Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #38 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Good stuff here. Upon arrival, our room was not ready (around 12 noon) and we were told it would be around 4 pm until something would be. We left a number and were called within 30 minutes that they had something for us (bonus points for early check-in!). The parking was ample, the location GREAT, the ocean view perfect. Everything about this hotel worked for us; we did have an issue that was immediately taken care of to our satisfaction by the manager on duty. The breakfast was mediocre, but it worked for us, too (bonus points for offering healthier options like turkey sausage every day). Staff was always very nice and helpful. This is my third stay in Virginia Beach and as long as this hotel is available it will be our choice. The indoor pool could be nicer and we prefer a hotel with a restaurant/lounge on site, but neither of these things would change our decision to stay here again. This place rocks.

Room Tip: We were in 615 - loved it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BillieGirl20
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear BillieGirl20,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for the great 5 Star Review. I am glad to read all of your nice comments, and will be sure to share them with the Team here. We all work hard to ensure that all of our guests have a great experience, and I am glad that we succeeded with your family.

Again, I thank you for your comments, and hope that you will come back soon.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

ms. frances was outstanding and we were very pleased with our stay during June 10-15. Will be coming back to visit with the entire family for the weekend of July 4th. So glad that we moved from the other hotel that we had originally.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

Dear Vanessa,

Thank you for staying with us, and thanks for your very nice review.

I am so happy to hear that you will return for the July 4th weekend, and we will do our best to ensure that you have the same great time.

Thank you, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Neither my mother nor I had ever been to Virginia Beach. I can't imagine staying at a better hotel in a better location than the Holiday Inn Express - Oceanside. Every room has a balcony with a view of the ocean. There is ample parking, and the location is within walking distance of dining and shopping establishments. Our 10th floor room was perfect! The room was clean, and the desk staff and housekeeping staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I will always stay here when I'm in Virginia Beach!

Room Tip: ALL rooms have a great view, but upper floor rooms get less noise from traffic along the bike and wa...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear WSW64,

Thank you for staying with us, and thanks for your great 5 Star Review. I appreciate your kind words and description of the hotel.

We are centrally located on the oceanfront and there are plenty of things to do within easy walking distance of the hotel. Sitting on your private balcony watching the beach and ships in the ocean is pretty special as well.

Thank you again, and we can't wait to host you the next time you come to Virginia Beach.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

I arrived at the Holiday Inn Express @ about 4:30 to be told that there was no room available for me to check into. I had taken all of my luggage out of my car and walked inside before realizing this. I would expect like most hotels they would have offered to check my bags while I wait for my room but no such luck...I had to take everything back to my car and put it back in the trunk. My friend and I took off on foot and perused the boardwalk for about 2 hours and then returned to check in to our room. Yep you guessed....again the room was not available. I asked the front desk person to please let me know when I could get in my room and between her and housekeeping it could not be figured out. Again I left and went to kill more time and finally received a call at 7:16 saying my room was ready. I returned to the hotel to check in after I finished eating at about 8:15 and with the lack of concern for the length of delay I asked to be moved to another property. The night was much better after changing properties. I typically don't stay at Holiday Inn and now I guess I know why. Back to Marriott properties for me. I travel a good bit for work/personal and this is definitely the worst experience I have endured at a hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank R J
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Dear RJ,

Thank you for posting your review. As you know, you and I have been in discussion over several days regarding this incident. Clearly the hotel is at fault, and I apologize for the inconvenience you suffered.

I have made compensation to you for the problems. Once again, I am sorry that this happened to you.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

We just stayed three nights, friday through sunday, and enjoyed the location on the beach, the wonderful breakfast, and the incredible view! We arrived late friday evening and initially put in a room by the elevator. Being a light sleeper, I had requested one away from the elevator. The desk clerk, being new, did not do that initially. But the night manager gave us one, room 902, which was near the top floor and as far away from the elevator as possible. We slept the best we have ever slept in a hotel, because it was so quiet and also due to the super comfortable beds they have! We will be back again soon!

• Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank Itsthebigone
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Dear Itsthebigone,

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Express on the Virginia Beach Oceanfront. Thanks very much for the terrific 5 Star Review that you posted. I am sorry that we did not get you in the right room at first, but happy to hear that the Team took care of you and you were able to relax and sleep well.

It is an almost magical experience to watch the sun rise out of the ocean from your private balcony. Most days we see dolphins swimming by in the mornings adding to the beauty.

I hope that you will come back soon and stay again, we would love to have you. Thanks and we will see you soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Good Morning My husband and 2 kids stayed at this hotel from 5/24/2014 - 5/26/2014. I loved the staff especially the front desk. Ms. Bee was very nice . We had the most delicious hot breakfast which saved us a ton of money . The beds were very comfy and worth every penny. I also had the opportunity to do laundry before I left. The laundry room was small but very clean. Our room was ocean view the hotel is in the middle of every thing . they showed a movie on the beach fire works ext. it was just very relaxing. We had tons of soap ,towels and they even provided tooth bush and tooth paste . It's worth every penny. We will be back .

The pool is a bit small and there are mini stains on the carpet.

Room Tip: There is nothing really at the hotel for kids to do but there is a bike place next door where you ca...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Dear Peaches,

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for the nice review. I am glad that the Team treated you well and I will be sure to show Bee your comments. Our Express Start Breakfast is a great start to the day, and will certainly save a family some money.

I am sorry that there were stains on your carpet, please contact me at the hotel to let me know the room number and I will be sure to clean them.

Thanks again for staying, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

The location of this hotel is very good, it sits right on the beach, but that is really not unique for VA Beach. You get what you expect from for the price, nothing more nothing less. Our room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast, which is included in the price, was okay ... the usual thing you find in thousands of low-price hotel. It's a fine place for a short stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Facsy

Dear Facsy,

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Express, and thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your clean comfortable room. Our location can't be beat, and every room has the same amazing view including a private balcony.

I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon. Thank you