“Sleepable, but not worth the money!”

Quality Inn & Suites Oceanfront
Ranked #77 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This was our first time staying at this hotel. We only stayed one night and I was not pleased! It started with the across the street parking! You had to park in the space in front of the hotel to check in. But before parking we had to unload the car, then go park. I'm glad I wasn't by myself because if I was, that ment you had to unload the car, carry everything up to the room while dragging a toddler....THEN go park the car across the street and walk back across the street with my child, then to my room. Ridiculous!!!!! Anyhoo, the room was smaller than I expected it to be. Not really a lot of space for your luggage and things....just the small closet in the corner with the spider hanging over it. We had to call the front desk because there was a spider hanging in the corner over the closet and another bug of some sort a little lower in that same corner. Maintenence came with bug spray and a broom and told us it was dead. He attempted to remove it with a broom, but the still living spider crawled down the web to the floor and we ended up killing it ourself. The curtains to the balcony cover a small (about the size of tennis ball) hole in the ceiling right above the balcony doors. The balcony door did not have a lock up high enough to keep my toddler from opening the door. That door wasn't light enough for her to open, but you never know what could happen, that extra lock security wasn't there. The refrigerator didn't really keep stuff cold....just cool. Bathroom was rather small. Two people definately can't stand in there comfortably. Breakfast was ok, nothing to be excited about. The few staff members that we did see appeared to be fairly nice. The best part of the hotel was that we actually had a room that looked out to the beach. (The way the hotel is, some of the rooms have a semi-oceanfront view.)Overall, our trip was fun...outside of the hotel! Our next trip, we will go back to the Fairfield or Hampton Inn!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 20, 2012

The website indicated that I booked a room with an ocean view. The hotel is set up as a horseshoe around a pool with the opening of the shoe facing the ocean. So some rooms had direct ocean views, but if you were given a room on either side, your view was of the rooms on the other side of the pool. To be fair, if I stood in the corner of the room or went out on the balcony I could see the ocean. But as I walked along the boardwalk at the hundreds of hotel rooms that directly faced the ocean, I found my "ocean view" to be lacking. Perhaps this is a reasonable compromise between accomodation on the beach versus accomodation accross the street from Atlantic Ave, but they should price the rooms with an obstructed ocean view appropriately. Otherwise, this was a typical stay at a Quality Inn--happy with the other aspects of the room and the hotel--what one expects from this chain.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We booked at this hotel about 2 months in advance and comparable to other hotels chains adjacent on the oceanfront, this had the best ratings for the lowest price. When we arrived, check in was fast and the staff was really friendly. We booked two rooms. The family comprised of me, my husband, our 2 year old son, and my mom, for 1 week. When we got to our rooms, I thought, "What the Heck is this?" The room reminded me of a motel room at first glance. Especially the view of the bathroom sink leading to the shower and toilet area. The sink area was small, but well lit. I was expecting something a little more plush, but apparently, I haven't been out for awhile! After dwelling on it a bit, I figured that for the price I paid, I shouldn't have been expecting plush. Overall, the rooms just needed to be renovated.
The shower felt really good and hot. The water beaded down on me without hesitation. Also, I never once ran out of hot water and this was even after being last to shower for an evening out. After I took my shower, I was a little thrown off right before ironing my clothes. The iron was nailed to the ironing board with a metal iron holder and to use the iron, you had to take the entire ironing board out of the closet. The ironing board could have used some oil, as it squeaked as loud as a guinea pig waiting to be fed! Right before I started to iron my clothes, I smelled something burning, as I waited for the iron to heat. Well, to my surprise, there was a piece of plastic melting on the iron, which my husband scrubbed off with a well wrung washcloth. My husband chastised me because he wanted to pack our own iron for the trip, but I told him that was ridiculous. WHO KNEW you had to bring your own iron to a hotel? I certainly didn't know this.

They had awesome Internet service, we were able to use our own technology to set up our own Netflix account and watch movies, etc. The TV was a LG brand flat screen, which was pretty cool. Additionally, the room came equipped with a small refrigerator and a microwave. That was perfect because we were able to warm up our toddlers food and stow away cold drinks instead of using ice to keep things cool.

