Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
GreenLeadersBronze level
Concord, Virginia
“Total disappointment”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I like to think I am not a 'difficult' customer. I work in the service industry and understand how, no matter how hard you try, cannot make certain customers happy. It took a lot for me to write this review but I hope it will help someone else avoid a disappointing stay at this hotel.

My family and I travel travel to Va beach at least every couple of years and thought we knew what hotels to avoid. We never minded paying a little more to ensure we book clean accomodations with professional service. We never thought a staple name, in the hotel industry, like Holiday Inn would be so poorely managed. In this case, it was the Holiday Inn Express on 26th Street.

Let's start at the beginning: We checked in and upon our ritualistic checkover of the room, we found the bathroom had hair on the floor, the tub looked like it had not been thoroughly cleaned and towels were randomly laying in places you wouldn't expect. The bed sheets had spots, and hair on them as well, and the floor didn't appear to be vacuumed. We promptly asked the front desk if housekeeping could come back and clean while we took in the beach for a couple of hours. It was decided that they would just offer us another room.

The next room was better and we decided we could make this one work. All seemed okay at this point but we were so wrong... I attempted to sign into the Internet to find out that connection did not work (However, it did connect several hours later). I called and asked if I was doing something wrong and the front desk said it sounded like it wasn't me and would contact "maintenance" about it. I never received any follow-up and discovered it was working on my own.

My son (who was looking forward to the indoor pool) decided to take a dip around 8pm that night and instantly got back out due to the water being so cold that it had him trembling.

By this time we were ready to just shower and call it a night but nooo....after getting into the shower we were looking for washcloths but couldn't find. I go back downstairs (again) to be informed that housekeeping "...did not wash the washcloths, so you will need to use hand towels". Really? I'm thinking if you know this, then what is your alternative? Again, all they could recommend was using big -- hand towels!

Of course, there is no manager available until morning. I thought an establishment of this size would have a "shift manager" available. So we are awaiting to see if we can pay for the one night and be reimbursed for the remaining 2 nights we prepaid for online. I don't expect this to happen but I'm gonna remain optmistic that rationale will prevail.

Sorry to have to write this but this has been a true disappointment for me and my family. I hope Holiday Inn management will read this and make some much needed changes to this facility.

The only reason for the 2 star rating rather than a 1 is because of guy named "Milton" who worked the entire time we were there (utility person). He seemed to be the only one who truly cared about making us comfortable. Thanks Milton.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Keith P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
Keith P,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Fredericksburg, VA
Reviewed March 28, 2012

This hotel was on the "recommended hotels" list provided by the Shamrock Marathon website and chose it because it was 5 blocks from the start line. There was a two night minimum - which is fine as you have many things to accomplish before a race. We arrived late on Friday, March 16th in the pouring rain. Even with the volume of people checking in the staff was very welcoming and polite. Our room was located on the 6th floor and that was awesome, because there were windows in the hallway which allowed us to view the particiants in the 8k on Saturday morning! The room was very nice and comfortable. The balcony is oceanside - so it was nice to sit out there and watch the waves come in on Saturday morning. We were also able to cheer the 8k particiants as they ran along the boardwalk. The breakfast was great!! They had a wide variety of items to choose from. On that Sunday - my race day - they even had fresh bananas and other fruit to choose from. That was nice, because I had forgotten to bring bananas! Overall, we would definately stay there again. There were restaurants and shops within walking distance. The staff was wonderful and friendly. No complaints here!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 1sillymomma
26thstreet, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 28, 2012
Thank you for your kind words posted to Trip Advisor. We push to make every stay the best it can possibly be.
The Marathon is definitely one of our most unique events in the area and look forward to the variety of guests it brings. We hope to see you return for the event next year and hope you stay with us again.

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I travel often and spend about 175 nights a year in hotels. I have made this the hotel of choice for my family vacation for the last 8 years straight. They staff including management, front desk and housekeeping have always been amazing. I place a high value on service, anyone can build a building. The property has gotten even better after the rennovation to HI Express and the free breakfast buffet is amazing for saving money when you are hauling 6 kids with you. Anyone who complains about the breakfast is simply being unrealistic with their expectations. The buffet includes eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, cinnamon rolls, fruit, fresh made waffles, cereal and more.

I have increased my block of rooms over time from one room to five this year. My family and extended family are already excited for the late June pilgrimmage to one of our favorite places in the country. With perfect ocean views from each room, free breakfast and great service you cannot go wrong here.

