“two days on the beach”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
“two days on the beach”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

i spent 2 nights at this hotel. i got in rather late on the first night and pretty much went to bed. the next day was spent exploring. the hotel was very nice and clean; breakfast was good. my room was wonderful with the oceanfront room. all of the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. the only con for me was that the hot tub is very tiny. probably the smallest one i have ever seen in a hotel. i did get to use it, though, and it was nice and hot. they take the fact that they are a smoke-free property seriously. which i totally loved. one of the reasons i chose this hotel was the smoke-free policy as i am allergic to cigarette smoke.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear NanDianne,

Thanks for staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Virginia Beach. I appreciate you giving us a wonderful 5 Star Review. Every room here has a full ocean view including a private balcony to watch the view of the beach and ocean.

We do take our Non-Smoking policy seriously, and I am glad that you did not have any problems during your stay here.

I hope that you will come back again, we would love to see you on another visit.

Doug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We had an excellent time. The room was perfect for all of us. Loved the balcony looking over the beautiful ocean. The breakfast was unbelievably great! The staff was very friendly. We definitely want to go back.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank greenredtractor
Dear GreenRedTractor,

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for the nice review. I am happy to hear that we met your needs during your visit.

Every room has a full ocean view with the balcony you describe, it is a perfect spot to watch the dolphins swim by, we see them most mornings all year long.

We can't wait for you to come back and stay with us again, and I hope to see you soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Had amazing stay for 2 night stay at Holiday Express. After seeing comments on trip advisor took chance and definitely was very happy with stay. Friendly staff, great breakfast, clean hotel. In short words no complaint, definitely will stay here again and will recommend to family and friends.

Room Tip: Ocean Front Room on 10th Floor, breath taking view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear HKK,

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for the nice review. I am happy to hear that you loved the room with its private balcony overlooking the beach and ocean.

Our Express Start Breakfast is a great way to start the day and we are rolling out new food offerings in the next few weeks.

Thank you again, and I hope that you will return and stay with us again.

Maplewood, NJ
Reviewed April 24, 2014

The hotel is average, a little run down which is expected of a high-traffic property on the beach. The hotel is right on the beach, which is great.

We rented a 1BR 2Queen suite - but got a 2 Double instead. The front desk tried to tell me that all their suites are configured with 2 doubles and I didn't argue. Instead I went to check the hotel's website, and it's clear that they showed 2 queens. This was why I chose the hotel.

The second thing which I should have expected was that the professional (website) picture of the hotel pool was deceiving. I understand that you need to market your hotel and present the best foot forward, but this was a SMALL pool, quite unlike what the picture was intended to show.

In general, the staff we encountered were friendly and professional. I didn't bring these points up to them, as they just work there and this is clearly a management/corporate issue that needs to be resolved.

Beds were not up to par with Holiday Inn Express properties I've stayed at -- the middle of one of the queen beds had a depression which made it quite difficult for two people to sleep comfortably. The dining room chairs were not in good repair - one of them had the seat back upholstery repaired with staples.

Please note that I sent this review in on the Holiday Inn website as well.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank cseleosida
Dear Wilkanoid,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for the review. I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your room accommodations. All of our two bed suites have two DOUBLE Beds, and we advertise that. I just went to holidayinns.com and nowhere does it say that the beds are Queen in the Suite rooms. Please let me know where you saw that and I will be sure to change the listing. Our standard rooms do include two QUEEN Beds.

I have changed the picture of the pool, and would be interested to see your reaction since you were here. Of course we want to advertise our beautiful hotel, but I do not intend to deceive anyone.

Thank you again, and I hope to hear from you.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed here for a few days. There's nothing particularly objectionable about the facility, but walking along Atlantic Avenue, I couldn't help but wonder that others would have provided more amenties at similar prices. In any case, Holiday Inn's architects should be prohibited from every practicing again. With nine floors, there are only two elevators and a constant line in the lobby waiting for one. Worse is that the hotel staff use the same elevators for moving linens, towels, etc from floor to floor while cleaning rooms. There's obviously a need for a service elevator that allows them to do their work and provides guest with more timely access. Why designers wouldn't realize this is probably a function of wanting to maximize room space while disregarding the needs of customers.

While we were there, the hot tub was "closed" for repairs although there were no repairs visibly being done. Otherwise, the breakfast is fine, the rooms are clean. Spring break brought too many noisy youth in tour buses to the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelerDCMD
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were not happy with the design of the building. We are a seasonal beach resort area, and during peak times we occasionaly experience waits for the elevators, but they are minimal.

I am sorry about the hot tub, but there were multiple problems and once one was fixed another part would break. It is working now, but was very frustrating that it took a long time to repair.

Thank you again for your review, and I hope that you will visit again.

Sincerely

Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Stayed here mid-week on a short notice getaway. Decided on this hotel because the rates were fantastic. We were pleasantly surprised by how wonderful the hotel was for the price. All rooms have a beautiful oceanfront view. We loved watching the dolphins swimming from the balcony. The only disappointment was with the breakfast which was ok, but lacked attention. Many items were either cold or needed to be restocked. Otherwise a great, clean property with friendly staff! We look forward to our next stay!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Mike,

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for the great 5 Star Review. As you noted, every room has a full view of the ocean with a private balcony to watch the ships pass. We see dolphins right off the beach almost every morning.

I am sorry that the Breakfast was not satisfactory, we are trying hard to keep our selections hot and fresh, but I will make sure to mention this to our Team.

I hope that you will come back and stay with us again. Thank you

Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last month with my family while I had work done on my house. I had no idea the hotel was so nice. The front desk checked me and my kids in late and even told us the most kid friends restaurants near by for them. Our room was clean and had everything we could possibly need. The view from our private balcony was breathtaking. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast in the morning and the server seemed to really enjoy helping my kids. Thanks for a great stay. I highly recommend!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank etermy
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us, and thanks for the great 5 Star Review. I appreciate hearing your nice commnets. I am pleased that the staff took good care of you and your family.

Every room here has a private balcony with a full view of the ocean, and every guest is treated to our Express Start Breakfast, complimentary every day.

I hope that you will come back and stay with us again. Thank you for your business.