WINNER WONDERLAND

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #34 of 108 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Excellent hotel wanted to stay another week!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel was perfect! The staff was exceptional and very friendly and helpful. The General Manager even assisted with ideas of places to see while here at the beach. It was a true family of hospitality that made the stay so much more than the normal hotel stay. The hotel offers wonderful amenities, nice and clean and the suite was beautiful. The breakfast was so delicious as was the coffee! This is the hotel for anyone looking to truly relax, take walks on the beach, convenient to everything you want to do at the beach. You know you have to check out and go back to reality but you dont want to. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for posting a review. I am glad to hear that you had a great stay with us and that the team here helped you to enjoy your visit.

The beach in the shoulder months is beautiful and not crowded, I am glad that you had a chance to relax here. I hope that you will come back and visit again soon, and I thank you for your business.

Doug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at the HI Express Oceanfront at the tail end of Spring Break (for another event). The hotel sits right on the boardwalk - a fantastic location to get right out on the beach - and on the upper end of Atlantic Ave. The room rate was okay, though I felt a touch expensive for a three-star property with minimal amenities. This may have been a function of it being the tail end of Spring Break, or not, tough to say. That said, there are several hotels in the area that charge more for less, as well as those that charge less. Given the number of hotels in the area, definitely shop around. We had a King room with an ocean view on the 9th floor. The view was spectacular. The room was okay. Most of it had been renewed fairly recently, with the exception of the carpet which could have used a good cleaning and the bathroom which was a bit gray and grungy (one of the towels appeared to have an old blood stain on it as well). Nice to have a small fridge and coffeemaker in the room, though we were only given decaf coffee. Bed was really hard though. The first night was surprisingly quiet given the number of people in the hotel (and judging by the number of people at breakfast the next morning, there were a lot). The second night was less so with my husband being woken up at 4:30 by loud TV watching next door. Across the board, the staff were very nice even in the face of the aforementioned breakfast crowds. Wi-fi was good for the most part, but kept kicking us out and forcing us to re-enter our credentials. The indoor pool was on the small side (and infested with kids) and the Jacuzzi was broken. Breakfast was decent - nothing spectacular, but filling and on both days had something my non-Pork-eating husband could eat. Do try the automatic pancake machine at breakfast. What a hoot to have a machine that looks like a printer pop out two decent pancakes in just a few minutes!

Room Tip: Any of the oceanfront rooms will give you a great view. The higher floors will put you above some o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelingCAGirl
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us last week, I appreciate you taking the time to post your review. Overall it sounds like you enjoyed your stay, but you did give me a few things to work on, and I am sorry that we did not completely satisfy you and your group.

It was a very busy weekend, and I am sorry if your sleep was disturbed by others. Please be sure to let us know (or any other hotel) and we will take care of the noise right away. We want all of our guests to enjoy their visit with us.

I hope that you will return here again, we will have our exclusive Pancake Machine ready for your next trip.

Springfield, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

The hotel is situated almost in the middle of the 3 mile boardwalk. Before and after the season they always offer good deals. We've been here a few times. I don't like the pool, because of its location right behind the reception area and next to the elevators. Everybody has to pass by it and it is always packed with kids. So I have never had the urge to use it. Also the hotel has only 2 elevators which are shared by house keeping and guests. That can get crowded and unpleasant. I really liked the mattress and the pillows which are marked firm, medium and soft. LCD TV in the room! The bathroom sink was pretty but not so the tub. I still can't figure why there is no hand held shower head in any hotel in the U.S., house keeping would appreciate this just as much as the guests, I'm sure!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us, and I hope that you are a member of the IHG Priority Club if you stay with us often. You can earn free nights at thousands of hotels around the world. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of the hotel. I am sorry that you don't like the pool, but we also have the Atlantic Ocean right outside the door.

All of our bathtubs will be resurfaced before the end of May, I know that a few of them are showing their age. I am sorry that you were inconvenienced by that. We do have hand held showers in a few of our rooms, but the majority do not. Ask about one the next visit and we can probably get you into one of those rooms.

Thank you again, and I hope to see you back here soon.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Spent just 1 night here during a trip through Va. Hotel has a great location, as do many others in the area, right on the beach, dont have to cross the highway to get to the beach, just exit the lobby and your on the boardwalk and beach. Large wide beach in front of hotel. Many restaurants in the area as well, many within walking distance altough you will likely want a car to drive to different sites. Rooms were a bit dated, but clean and tidy. Bed and linens were comfortable providing a good nights sleep. Front desk staff were efficient and recognized our Priority Club membership with a lil gift of bottled water and cookies. Parking is self park. Parking area directly in front of hotel is small but close adjacent parking lots for this hotel exist as well.

Room Tip: Book early, but check rates often for best rate. We modified our reservation 2X as we neared our dat...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and thanks for posting a good review. I am happy to know that we met your needs, and that you enjoyed your stay. The ocean view is great, and the City has just finished a massive beach renourishment, making the beach much wider and adding lots of sand.

We love taking care of our valued Priority Club members, and I hope that you will return and stay with us again.

Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I went here on a much needed weekend get away and it was awesome. We were given a beautiful room overlooking the ocean. Clean and efficient. There were even horses in a make shift coral on the beach, which we were able to see from our room. You can take horse rides that you could take there. The breakfast was delicious and plenty of. The staff there were very friendly. Especially Tricia at the front desk. Thank you for a relaxing weekend Holiday Inn.

2 Thank mamastaats
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for posting a review. I am glad to hear that you were satisfied with your stay All of our rooms have a full ocean view with private balcony.

I hope that you will come back to visit again soon. Spring is (finally) here and we are ready for your next visit.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay here for the weekend after getting a great rate on travelzoo. The room is nice, clean and updated. The view was spectacular. I used the gym which was small but sufficient. Thank you for being accessible 24/7. The continental breakfast left something to be desired. Wouldn't feel too bad about skipping it and sleeping in instead. My only major complaint was that housekeeping skipped our room to service. Didn't return to the room after being gone all day until late; so was too tired to call them and bother.

1 Thank NurseMel9
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and I am glad that you found that great rate on TravelZoo. That rate will be open until April 10, with stays until the end of May. I hope that you will try us again.

I am sorry to hear that we did not clean your room for you. We always have someone available until 11 PM, so we would have been happy to bring you what you need. Please accept my apologies, and I hope that you will try us again. We certainly try to clean every room every day and I am sorry that yours was skipped.

Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

We only stayed one night. Love it. We stayed in a two room suite. Beds and pillows were great. Great ocean view. Loved breakfast too. The indoor pool is small but I assume if you stay during the summer you wont be inside.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerHIExp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay here, and I am glad to hear that you loved your experience with us. I appreciate you posting the great review here, and I hope that you will come stay with us again.

The weather is warming, the City has just completed a massive beach widening project, and we are ready for the summer.

Thank you again, and I hope to see you soon.