“Don't expect 5 star when it's not”

Red Roof Inn Virginia Beach
Ranked #48 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
PA
“Don't expect 5 star when it's not”
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We stayed 4 nights. The Front Desk staff was nice and accomodating. Don't be afriad to ask for towels or toilet paper, they never leave enough in your room. Take your own amenties, because one sqeeze pack of shampoo & one hotel size bar of soap is all you get. Maids will make the beds, and empty trash, our sheets were the same our entire stay. It is a 15 minute drive to the beach, but we had mulitlpe things to do while there so we wanted to be centrally located to all we needed to do, and not pay the high price of the beach front hotels. Pool was ok, but did not get in the water. Denny's Resturant and a 7- eleven are both a short walk away, which is good because the free coffee in the lobby isn't very tasty. Ice machine's were not keeping up with the weekend crowd, mostly because most guests brought coolers, since refrigerators are not part of the deal. TV remote was pretty wackey. When we were leaving I looked under the beds to make sure we had everything, wish I hadn't looked, not sure a vacume has been under those beds in quite some time, they never vacumed our carpet while we were there. Watch the "safe" fees at check out; they will charge you for the safe that is in your room even if you don't use it, unless you make mention of it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank gotmom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
VIRGINIA BEACH, VIRGINIA
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I recently stayed at the Red Roof on Ballard Ct. in Virginia Beach. I reserved a 2 night stay with my credit card for my daughter. I put her name as the guest and I put my credit card info for the billing. Upon arrival, my daughter was asked "How would you like to pay?" The employee then said the credit card was just to guarantee the room, but it was not paid. My daughter had my credit card, but he insisted that he would have to fax something to me and I had to sign it and fax it back to him. I was appalled because not many people have a FAX machine in their home. She then went and had to take money out of my account and pay in cash. I reserved a all-inclusive king room for 111.00 (which I guess was without taxes). He charged her a total of 133.00, which does not make sense. The taxes did not add up to be over 20.00, but he insisted that the total was 133.00, so she paid anyways. After she got in the room, she tried to get on the wireless Internet and when she couldn't get on, she gave up. I read on the website that the all-inclusive king room had "complimentary Internet," however, she kept getting asked for a wi-fi password or pay for a monthly access fee etc., To add insult to injury, the bathroom was NOT clean at all. Apparently the shower curtain NEVER gets washed because it doesn't look like it comes off the shower rod. It smelled of mold and the bottom of the shower curtain was pink from the shower grime and smelled like urine. There were hairs all on the floor and the toilet paper on the roll was almost gone. On the first morning after checking in, housekeeping apparently tried to clean the room very early when they were still sleeping, they left the room around 4pm and when they returned, the bed was made. NOTHING else was done. They were only given 2 fresh towels, but all the dirty towels were sitting in a pile on the floor. No fresh washcloths or hand towels and nothing else was cleaned. I will NEVER stay at another Red Roof again after this experience, nor recommend this chain to anyone I know.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
baltimore
Reviewed August 19, 2009

this hotel is disgusting. hair on the sheets. stains all over the ELEVEN YEAR OLD mattress. stains on sheets. carpet was not vacuumed. had to ask for new sheets and only gave us one, no blanket/comforter. we stayed here thinking it was close to virginia beach. its a 12 mile drive in traffic to the beach. we will never stay at a red roof again! really dissapointed, definetely not worth the price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
someones_angel28
Reviewed July 9, 2009

we went down for the 4th of july. we had planned our trip 5 months in advance. a week before we go down we were quoted 94.99 for a micro firdge room and 89.99 for a regular double bed room. when we get there they wanted to give us the room for 120.99 with out taxes. we traveled for 7 hours with 3 children to find out that check in is not until 3 and still one of our rooms was not ready until 4! we argued with the manager and he said we were trying to get AAA rates and i didnt even have a AAA card! i told him what we were quoted and he said we could not get those rates. but sinces it was the fourth of july weekend we kinda had no other choice but to stay there. we were over charged 92.52 than what we should've been between the 2 rooms. now that i am home i called the guest service represenatives and the hotel manager calls me back just to argue with me AGAIN about the rates! the cleaning staff was really nice but totally unorganized with the front desk. at 11 am we were woken up for the cleaning lady to clean our room. we didnt answer and she tried to come in thinking we were checking out that day when we were staying for 3 nights! the ice machines were always empty, and our air condition didnt work 2 nights out of our stay. the pool is nice and clean and our room was pretty good despite the microwave dish. our remote didnt work and anyone even my children could order an adult movie! it is in a good location despite the interstate being right there. if you are on a fixed income like my family i do not recomend this hotel. otherwise our stay was ok.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Bath, PA
Reviewed September 11, 2008

My husband and I recently took our 4 year old daughter to Virginia Beach. We are on a budget and got a great deal on this hotel through Expedia. The first thing I noticed was how clean the bathroom was. The room looked newly painted and well maintained. The staff was friendly and helpful. We went off season so it was quiet and we had the hotel pool to ourselves. It was about an 11 mile drive to the beach, but an easy drive. Overall we had a very pleasant stay and would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The room was very clean
  • Disliked — Distance from the beach
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank gappers96
NYC
Reviewed August 5, 2007

Motel was recently renavated but barhroom is a bit small. At check-in only 1 towel was in the room and no other toiletries. 2nd day room wasn't made up. T-Mobile wireless connection only good for 24 hrs and then you have to pay for additional minutes plus log-on. No refrigerator. Good for one person stop over not a family.

Stayed August 2007