“Great newly remodeled hotel. Excellent customer service.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #38 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel two years in a row. Is it beautifully remodeled. Rooms are very clean. All of the staff is friendly and helpful. Location is rights on the beach. Wake up to a beautiful ocean view.

• Stayed: May 2010
26thstreet, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2010

Thank you for your compliments on our property. We strive to make every visit a great one. We enjoy hearing positive feedback and look foward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed September 27, 2010

Although traveling to Virginia Beach annually, this was the first year we stayed at this hotel. The stay was great. The rooms were clean, the staff was more than helpful and the location couldn't be better. We stayed for four nights then traveled further south for three nights, then returned to this hotel for a night on the way home. Both visits were very enjoyable but on the return, reception staffer (Bee) was exceptional. She got us into our room early and we were pleasantly surprised to be given a suite. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Checked in lobby under construction. Sand, dirt and stains everywhere. Checked in went up to room and it was so dirty we switched rooms. Second room had mold in room, filthy filthy bathroom. Found two huge black spiders in room. Breakfast dirty and unclean. Would not let me dog eat there. Paid for breakfast across the street. Was supposed to stay for a week checked out the next morning. Worst hotel I have by far ever stayed in. When we checked out early not even a protest when we told them the hotel was filthy. Do not waste your time or money on this hotel it will ruin your trip to VA Beach. Disgrace to Holiday Inn Chain this hotel should be condemned.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2010

Service is top-notch, location excellent. Will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Bottom line my wedding rings came up missing after staying at this hotel. MY WEDDING RINGS ARE MISSING. There beautiful, an amethyst with 21 diamonds. We were here only one night and I thought my rings were safe and our belongings were safe. I contacted the general manager right away and I was told by the GM the hotel insurance company would be contacting me. I have not heard from them The GM told me an interogation was done on the locks. My rings did not get up and walk away by themselves. I filed a police report and spoke with a VB Dectective. The VB Dectective told me she would contact every pawn shop in the Hamptom Roads area. Still no word on my wedding rings. My rings is an pair shape amethyst with 21 diamonds. 7 diamonds are on left side of ring and 14 are on top,. I've been married 20 years and my heart was ripped right out of. I've been grieivng. I do not not want money from any insurance company. It sure would of been nice if GM says she will do something and did it, but no, the ball was dropped. I've already been forgotten after checking out. Bottom Line I WANT MY WEDDING RINGS BACK. THERE MINE!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank vahomemarket
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Great hotel. Newly renovated. A breakfast every morning that had something on it for everyone. The gym was well equiped with cardio and free weights.Great location!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Sorry but I have to write this to warn other families not to waste their money because staying here could completely ruin their vacation. This is only the fourth night here and I am here for a full two weeks and want to leave now.
First problem was that not every room has a microwave. I have NEVER stayed in a hotel without a microwave. I am on a strict medical diet and can't eat out much due to this and needed a microwave to heat the foods I can eat. So I ended up going out to a local retail store and buying a microwave so I could eat.
Then came the parking issue. We have a twelve passenger van so parking can be difficult anyway, but here you could have a problem if you owned a mini cooper. It is only Wednesday and the parking is pretty close to non-existent, I cannot wait until the weekend. What do we do when we don't have a place to park? Sleep in the van on the street so we don't get towed?
Next issue is the mattresses. You know there is going to be a problem when you get up off of the bed and you can literally hear the springs bounce back. I have barely slept since Sunday. I toss and turn all night trying to get comfortable and I wake up every morning in pain from head to toe. I have been staying in and not joining my family on certain outings due to being exhausted and needing naps during the day. I find myself yawning all day long and just not enjoying myself. I have discussed this a few times with the front desk and nothing can be done to change the mattresses. I went to the mall today and saw mattresses in a store there and found myself wondering if they would deliver one to my room. Hmmmmm, I did buy a microwave why not a mattress? I guess I have to draw the line somewhere.
Then there is the issue with the towels in this place. I have two rooms for two weeks and then next week I am adding a third for more family flying in. We have four people per room so you would expect a clean towel per person right? Well the first day I had four towels, the second three towels so I asked for the fourth and 24 hours later still had three so I used my beach towel to shower. I asked again for the fourth from the housekeeper before leaving the room in the morning and yes you guessed it, I came back to two towels in the room. I am sorry but is it two much to ask for a towel to shower with? It is not like they even clean your room. The basically give you clean towels, empty the garbage, maybe run the mop over the floor in the bathroom and that is it. No vacuuming or real cleaning. So what is the big deal about getting towels? If they are afraid of not getting them back I will gladly do a towel sign out sheet with them! I just want plenty of clean towels on my very expensive vacation.
So the last straw which made me come here and write this review came this morning. I went down nice and early with my family to have breakfast (which you need to set your alarm to go down and eat before the vultures get there and start pushing and shoving to eat) and after which I go to the fitness room to enjoy a nice quiet work-up. I walk into the fitness room to find a bunch of kids "working out" on all the equipment. One child was using the treadmill in his stocking feet. I managed to get lucky and got the last piece of equipment which was the stationary bike and began my work-out (after cleaning up some used towels and cups on the bike). They were loud, making a major mess and taking all the weights off the stand. About 5 minutes later the parents come walking in dripping and I mean dripping with sweat and begin laying all over the equipment and letting their kids continue to use the equipment inappropriately. After staying for about 10 minutes they all left leaving behind their filth and wet sweaty equipment. So I did manage to finish my now mini work-out because I wasn't touching any of the other equipment. I left after picking up most of the mess because I do feel bad for the person who has to come in and clean up all that filth. So today I went out and bought a bunch of disinfecting wipes to clean the equipment before and after I use it.
After my work-out I went and tried to wash and dry my clothes but I only washed them because people kept putting stuff in the dryer even though they didn't wash the clothes first. There is only one washer and dryer for the entire hotel and they are hot items. So I hung out all my clothes on the balcony before running out and that is when the thunderstorm came. So needless to say my clothes are all soaked and I will attempt to rewash them tomorrow and maybe I will hit the lottery and get the dryer too!
A couple of other little issues that could be easily dismissed if all these other bigger issues did not exist. My rooms are located directly across from the elevators, ice machine and the soda machine. Every time people get on and off the elevator, get ice or even a quick drink we know about it, especially the traffic throughout the night. There are only two elevators in this entire hotel for customers and staff. So you can wait a good 10 minutes for an elevator to go to your room during the busy hours. I would use the stairs but have six children and my rooms are on the fifth floor so that can be difficult. The balcony doors have a decent latch except my three year old can reach it and has attempted to unlatch it several times. I think it would be a good idea for the hotel to raise these latches considerably to prevent accidents from happening. We watch our children very closely but accidents can happen very quickly. Plus the railings on these balconies are plastic and not very sturdy at all and I would never even consider leaning on them for fear they could give way. The pool is tiny and the chlorine burns your eyes before even walking into the pool area. The hot tub looks nice but every time I walk by there are all kinds of kids in it.
I gave this hotel a 1/5 rating because this site wouldn't allow me to give it a 0/5. I did give it a 5/5 for location because it is right on the boardwalk.
Lastly I do want to say a few good things about the hotel. Their coffee is great, they have free Wi Fi and the front desk employee, Roberto, tried very hard to help me and he is extremely polite. So If all you like to do on your $14,000 vacation is drink coffee and play on your laptop the Holiday Inn Express in Virginia Beach is your perfect hotel!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family