“Not bad for a Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #35 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
NYC
“Not bad for a Holiday Inn”
Reviewed April 6, 2007

Look if you really want to stay on the beach there are better hotels..Look at the Hilton.. I stayed one night..It was fine. The room was clean. The bed was ok and the seemed fine. Remember this is a holiday inn dont expect anything better than OK. By the way they allow pets which I find to be a major turn off..

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Its a Holiday Inn
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank nglaw1116

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
lexington
Reviewed February 13, 2007

I recently stayed last month in early January. A colleague made our reservations and I'm glad she did! Great hotel on the water with an awesome view. Our rooms were clean and spacious. The gym was small but since the weather was unusually warm for this time of year, we went for a run on the boardwalk instead. There is a restaurant on-site but we didn't eat there, except for the complimentry coffee every morning. Everyone from housekeeping to the front desk girls and management were friendly and accomodating. I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Oceanfront views , cleanliness, staff
  • Disliked — small fitness room
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
USA
Reviewed October 26, 2006

We stayed in the Holiday Inn Surfside from October 25-27, 2006. We were very pleased with the quick check-in, the courteous staff, and, of course, the amazing views from our room. The bathroom fixtures are a bit dated, but the rest of the room was wonderful. The hotel staff was very courteous, especially the housekeeper we walked in on when she was still cleaning our room. We had gone out for breakfast and then walked back to the hotel, and she was just finishing the room. She was very polite and accomodating to my wife's few requests, and had the room done and in very good shape in no time! Very pleased with the hotel, especially the free wireless hi-speed internet, which was great, and very reliable. The location is excellent, and we will return here.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Syrzebra
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed October 8, 2006

We stayed at this Holiday Inn for a family wedding and everything went wrong from the moment we checked in. We stayed for 3 nights: Thur. through Sunday. First of all, we had requested adjoining rooms with my in-laws since we were traveling with our two young children ages 2 and 4. They still take naps and by having the adjoining room my husband and I wouldn't have to sit in a dark quiet room for 2-3 hours during the day. We were told that these rooms were first come first served however, when we arrived we were told that ALL of these rooms had been taken by one group. No one was in these rooms when we arrived but, they allowed a "group leader" to check in everyone even though they were not there!!!!! The other problem with check in was that we had found a coupon for a cheaper rate than our quoted wedding block rate and they would not honor it since we were on a wedding block (which is suppose to be a discounted rate). After we found out we were not getting the adjoining room or the coupon honored we decided we would look for another hotel that would better meet our family's needs. We were then told by the front desk clerk that if we chose to do this that the bride's parents would still have to cover the cost of the room since they had a contract. This made no sense to us since the hotel was sold out for the weekend but, we were not going to put that inconvenience on the brides' parents so, we were stuck. We asked to speak to a manager and were told there would not be one until the morning. We checked in around 5:00-6:00pm. The next problem to occur took place the 2nd night when some sort of huge youth singing group decided to hold practice outside of the hotel windows until between midnight and 1:00am (These youth were also guests of the hotel). We called the front desk and they said they would send security out. I don't know if they did or not but, I can tell you that they very loud singing did not stop. The final and biggest problem was that on Saturday, the day of the wedding (Remember we are on a wedding block that couldn't be cancelled) I received 2 phone calls. The first was at 11:10 am from housekeeping asking if I was going to want the room cleaned and I said yes but, not until after 11:45 since I was trying to get myself and my two sons ready to leave for the wedding. My husband had already left since he was in the wedding party. Right after hanging up I returned to getting everything ready and the phone rang again. This time the it was the front desk saying I was to have checked out by 11:00. I explained to the woman that was impossible since the wedding was at 12:30 and we were to be there 3 nights. She said that I was wrong and that they were booked for the night and no rooms were available and I would have to check out. This employee was rude and to be honest at this point I couldn't take anymore. After many exchanges back and forth with this woman and me having a meltdown I was told that she would take care of it. We left the next morning and I will never go back to this hotel. For the cost I expected a cleaner room, better customer service, and a cleaner pool. The room was OK but, obviously just surface cleaned. The pool had a great deal of sand in it due to the large amount of unsupervised youth guests that were using it. The only positive thing I have to say about our stay at this Holiday Inn was that the view was beautiful and the beach well cared for. I will return to Virginia Beach but, not to this hotel.

• Liked — The location to the beach
  • Disliked — The service of the hotel staff.
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank muleeann
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed September 6, 2006

I stayed at the Hoilday Inn on AUG 14-18, 2006. I don't think I will ever stay at this hotel again. The room was nice. The view was very nice. The parking stinks-They have three parking lots that are small for people that are staying there. We had 5 people and 2 cars. I had to pay $7 a day to pay in a lot. The hotel is not worth $260 a night-plus tax. (which over $300/night). But that's not it. The pool inside is so so small. It was not as clean. The gym is a joke. I love to use a treadmill and work out at home. The one and only treadmill was broken. Everyone was not so nice. The housekeeping woman was mean. She didn't smile. But my 11 year old son had said that mom the maid need to clean the room. She got very nasty and said it is not maid it is housekeeping in a very rude way . My husband didn't hear what she said and said I am sorry what? She repeated again. I had to bite my tongue and not say anything. Especially since my 11 year old was not trying to be rude. I think the hotel needs more updates. The manager of the hotel was very nice.

Stayed August 2006
1 Thank shelly80
HISHSGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 11, 2006
Hello! Thank you for commenting on your experience while staying with us. I am sorry that you experienced some issues while staying with us; however, I would like to address some of your concerns. To begin, all oceanfront hotels unfortunately have parking restrictions and because of this only one car per guestroom is allowed. We do offer free valet parking in order to make parking as quick and fast as possible. Also, we are competitively priced with the other branded hotels at the oceanfront. All of our guestrooms are oceanfront and we are directly on the boardwalk. I will research the problems you experienced with the treadmill and also the housekeeping issues. Thank you for staying with us and I hope you consider us on your next trip to the beach.
Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 20, 2006

I'm very pleased with the Holiday Inn Surfside. I stayed July 13-17. We couldn't get checked in until 4:15, but that wasn't a big deal.

The rooms were clean, the view was absolutely amazing, and the fireworks outside the hotel over the ocean each night was an extra treat.

Very close to everything, shops, restaurants, ice cream, etc. Worth the money, no complaints, and will stay there again!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coolm19
king george,va
Reviewed June 26, 2006

I reserved late and choices were few on a summer weekend. I looked at TA and took my best chance and it paid off. The Holiday Inn while not special was nicer than I expected, though we made a point not eat to there after the comments here. The room seemed to be in good condition and was decorated more nicely than I had thought. The hotel was full and staff was everywhere one looked during the day. My wife commented to me and I agreed that EVERY single one of them was pleasant... ie they all went out of their way to be pleasant. Our room was dead quiet, despite kids in the next room and a full hotel.

Virginia Beach has done a nice job making the boardwalk area more attractive with better plantings and the like.

While this hotel was better than I expected and very reasonably priced it was not the Mandarin. The staff shared the same elevators, the elevators seemed to have no ventilation let alone AC, the ice maker on my floor was broken (though others in the building worked fine), and they have THREE different parking lots... but the furthest is only one not very long block away and they have a valet. At $400 a night these things would have irritated me, at $169 I saw the glass half full and enjoyed the ocean view and breeze.

Try ILGiardino's on the corner of 10th and atlantic for fairly nice Italian.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business