“Great location, okay hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #35 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Great location, okay hotel”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We accidentally booked this hotel, instead of the Holiday Inn North Beach (which is a resort). So I was pretty confused when we got here... however I will try to give it an honest review b/c that was not their fault!
We got in late, around 9pm. There was no where to park. There really were not even any temporary spots (like 15 minute limit) to unload. We checked in and got an upper level room (which was requested and honored). The room seemed clean, even tho it was very warm and the A/C never did work very well. If it had been any hotter we probably would have had to switch rooms, however since we were all so tired I said we would deal (they offered to send maintenance up but this was not going to be a quick fix so I said No thank you.).
There was a kids move (the Lion King) playing on the beach, which is a fun family idea, but while we were excited our room was oceanfront (RIGHT on the beach! yay!) The movie was SO loud that from the top (10th) floor we could hear it w/ our balcony door closed and the a/c on. So no nice waves to enjoy until maybe after 10 when the movie ended.
We popped open the couch bed for the kids, and all the old dirty covers were smashed in there. I removed them and found an extra sheet in the closet, and called for new blankets (which were brought quickly). The bathroom was clean, but there was no soap at all, and no toiletries of any kind. Housekeeping made another trip up with those. The carpet seemed kind of damp (something i've experienced in cheap Florida beach hotels as well).
We walked around to check out the hotel and aside from the breakfast area, there is a small indoor pool and that's all. They did provide a shower for washing off after the beach. It's right on the boardwalk and the beach is very nice.
We decided before we even went to sleep to cancel our next few nights and book at the Holiday Inn on 39th street (the North Beach resort). They were helpful in making sure i would not be charged for the remaining nights and checkout was pretty easy.
The kids enjoyed breakfast, it was very busy. Waffles, sausage, cereal, cinnamon buns, yogurt, fruit, juice, coffee, etc. It was a lot of food. Nice to see the ocean while you ate. Overall everyone was helpful and the price for a weeknight stay was good. For just a little more $ tho you can get a lot more in Virginia beach.

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront, which is great. Remember the sun will rise right into your room, but the c...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

It certainly sounds as if you had an unusual number of problems (primarily that we did not clean your room properly before your arrival) and I am very sorry. That is not the usual standard here and I want to ensure that does not happen again.

Will you please contact me directly to provide more details of your stay? I want to ensure that you are satisfied, and clearly when you left here you were not. The movies on the beach are done by the City, and I am sorry if they disturbed you.

I hope to hear from you soon, and again please accept my sincere apologies.

Doug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Pen Argyl
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Even though the hotel is undergoing some type of renovation we were well pleased. The Oceanfront Suite was very very nice. The staff was very courteous and polite and helpful. Also very congenial. The only small problem appeared to be with the AC...when lowering the temperature, it does not appear as though the temperature in the suite would come down to desired temperature. Would recommend to anyone and may go back again next year.

Room Tip: No real tip, simply request an ocean front suite with sink , fridge and microwave...sort of like a l...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us, and thanks for writing a nice review. We completed most of our renovations this winter, during the slow time. In mid-May we had all of the bathtubs resurfaced, but that project was completed in 5 days. Perhaps you stayed during that time, and if so I hope that you were not inconvenienced.

Please contact me directly to let me know which suite you were in so that we can check the A/C Unit. The suites are very nice, and ideal for families with the firdge and microwave.

Thank you again, and I hope to see you back here soon.

North Woodstock, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

For the last night of our road trip we booked at the Holiday Inn Express right on Atlantic Ave on the ocean at Virginia Beach. While the hotel may not have a fancy restaurant, and the indoor pool was quite small, for the money it was a very good hotel. Clean, courteous staff, let us check in early, ocean front location- all rooms have balconies that overlook the boardwalk, you really can't go wrong, and I love how the HIE wrap their blankets in sheet covers and use top quality bedding and pillows! . We will be leaving early, so can't report on the breakfast, as it starts at 6:30 am, which frankly if we didn't have a 12 drive would be plenty early enough!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for the great review. I am glad to hear that we were able to satisfy you and your family, and I certainly hope you will return and stay with us again.

Too bad that you could not stay for our Express Start Hot Breakfast, free to every guest, but I understand the long trip ahead.

