“Terrible Customer Service and Mediocre Hotel (left 2 nights early)”

Quality Inn & Suites Oceanfront
Ranked #77 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Ottawa Lake, Michigan
“Terrible Customer Service and Mediocre Hotel (left 2 nights early)”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

In short, this hotel made promises that they didn't deliver on and treated us as though we were a huge inconvenience. Not to mention, the room was relatively disgusting. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Read our entire story below.

My husband and I took a trip to Virginia Beach as an inexpensive beach destination for our anniversary. We began our drive from Michigan early in the morning, but knew it would take us quite some time to arrive. Also knowing that hotel rooms are usually assigned first come, first serve, I called ahead to see if there was any way to reserve a room on a floor above the 3rd floor. The balconies for the oceanfront (and more expensive) rooms of this hotel are directly on the boardwalk and I was hoping for a little more privacy by being higher up. I was assured that it was no problem. Our arrival at 8:00pm would still allow us to have a room on the 5th floor that they set aside for us. This all sounded great and then we arrived....

The hotel attempted to give us a room key to a room on the second floor. I corrected them stating that our room had been reserved on the 5th floor since 12:00 noon. With no apologies the second woman behind the desk said that there was a plumbing problem in that room and that our 2nd floor room was it. I suggested us taking a cheaper room that was not oceanfront so that we could get a higher floor. The hotel insisted that every room was already taken, they were completely full and we had to take this room. As we began to leave the desk and collect our things from the car, my husband heard the front desk check-in the couple behind us. Conveniently, there room was the room directly above ours. (Sounds like there was a room available after all.)

Frustrated, I began to get settled into the room. As I assumed, there was no privacy in this 2nd floor room. While sitting on the bed I was making eye contact with people on the boardwalk. (I hardly reserved an oceanfront room to keep the curtains closed but apparently that is the only option if you want some privacy.) Our carpet was stained, seemed to have gum or something stuck to it and the bathtub did not drain. (Apparently the plumbing issue was not only in the 5th floor room.) My poor husband had to shower in ankle-deep water.

Knowing I would be unhappy with these accommodations the rest of our long weekend, I called Choice Hotels to see if there was another hotel in the area or anything they could do to provide us with something else. They provided no assistance. I shared with the gentleman my concerns as well as my request for a higher room that was granted and then revoked. He in no uncertain terms informed me that it was my word against the hotels and that I could check out in the morning if I was unhappy. I have never been so disappointed in the Choice Hotels group of hotels.

Early the next morning, my husband and I let the hotel to find another option. Conveniently on our way out, our hotel had managed to find a single room that was available to us, exactly one floor above us. Clearly at that point, I had been so disappointed that I wouldn't have stayed for anything. My husband and I drove the Virginia Beach strip to find a reasonably priced oceanfront hotel and were so grateful to find a hotel that met our every need and desire. The staff gave us a parking pass, told us where we could keep our things, gave us some suggestions for things to do and took both of our cell phones to make sure we knew as soon as the room was ready. (I reviewed the other hotel on Trip Advisor too. Five Stars.)

Once we had gotten accommodations in place we hurried back to our hotel to make sure that we checked out in time. After waiting in a long check-out line we informed the hotel that we were leaving and were very disappointed with the service we had received as well as the room accommodations. Again without apology, they took our keys and handed us the bill.

As we moved on with our weekend trip, my husband noticed that our credit card was being charged by the Quality Inn each night. The amount didn't even reflect our appropriate room rate had we stayed there, it was more! After another pointless phone call to the hotel directly, then another phone call to Choice Hotels, we were given the name of a "night accountant" who came in at 11:00pm. When my husband called at 11:00p.m. he was informed that the "night accountant" was the owner and would certainly not be at 11:00p.m. Then, he was promptly hung up on. After the second night worth of credit card charges, we called Choice Hotels and finally found someone who helped fix this problem after a 45 minute phone call. (Seems like a long time, but we were grateful that she was willing to help.) A week later, the charges were finally removed from our credit card.

I will end with the following: Buyer beware. You get less than what you pay for here. Find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JulesP623

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Key West, Florida
Reviewed November 14, 2013

What a view!!! Chris checked us in and he was very hospitable; even gave us suggestions of where to eat. Location was perfect! Average clean room, but could use some updating. Although it was freshly painted. Like I said the view was awesome. Our room overlooked the pool and the ocean. The free breakfast had no waffles, but it was good. If we had more time we would have stayed again a second night. I will return! They even have an indoor and outdoor pool.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Virginia, United States
Reviewed November 4, 2013

This was the first time we've been to Virginia Beach. We had a great time. We booked the hotel room a few days before we arrived. The hotel price was excellent for what we got. We had an oceanfront room with 2 double beds, pull-out couch, refrig, microwave, etc. The view was great. Everything we asked for, we got. The staff was very friendly. They made us feel right at home. The deluxe breakfast was delicious. My parents stayed at a hotel 1.3 miles away. They were able to get a parking pass, access to the pool area, etc. I would def stay in this hotel next time we go to Virginia Beach, and I would def recommend this hotel to anyone. We are a family of 5 and can't spend a lot of $ on a hotel, but enjoy the simple pleasure of friendly staff, beautiful ocean views, free breakfast, clean rooms, comfortable beds, etc. At this hotel, you will find just about everything you want for a great price.

Room Tip: I would recommend doing your research on a hotel before booking it. I would highly recommend this ho...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Faith W
New Kent, Virginia, United States
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

This was the second time staying at this hotel. The first was during the summer a few years back and with our kids. This time it was in the fall and without the kids. Best of all, with our hotel points, our stay was completely free. The room was nice and clean, very sound proof. You could not hear the ocean with the balcony door shut. The staff was very helpful and friendly, helping us on the elevator and speaking to us every time we walked by the front desk. Parking was across the street in a parking deck, but it is a small sacrifice to pay for being on the ocean front. Best of all, there was hardly anyone there, and it was peaceful and quiet. It was a great weekend get away and only an hour and a half away from home. Look forward to staying again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank William B
Virginia Beach
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Had a great time. Location was perfect for us. Being on the beach and close to fascinating museums worked out well. Chix restaurant next door had a nice atmosphere and good food. The breakfast in the morning was perfect.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Susan W
seahunt207
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

I booked twelve rooms at this hotel for my kid's soccer team. Due to the excessive amount of rain the city pulled the field use permits and the tournament was canceled. Our booking agent used over 30 hotels for this event and most agreed to return the room deposits, this hotel would not. The manager was unwilling to issue refunds, reduce the fees or even change the dates for a family willing to come a different weekend. There are lots of places to spend your money in Virginia Beach but I would advise avoiding this one.

Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Seahunt207

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

South Riding, Virginia
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Booked our room (total of 12 rooms for our soccer team) for a Columbus Day Soccer tournament. Because of the rotten weather in VA Beach this week the City of Virginia Beach canceled the entire tournament. The hotel was very willing to cancel our rooms but would not budge on the 72 hour cancelation policy. So we're stuck paying the full fare. Sure would have been nice and reasonable to offer some sort of refund or credit for another night since this was completely a result of what the City of VA Beach and not our own doing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business