Thanks to Adam and his staff for our previous adventures and looking forward to seeing you all again this year.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view but I have never had a bad room here
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank jcam222
Thank you for your continued patronage to the Holiday Inn Express Virginia Beach. We appreciate our return guests and thank you for all your kind words. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next stay the very best.

Milton, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2012

we stayed at the holiday inn express in virginia beach for 5 nights in july 2011, we are planning another trip this coming july and plan on staying at the holiday express again...
we love the breakfast, it is free and there is good variety that even my 3 picky kids can enjoy and even the yogurt was gelatin free or kosher so we could eat it..please keep it this way!! my kids loove yogurt!
the location is great, it is right on the boardwalk a beautiful place for a morning jog and an evening stroll...the beach is just few steps away....all rooms have a nice view of the ocean..so we could sip our morning coffee with a nice view of the ocean and there were dolphins jumping around every morning...
there is coffee available all day long in the puplic area, which was great for my husband...the staff were friendly...
our only complaint was that the balcony door was hard to open and close...it was ok when i didnt want my 2 yo son going out, but it was annoying when we wanted to go out....
we did have to park the car few blocks away, but we did not need the car, the beach, dining and lots of shops were a walking distance away...
We are all excited to go there again, the drive, the hotel, the ocean!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank samantha k
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel on your most recent stay. We enjoy all your great comments and look forward to your return trip. Please contact us with any requests for your next stay.

Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed March 12, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express this past weekend - the hotel presents nicely and does have a very welcoming front desk staff. Every employee we bumped into, whether maintenance, maid service or other, had a big hello for us - and that was so nice to see! Our room was clean and bright, surprisingly so, given the thick film of dirt on the balcony door. Paper towel and Windex would have done wonders for our ability to see the incredible view beyond those windows! Cable seemed to offer a limited channel selection, and suffered from really grainy reception on most. For the first time ever, in any hotel we have ever stayed in, we couldn't hook up a Play Station to the television set. Parking is extremely limited for a hotel of this size – we had to park a second vehicle 4 blocks down the road in a public lot, and at a fee. Leaving the car so far away from the propery wasn't very comforting. The biggest issue, though, had to be the water pressure, or lack thereof. The sink and the toilet had incredible pressure; the tub and shower, where that would be most important, had none -a mere trickle from the showerhead, and if taking a bath is your thing, forget it! Some rooms in our block were lacking a shower curtain, but given the water pressure, they probably weren’t necessary anyway. Unfortunately water temperature is also a problem – the water went from boiling hot to freezing cold in a matter of seconds, and never warmed up again. All of the things noted are part and parcel of guest comfort and until they are addressed, I just don't think I could consider this hotel for my next stay at the beach.

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront - view is not an issue - a room at the end of the hall, away from the eleva...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Anonymous3395
26thstreet, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Thank you so much for your comments on Trip Advisor. We use these comments to better the property and better each guests stay. I will definitely look into the issues you have mentioned on your last stay, and hope that you will try us again in the future.
Thank you again, and we hope to see you soon.

Charlottesville
Reviewed March 1, 2012

This hotel really is great and the staff are very friendly. Breakfast was surprisingly nice and the room was clean and well kept. The first thing I did when I got in was to open my balcony door and soak in the ocean air. Unfortunately, this let in about thirty tiny flies (instantly) and I stubbed my toe over the protruding doorway lip to the balcony. I wish the desk would have mentioned these two things at check-in, neither should be a deterrent though just keep them in mind. Really, a lovely place with a great rate (I came in late Feb. so off-season pricing was nice). Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will absolutely choose this hotel again for a return visit :) The plumbing can be a little noisy (you'll know when someone around you flushes the toilet through the noise in the walls) but that's how it goes in most hotels.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chelsea K
I’m glad you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. We are always looking to improve our product, as well as the services here at the property. I will mention the balcony doorway thresholds to the desk supervisor so that they can bring it up at check in. They are unfortunately a necessary evil with wet and sandy conditions.
Thank you again, and we hope to see you soon.

New Jersey
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel a few years ago with a bunch of friends. The price was right and the location/rooms were great. The pool/jacuzzi was very nice also. Holidays Inn is definitely my favorite 3 star hotel and this was one of the nicest ones I have stayed at.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
I’m glad you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. We definitely appreciate the kind words and hope you get the chance to stay with us in the future.