“The noisiest hotel I've ever stayed in”

Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #74 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Richmond, Virginia
“The noisiest hotel I've ever stayed in”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend event. Since the event was held here, I figured that I would just stay in the same hotel for the convenience.

When I made the reservation I was given a Bayview Room. However after I checked in it was a room with a balcony facing the parking lot. I had to go back and asked for a bayview room. The new room turned out to have a nice view, with a living room facing the ocean. The room has a little kitchen area with microwave, sink, fridge and coffee machine.

I don't know whether it was because of the old ventilation system, but I smelled strong cigarette smell in my room and I don't smoke! I had to deal with that. Also it was extremely noisy at night. People shouting in the hallway at 4:30AM and woke me up. It happened both nights during my stay.

However, the staff were very friendly and nice and helpful. The pool was average and the sauna room seemed like it needed to be clean thoroughly. I didn't try the Sunday Brunch but it looked great. I mean, with the famous Citrus Breakfast and Lunch just right down the road, why confine yourself in the hotel for breakfast?

Room Tip: Ask for Bayview room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
StaceyShiflet, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for staying at our resort recently and we do apologize that the room type requested wasn’t initially given to you and that some neighboring guests kept you awake. Our intention is to provide a relaxing enjoyable bay front vacation for our guests and we’re disappointed you didn’t experience that. Please come back again so that we can make it up to you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I had a corner room with a beautiful view of the ocean. It was great to be able to open the door and enjoy the fresh ocean breeze. The room size was HUGE. However, the furnishings are extremely dated, not to the point of being uncomfortable but certainly not pleasing to the eye. It was just my bad luck that there was an event of some kind being held there and the group ended up being extremely disruptive even to the point of fighting and the police having to be called. The hotel staff was responsive, I thought the security staff even put themselves in harms way. It's certainly not the hotel's fault this happened, but I didn't feel safe after that, so I checked out. If you're looking for lots of space, a great location with awesome amenities and don't mind dated furniture, then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Corner suites have large balconies and excellent view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
StaceyShiflet, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for staying with us recently and also for your candid comments. We’re sorry that one of the groups staying with us disrupted your visit. We do hope you will come back again when plans bring you to the area.
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed here over the Memorial Day weekend the last two years and will be back next month.
The location is great as you are on the beach of the Bay so you miss the crowds of the V.B. ocean beach but it is only minutes away if you want to enjoy the beaches. The view from the room is great, and as others have said the sun and moons are sensational. You can relax and have a great night time view of the lights of the magnificent Hampton Bay Bridge Tunnel (for those that are not aware.. 17 miles of bridge and tunnels connecting to the Eastern Shore of VA) The balcony lets you see the fishing boats and pleasure boats enjoying the waters right in front of you!
Restaurants within easy walking distance as well as a Grocery Store directly across the street, great convenience to feed the crew.
They have rentals of Hobie type sailers and Sea Doo type PWCs right there and the prices are fair, add in the kayaks and the big 'water bikes' and you have it all!
I highly recommend this facility not just for the location but also for the attitude of the staff to take care of you and your groups needs... Also it is a GREAT PLACE to have a wedding or big reunion or other get together.
Al Z

Room Tip: Beach side up high is best as it gives a great view of the 'treasure hunters' on the beach i...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
staceypatrick, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Your perfect score is truly appreciated and we are flattered with your detailed comments and excitement about our resort. We make every attempt to provide our guests with plenty of comfort and amenities to make their vacation memorable. We look forward to your arrival next month so we can provide you with another great experience here on the Chesapeake Bay!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I am a teacher at a local high school in Virginia Beach. I used the hotel and their restaurant, Tradewinds, to hold my Junior Class Ring Dance. I have nothing but positive things to say about the service I got. I worked with the hotel for 9 months on getting this event set up, and when the night came for the event, everything went perfect. The staff was great. They were friendly and patient, and worked very hard to achieve the look we were going for with the dance. Nothing but the good things were said the following week at school about the dance. Not only will I, but I know my school will be using the hotel for events in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
It was our pleasure to host your schools Ring Dance at our resort and we are delighted to hear that our staff helped to make the event memorable for your entire group. We look forward to working with you and the school in the future and thank you for your kind comments. Feel free to stay in touch with us via: Facebook.com/vbresorthotel
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The staff could not have been more helpful from start to finish! Susan, Vicki & Jeff staff made it possible to be relaxed & were outstanding hosts. We spent an entire weekend in October, 2012. Many of us arrived earlier & stayed later. Our family reunion attracted members from across the country & also overseas. Accommodations, dining, beach location, access to sports: tennis, indoor/outdoor pool, plus historical sites made the weekend such a great success. Our "cousins" were all delighted with the meals, large suites with balconies & the ability to enjoy our time together. We had a function room for the entire visit to display our family memorabilia, maps & historical information. Children loved the. Thanks you for the Memories. msricia

Room Tip: The two bedroom suites are marvelous. All suites have views of the beach and water with balconies.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank msricia
staceypatrick, General Manager at Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Outstanding! Thanks for such a great review score and also for the awesome news that you and your family had a wonderful time here at our resort on the Chesapeake Bay. We hope you’ll come back again if your travel plans bring you back into the area. Stay in touch!
Facebook.com/vbresorthotel
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Can't say enough about the hospitality of the employees at this hotel. They were there to help out with all of our needs. The breakfast was great and overlooks the water and the gym pool and spa are all great places to relax. The location of the hotel is great. Tons of places to go eat very close to the hotel and a ton that deliver if you are looking to stay in for the night. I will be back at this hotel when I return to Virginia Beach.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Evon P
We are thrilled that you enjoyed our service staff and were able to provide you with the hospitality you deserve. Our views here at the resort are like no others in the area and we’re pleased you appreciated our bay front location. We’d love for you to come back again and in the meantime, stay in touch at: Facebook.com/vbresorthotel
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The view from the hotel rooms are spectacular. There are spacious balconies on the rooms that are great for watching the sun rise and set. The hotel staff was extremely accommodating. We had five people in our room and never had to ask for extra towels or soap or anything. There are plenty of places to eat in the area and even a grocery store across the street to grab snacks for your days on the beach. The indoor/outdoor pool is very nice, as are the hot tub and sauna. Would definitely go back and stay with them again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Steven B
Your perfect score is truly appreciated and we thank you for your kind words. We are so happy that you enjoyed your time at our bay front resort and hope you have many memorable things to look back upon. The dolphins have been very active lately and we hope you were able to catch them swimming during your visit. Please visit us again and stay in touch: Facebook.com/vbresorthotel