year old twins. We arrived a little before the 4pm check in time and were allowed to check in right away with a very courteous lady in the lobby who did not hesitate to give us 4 room keys at our request. There is ample parking at this hotel and it is the only one on the oceanfront that I could find that allowed parking for more than one vehicle as my oldest son and I drove separately. However, we narrowly missed having our vacation get off to a bad start. Upon arrival there was no room for us to park in the small (enough room for only 3 or 4 vehicles) semi-circular driveway in front of the hotel. We parked on a dead-end street designated for hotel guests across the street from the hotel between the parking deck and the building that houses the hotel's indoor pool. As soon as we were given our parking passes, my son went to put them on our vehicles while I finished with the check-in procedures. It had been less than 10 minutes since we had parked, but there was a tow truck getting ready to tow my son's truck as he arrived with the parking passes. Thankfully, he got there in time to avoid being towed, but just barely. The sign at the entrance to that parking area says that it costs $145 in cash to collect your car if it is towed. After checking in, there was room to move my van to the driveway in front of the hotel long enough to unload our belongings onto one of several luggage carts available in the lobby.

During our entire stay there was never any problem getting one of the two elevators when needed. Because we were only on the 3rd floor, we often used the stairs, though. I think the name of this hotel is a little misleading. To me, a "suite" indicates more than one room, in addition to the bathroom, and as far as I know, there are no multi-room suites unless you reserve (and pay for) 2 separate but adjoining rooms. As the only female of the group, a little more privacy would have been convenient at times, but for a short stay, we made do with very little inconvenience. All rooms except for those on the ground floor have a view of the beach and most have a view of the outdoor pool area.

We reserved an oceanfront room with 2 double beds and a sofa that converted into a bed. The bathroom and closet area were small, but the room was spacious. Although a little dated, both the room and bath were clean and the beds and sofa were comfortable. We were able to control the room's temperature with no problems. All of the amenities listed on the hotel's website were present in the room -- safe, hair dryer, iron, ironing board, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, wi-fi at no additional charge, flat screen cable tv, alarm clock, and a desk w/ chair. There were 2 chairs and a small table on the balcony but there was plenty of room to add 2 of the beach chairs we had brought with us to accommodate all 4 of us at the same time. We had a beautiful view of the ocean, beach, and boardwalk as well as the outdoor pool area. On both Saturday and Sunday mornings, our room had been cleaned and refurnished with fresh towels by 11am while we were out enjoying the beach. Some other reviewers have mentioned loud noises from the air conditioning and/or frequent planes flying over the hotel, but I noticed neither of these and could hear the waves from our room with the sliding glass door open a bit. There was an unusual odor in the room, not bad or too strong just different than what I am used to. I think it must have been one of the cleaning products they use as I noticed it in the hallway also. I always travel with a scented candle and a bottle of Fabreeze and once I used those, the odor disappeared in the room.

We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast all 3 mornings which was a step above a continental breakfast. Choices included a buffet of scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, sausage links or ham, fried potatoes, raisin bran cereal, Fruit Loops cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, apples, assorted muffins and pastries, bagels, English muffins, wheat and white bread, coffee, milk, orange juice, and apple juice. In other words, there was plenty to satisfy each of us. We never had a problem finding a table or ever had to wait to use one of the toasters. Some guests chose to eat at one of the 8 umbrella tables outside by the pool.

One reason I chose this hotel was because it had both an indoor and outdoor pool. There were always plenty of available lounge chairs and pool towels around the outdoor pool, and each afternoon a complimentary snack was served. Popcorn and lemonade on Friday, snow cones on Saturday, and ice cream sundaes in Sunday. We checked out before the afternoon snack was served on Monday. Guests can rent beach chairs and umbrellas, bikes, roller blades, and 2-4 person beach cruisers at a kiosk located on the pool deck near the boardwalk. When we checked in we were told that although we would be required to check out of the hotel by 11am on Monday, if we wanted to stay longer and enjoy the beach, we could remain parked on their property and use the shower facilities at their indoor pool (a separate building across the street) for the remainder of the day. I would have taken advantage of this perk had I not had another commitment that
required me leaving Virginia Beach by 11am that day.

The entrance onto the beach from the hotel is very convenient and handicapped assessable. Close to this entrance is a shower to rinse off the sand as soon as you leave the beach. There are plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance of this hotel. Overall I was very satisfied and would stay here again. I only gave it 3 stars because, in my opinion, it was still a bit overpriced and the decor could be updated, plus, that near-miss with that tow truck is still fresh in my mind.

Room Tip: Except for those directly facing the oceanfront, most ground floor rooms will not have a view of the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank TraceyRVA
Reviewed August 11, 2014

The price was expected considering ALL the oceanfront hotels in VA BCH are overpriced and most of them are outdated, as is this one. They can get away with almost $200 a night because of the location. But you will experience: moldy lampshades, peeling paint, stained sheets, dirty carpets and a strange leak in wall of lobby causing flooding down a tiled ramp - slippery! Most staff pleasant and check-in was painless, but one of the front desk ladies (somewhat young, blonde) has a serious attitude (see below about expired soda).