More, one thing that I did not know until I arrived is that there is a difference between "Ocean view" and "Oceanfront". I booked my trip online and when I booked, oceanfront wasn't an option. Well, if you do not know the difference, let me tell you that ocean view is a view of the ocean, meaning, you could have a pool front room, with an ocean view! I wanted an oceanfront and did not want to be pool side, but like I said, these options weren't available when I booked online. If you want an Oceanfront, you might have to call to make reservations for a room. Luckily enough, the kids and whatnot weren't noisy in the pool, so it all worked out.

Concerning the pools, the outside pool was really nice!!! It was open from about 9AM until 11PM. They also had an indoor heated pool with the same available hours, but unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to check it out. The indoor pool was across the street from the hotel somewhere. Oh and there wasn't a fitness center. I must have read the wrong review because I could have sworn there was one for this hotel.

Parking was located across the street, as well. The only annoying thing about the parking situation, which wasn't any fault of the hotel, was there were some guys outside 24-7 trying to solicit timeshares and everyday we passed, they would harass us.

So last on this review is Quality Inn's breakfast. On the website, it boast of a quality breakfast because it's QUALITY INN!!!! I'm sorry, it wasn't quality in my opinion. I'd have to say that the breakfast and the rooms needing to be renovated a bit were the only downsides to staying at the Quality Inn & Oceanfront Suites. But don't let me get you wrong. I would stay here again and I would recommend to a friend. They only served (EVERYDAY), potatoes, scrambled eggs, which tasted like they were freeze dried food from Nasa's storage kitchen; pork sausage links, dry cereal/milk, yogurt and a variety of bagels, danishes, and muffins, to include your standard beverages, juice, coffee, water, etc. And like Forrest Gump, that's all I got to say about that!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We booked at the last minute, and had a really large, rather odd room.Our room rate was somewhat lower than comparable oceanfront hotels. It appeared to have been part of the banquet room and looks to be able to be changed back should the need arise. There was two king beds, two sofa beds, and two toilets. The room was very clean. Even though the room was oceanfront, there was no balcony. Also the bathtub did not drain well, leaving us in water up to our calves while bathing. One big plus was the ability to get a parking pass and use the changing rooms across the street at the indoor pool area, both before and after our official stay, thus extending our beach time considerably. The common areas could use some freshening up. The staff was friendly and welcoming. We also weren't too crazy about the included breakfast at the restaurant, but there was a great deal of variety, even it the prepared items are lacking and the space is uncomfortably cramped. If you are looking for a clean place to stay while enjoying the beach, this hotel in conveniently located near Ruddee Inlet and avoids the much more crowded central and north oceanfront area. As long as the pros continue to outweight the cons, we will continue to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The service was your average service, the pool was kind of dirty, the rooms are not worth what you pay for, and when I went the people next door were screaming and banging against the walls, and had the TV so loud, we did a noise complaint, and they didn't do anything. The breakfast on the other hand was delicious.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We spent several nights with our 3 grandchildren, ages 8, 12 and 13, the end of July. We were thrilled to get our corner oceanfront room, #411, with spectacular views of the ocean, boardwalk and pool area.
The room had two double beds and a double sleeper-sofa which our 12-yr-old grandson found very comfortable. It had a small fridge and microwave also. The balcony had several chairs and a small table. The only down-side was that the bathroom was pretty small. The sink was outside the toilet/tub area, but was very narrow with no room to store toiletries. We managed to work around this and didn't really find it a problem, given the rest of the amenities.
The kids loved the 3 PM poolside snacks. On ice cream day, you got two large scoops of vanilla with lots of topping varieties. We adults enjoyed it too.
The staff we met were very friendly. Breakfast was good, with sausage links one morning, hot ham the next, scrambled and hard-boiled eggs, fried potatoes, pastries, yogurt, fruit, cereals, juices, etc.
We let the kids swim in the indoor pool across the street until our room was ready - it was pretty hot in there, but the kids liked it. The outdoor pool is large and clean, and there were plenty of lounge chairs, umbrella tables, etc. Towels are provided in a plastic chest by the pool.
I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank flahagan
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Nice place to stay and great location. The hotel was very clean and the staff very friendly. Nice feature was the afternoon snacks out by the pool. First day there they offered ice cream sundaes, didn't have one, but the kids loved it. The other days here is rained so wasn't able to enjoy the snacks. Lobby always has coffee available, the breakfast was better than contential, included scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, and some sort of meat, in addition to cereals, danish, bagels, breads for toast, fruit, yogurt, juices, coffee, etc. All rooms have an ocean view a very relaxing stay!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple