“Great place for young kids!”
Review of Turtle Cay Resort

Turtle Cay Resort
Ranked #50 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We came here on a last minute trip Memorial Day weekend with our 5 year old and 9 month old. We had a 1 bedroom suite with a kitchen, fireplace, and a jacuzzi in our bedroom (which was great for us after the kiddies went to bed!) Very clean, lots of room, great amenities, including a washer and dryer which was great for the wet swimsuits!

We loved the pool. The water is extremely shallow so I was able to get out and sunbathe while my 5 year old splashed around feet from me and I was very comfortable holding my squirmy and active infant in her floaty. We also liked that it was only a block away from the beach. It was very easy to run back to clean bathrooms for the kids, and lugging all of our stuff, coolers, water toys, sandtoys, diapers, drinks, etc. wasnt very difficult as the beach is lterally across the street! The beach was so empty for it to be Memorial Day weekend! The property is located pretty far away from all the wild and active Memorial Day weekend partying. It was nice, quiet, and perfectly family friendly. Had tons of room to spread out on the beach with the kids next to other families.

We loved it so much we decided to stay another night but we had to change rooms. The second night we had a much smaller room that had no view and the window faced the hallways. We definitely weren't a huge fan of that room as it was very cramped, loud from all the people walking by, and next time we will know not to book one of those rooms!

We had an odd random situation happen where the cleaning crew (who had already cleaned the room) came in again while we were out at the pool, and took all of the alcohol and food out of our room! Security and the front desk were very accomodating and we had a report filed because we didnt know at that time it was the cleaning crew. We thought someone had broken in! Long story short, it was their error and they gave us a $100 gift check to their neighboring restaurant across the street which had awesome food.

Bottom line, if you're looking for peace and quiet, this probably isn't your place. If you're looking for fantastic location in a family friendly place then this is the place to go! Even with the incident we are planning a trip back this Memorial Day weekend!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank TravelFamilyMD

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Turtle Cay is not a high rise, ocean front hotel. It is, however, a very nicely-appointed, three story resort building, just a stone's throw from the boardwalk. The staff was very nice and they went the extra mile to accommodate us when a water leak made our room a clean-up zone. We were moved to an upgraded suite and enjoyed more space and a fireplace on our last night.
The bathrooms were very spacious and I was impressed by the quality of the linens.

Room Tip: Bedrooms away from the public parking garage are much quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank MDtraveler51
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Noisey. Lacks privacy, the windows face the hallways. The furnishings look they were pieced together from a swap meet. The beds were uncumfortable. The sofa sagged. The phone charges were ridiculously high. I was billed for internet access for every device I wanted to connect. The spigot on the bath tub blew off, when I turned the water on. The kitchen and dining supplies appeared to be Dollar General clearance items. The wind blew through the patio door as if it wasn't there. My complaints to the management staff were not responded to.

Room Tip: Stay away from Turtle Cay.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank David B
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Every year we go on a different vacation for our anniversary (12 years) and this time we went to Virginia Beach. We decided at the last minute to bring our nieces. I was a little weary of this resort because of the comments from other people. Let me get my one complaint out of the way....the walls are very thin!! Construction was going on during our stay so we heard that, but the noise from people inside their rooms were worse.

But...other than that it was a great vacation. We had a one bedroom, was in room 106 in the building near the office. The room, living room and bathroom was very clean. The bedroom was right at the door which was a little weird but was ok. The balcony was nice, looking over the pool area. The staff was very courteous and helped us with tickets to Nauticas, (recommend) Check in was quick. Even though we own a timeshare, we did go see another timeshare and it was really NO pressure. Since its the winter time, it was hardly anybody there which was perfect for us. I would recommend this resort and will go back again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JGSWOMAN
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Very nice layout of the rooms inside and out. Enjoyed having the rooms at opposite ends of the 2 bedroom suite. Wonderful view of the pool from the balcony. Bathrooms were very spacious. We were close to everything. I do suggest if you do not have children to take the top floor. The people above us had a child running up and down for 2 hours in the early morning. I would definitely recommend this place and go again.

Room Tip: I would advise getting a room on the top floor. On our last night the people above us had a child wh...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Peter R
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I spent my 3 year anniversary here and i absolutely loved it. The staff was very nice and gave tips on where to eat and where to go to have a great time at night. My suite was very clean, which is not always the case at others places, and the front desk clerk called us to make sure everything we were okay after we checked in. I love this place so much I'm going back for my birthday.

Room Tip: Rooms on the highest floor have the best views.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Yolanda W
Reviewed February 21, 2012

This hotel has a resort feel and is just a few steps to the ocean. Overall the rooms are great and the pools are great for kids. Just a little to busy at times. This hotel is not to far from anything. You can leave the car parked for a few days, no need to drive anywhere except for a tourist trap.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family