As other reviewers note, all rooms have a good view, but I have to wonder if you can actually hear the ocean and boardwalk sounds if you get an oceanfront room. All you could hear from our room (508) was the commercial a/c unit on the roof of the other (North) wing. Could not really enjoy sitting on the balcony or keeping the sliding glass door open. The a/c unit in the room did not keep the room cool, so we left it off most of the time. The comforter had what appeared to be blood stains on it and the sheets had ink stains. The pillows were bad - small and mushy. The mattress was adequate. I was glad I brought my slippers as the carpet was nasty and not well-vacuumed. The wireless was extremely flaky and dropped so much that I finally gave up (it worked better on the balcony, but still dropped out there too).

The "free" breakfast is DISGUSTING. Even the bagels were NOT GOOD. I am not sure how you can mess up scrambled eggs, home fries and little sausage links but that is definitely one thing they were able to do successfully. The older lady who kept the area clean was, as other reviews mention, nice with a pleasant smile even when she was shooing people out of the expansion room. The younger girl was slow-moving and made us feel like we were in her way. DO NOT EAT HERE unless you want to spend the next hour in the bathroom.

The HBO movie list was from the previous month and the front desk said to get a new one from housekeeping; housekeeping said to get a new one from the front desk. I hate not knowing what movie is on and what time you can expect the next one to start. Channel flipping in most any motel is annoying - not sure why they can't have a Guide button like the rest of us. The sodas are $1 per can in their vending machines but BUYER BEWARE. The can I purchased was expired by several months and the blonde at the front desk found it incredulous that I would ask for another one to replace it. She may have just been mad that I interrupted whatever snack she was consuming behind the wall. Speaking of snacks, I never saw the 3pm poolside snack that the other reviewers mentioned. Not that I would have eaten it anyway, but maybe the front desk beat us to it and there was none left to share.

It rained the entire weekend, so the pictures are mostly of the room in which we were pretty much stuck. We usually don't care so much about an outdated, worn out room when we're at the beach but when you really can't get out of the room, it makes for a miserable stay. Especially since we could not enjoy the balcony. Or HBO. Or a cool room. Or Smoke-free. It is supposed to be non-smoking EVERYWHERE even on the balconies but most of our neighbors disregarded that rule. I mentioned it to the front desk who promised to address the issue but, if they did, the other guests smoked away anyway.

The on-site restaurant, Chix, had a very tasty crab soup, but the steak we ordered med-rare was sent out raw at first, then sent out burnt on 2nd attempt. No steak for us that night (it was part of their dinner special, so we expected a little more attention would be paid to the dish). We did get seconds on the soup so we didn't leave starving. Plenty of room for ice cream from the little shop across the street!

On venturing out the next day, we found that Mahi-Mah's was disappointing this time around. We go to VA BCH several times a year, living only 90 minutes away, and usually enjoy MMs as our favorite place. The day bartender was friendly as usual and served up decent Bloody Marys, but the happy hour and evening staff were rude and rushed. HH specials are good but we were promised new dinner specials EVERY night (we asked at least 5 different staff members at different times of the day, and they ALL said "the chef creates a fantastic new dish every night, but we are not told what it is until 5pm" - even when we asked at 4:45pm, we were told we had to wait until 5pm to find out what that night's special was). Earlier, we had asked the day bartender what the previous night's special was so we could get an idea of what they were offering, and found out when we came back for dinner that it is actually the same special all weekend (which would usually be fine, but we were explicitly told that the specials were created EACH NIGHT at 5pm by the chef). We ended up leaving and going for steaks at Black Angus for dinner instead. They overcooked my med-rare steak to the point of it being quite charred on the outside, gray on the inside and simply inedible. It's a steak place, for goodness sake. No apology offered. This place has really gone downhill and their prices way too high for what they are slinging off the grill. At this point, I was ready for a simple slice of pizza!

The only decent meal all weekend was brunch at Waterford's. Their drinks are overpriced, though, and meal portions a little slack. Good (free) sticky buns. Unorganized bar staff. Nice desk (but we had to ask for the ceiling fans to be turned on).

If you have never been to Virginia Beach and are expecting a quiet, relaxing vacation, rent a house in Sandbridge. If you want to be close to the "action" (read - loud, boisterous, drunken college kids) stay anywhere from 30th street down to 6th. If you want to be away from the crowds, you can try the Wyndham up on 56th Street - it's far enough away to be quiet but a close drive in if you really need to buy your $15 souvenir T-shirts.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $30-$40 on an oceanFRONT room to possibly avoid the LOUD roof-top air conditioning u...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2014

This hotel is a great place to stay! It's very clean and the staff is nice, friendly and attentive. The free breakfast bar was a nice bonus to. It's at the quiet end of the beach and made for a very peaceful morning to sit on the oceanfront balcony and watch the dolphins play. It is a bit dated but it's clean and the beds are comfy. I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: ask for oceanfront room above the first floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

What we liked best was this hotel was very clean and the free breakfast was very good and served in an orderly fashion. The staff was great and very accommodating. The only reason I gave it a 3 was because the elevators were slow and stuffy and the rooms could use updating. It's an old hotel but a decent place to stay. I feel we got what we paid for.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Hotel is in the quiet area of the boardwalk meaning fewer shops and restaurants. Check in was super quick. Rooms are a bit dated but clean. Every room has a good view of the ocean with a balcony. They have bike rental and roller blades on the premises. Live music is played at a neighboring hotel about 6 to 11pm each night which enhanced the beach vacation vibe. Jets fly over in the daytime. The noise from them is really really really loud. It would definitely scare small kids. There are more positives than negatives so i would definitely stay there again. The best part was a covered parking garage.

• Stayed: August 2014