Hope to see you here soon, and thank you again

Mechanicsville, Virginia
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This hotel is oceanfront and all rooms have a direct view of the ocean and the boardwalk. There are plenty of restaurants in walking distance. It's a great location right in the middle of the boardwalk. We went for a long weekend with children. We enjoyed riding a family bike down the boardwalk. There are several playgrounds right on the beach. The hotel has an indoor pool, but the water temperature was very cold although my kids didn't seem to mind. The free breakfast for the whole family helps save money. The room has a mini refrigerator, but there is no in-room safe. We did have issues with drunken college kids screaming in the halls and banging on doors at 2:00 a.m. on more than one night. Overall, the great view and location makes up for any negatives.

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront. They also have suites.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us, and I am glad that you appreciate our location in the heart of the Virginia Beach oceanfront. As you noted, all of our rooms have a private balcony and a full ocean view.

We do not have safes in the rooms, but do provide Safe Deposit boxes in the lobby at no charge. I am sorry about your noisy neighbors, if that happens in any hotel, please call downstairs immediately to let us know. We have security every night, and we try to control noise, evicting people if necessary.

Thank you again, and I hope to see you back here soon.

Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We just returned back from a Mon.-Fri. trip to VA Beach & stayed at your establishment. 5/19-5/24. We found the staff to be so nice & friendly. Everytime they walked past they smiled & said hello. They could not do enough for you. They were all so kind, always talked in the elevators, & gave you that Southern hospitality that they are known for.

Your breakfast e. morn. gave us a great start to the day with such nice variety. The warm sticky buns were delicious. One of the nicest breakfasts we have had at the motels. So great to have the option to eat outdoors as well.

The staff was very informative, kind, helpful, & could not do enough for you. I had asked what would be some nice activities to do on a rainy day & the staff immed. made some suggestions and printed out some ideas for us to take with us.

We would definitely stay again. Thank's for giving us some great memories. The first day we had taken in the dolphins swimming from our balcony and then a double rainbow appeared. What a sight from the balcony Oceanfront! LOVED IT! Keep up the great work Holiday Inn Express. You surely did IMPRESS!

J. Frawley PA

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for posting the great review. I am thrilled to hear that my team was able to take care of you and your family.

It sounds like you have some great memories from this trip, and I hope that you will return. I can't always promise a double rainbow, but we do watch the dolphins almost every morning from the breakfast room.

Thank you again, and I hope to host you back here soon.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Although late check-in (4PM) and limited parking spaces gave me a skeptical first impression, I have to say that a balcony with an unobscured ocean view makes up for the hassle.
My 7th floor room was clean and quiet, the elevators were prompt, the housekeeping staff
was friendly and helpful, free breakfast was generous, business center was well maintained and had a working printer, with 24 hr access. Their laundry room had only one dryer and one washer, but I did get in to use it, with complementary detergent, on a Saturday morning. The room had a fridge and a flatscreen, and free wifi, covering all the required amenities. The place is at a great location, right on the beach at 2607 Atlantic Ave, walking distance
to attractions and restaurants and shopping. Take the umbrella and raincoat, cause the VA weather can be sudden and dramatic.

Room Tip: There were a lot of kids in the hotel, so I was glad that I had a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Savvygal23
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate you taking the time to write a review. I am glad to hear that the team here was able to satisfy you and that you enjoyed your stay.

All of our rooms have the private balcony that you describe, and the view from there can be magical, watching the ocean in all of its glory. Most days we see dolphins swim by, and there are plenty of birds and other activity going on.

I hope that you will come back and stay with us again. Thank you for your business.

Staunton
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We made advance reservations online. Upon check-in we were given a room on the 3rd floor. We immediately noticed that the fitted bottom sheet did not fit the bed but it was made up anyway with a necked corner left on the king bed. We also noticed as we looked around that the carpet had not be well vacuumed and there was toothpaste (or something like it) on the shelf in the bathroom below the sink. Then we noticed that there was no clock and no luggage rack. We reported all this to the front office and asked for another room. We were told they were booked, but we went to Holiday Inn online and it indicated that they did indeed have availability. The front desk sent someone to our room with a clock and luggage rack and a sheet that fit the bed. We thought we would have gotten an apology from management (we are Priority Club members) but that did not happen.

Room Tip: This hotel is located on the boardwalk which is wonderful. But, if you want to leave your patio doo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your stay here recently, and thank you for posting your comments here. I am very sorry that your room was not up to my specifications when you checked in. There is not excuse for the items that you mention, and I am sorry that you had to request them from us.

A Member of the management team should have contacted you during your stay to ensure that you were satisfied with your room. If you will contact me directly, I will certainly do what I can to ensure your satisfaction. Thank you again, and please accept my sincere apologies.