“Good Burgers” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Virginia
“Good Burgers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

We went on a Thursday night, around 7:30pm. The outside seating was full, but there were plenty of spots available inside. Our waitress, Dayna, was fantastic. She was very friendly, and interracted a lot with us, without being obtrusive. She knew about the menu, and gave her opinion on things. I like that. It's good to know what's been tried and enjoyed! I don't remember the names of the burgers ordered, but some were just their regular burger, and one of our boys ordered a bacon cheeseburger with an egg on it <$13> (known by our hometown locals as a Cheesy Western from Texas Tavern). He said it was excellent. Two people who ordered the same type of burger, ordered them cooked diffeerently, and that came switched, but it was no big deal. My husband said it had more pink than he liked, but it didn't moo, so it was good. :) He upgraded ($2) to onion rings. There were only six of them, but he said they were really good. I had a Cesaer salad, which was very good ($9 - a bit pricey for a salad with no meat, but it was good).

We liked the location. We would have preferred sitting on the enclosed patio, but we still had a great view of Rudee Inlet and the boats that were docked from inside.

It was a good meal. No complaints.

LOOK IN THE COUPON BOOKS under the T's for a 10% off bill coupon! (It wasn't easy to find because I was looking for Burger Bar) It isn't much, but it's something!! :)

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank NursyOnVacation

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a delicious experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

My wife and I went to the burger bar friday night of memorial day weekend. Surprisingly it wasn't to busy so we were seated immediately. Our server came right over and offered us cocktails, draft beers, milkshakes, or a Pepsi product. Very knowledgeable young lady. She said she had been there since the place opened so she gave us the ins and out of the menu. Recommended about 6 items and described any we had questions about. My wife ended up getting the hatch green chili burger which was priced wrong on the menu. Only $10 not $17 which the waitress had told us. She just loved it! She got Parmesan truffle fries as her side and those were also delicious. They had a special running that night of a stuffed salmon over rissoto and grilled asparagus which our server made sound so good I had to try, even though my intent was to go for a burger. Best thing I've ever eaten! Cooked to perfection! Mouth-watering just writing about it was so good. Cocktails were spot on, food was delicious, service was the best she really made our visit enjoyable, and to top it all off we got a chocolate banana and peanut butter milkshake! We will definitely be back!!!!!!!!

1 Thank Scottymbreads
Kitchener, Canada
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

Was recently in Virginia Beach and a local took us to TJ's for a mid afternoon lunch.

We arrived at the restaurant at 3;00 on a Thursday afternoon and we were the only patrons in the place. Found that very bizarre.

The location is nice, right on the water (not the beach) overlooking all the boats. We sat inside though in the back section away from the bar area as we needed a large table for 10. There is a very large out door seating area overloking the water which would be nice on a warm sunny day.

Service was obviously good as we were the only ones here.

I ordered the FUN GUY burger.... A play on words as it is a mushroom and, cheese, burger. A few others had tried it as well.... The burgers are tasty but was expecting them to be larger (meat portion).... But I did enjoy it. I ordered the sweet potatoe fries as my side and they were deep fried perfectly... nice and crispy..... There were 10 of us and 9 had burgers and the one odd duck ordered an Omellette of all things..... Anyways he said it was not very good at all.... Serves him right going to burger joint and getting eggs. :)

Overall the group seemed satisfied with their burgers and I didn't hear any negative comments but didn't hear any RAVE reviews either....

Definitely a comfort food destination and worth trying once to form your own opinion as everyone has different expectation levels on a burger.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Mike S
Va Beach
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Another 1 Bites the Dust”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

I'm a Local Guy that Loves a good burger. This should be the perfect spot for me?

As I pull up to a somewhat empty lot, I wonder why nobody is here @ 7:30pm mid-week with semi-good weather. I am greeted by the Bartender turned around Texting her friends about how dead it is. I interupted her by telling her I'm going to the outside bar, she showed a poor attitude towards me either because I wasn't ordering through her or I interupted her text msg?

I ordered a Popular Burger Item off the Menu, The Bacon Egg & Cheese Burger Med Rare no side.

I got the wrong burger, the bartender said that he must of hit the wrong button. One of the cooks came out and said she could put an egg on it if I wanted? I ordered it , so I kind of wanted it because it sounded right up my alley, that's why I ordered it in the 1st place. They took it back and cooked an egg topping asap.

I ended up getting a Mid Well burger w/ a greesy egg on top. I received a mound of french fries that I didn't want on my plate(NO SIDE).

There was no attention to detail. I am not picky, All I wanted was a MR popular burger that was on the menu. I'm sure this property is losing money hand over fist judging by my simple recent experience. I heard Burger Bar already had shut down, but I think they are still hanging by a string.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jeff b
alexandria, va
“Not bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

I had been reading all the hype about this place for months which is why we finally decided to go. It was a Sunday afternoon around 2:30-3:00 pm, and the place was pretty much empty except for a very loud group of people out on the deck. We decided to sit inside as far from the noise as we could get, but their exuberance spilled over into the restaurant since the doors to the deck were left open.

The menu had a lot of interesting choices on it, but I decided to stick with a burger because I'd read so much about them. I had the bacon burger, and my husband had a tuna melt.

The smoked salmon appetizer was good, even though my husband pulled a long brown hair out of the portion on his plate. When the food came, my burger was surprising cool--as in temperature--which I thought was strange since there was hardly anyone in the place. It was a little on the dry side and stunningly average. The onion rings were tasty. My husband thought the tuna in his sandwich was very dry and asked for some mayo to moisten it a bit, which he said helped.

Would we go back? No. There are other places in Virginia Beach that do this type of food much better.

• Visited April 2012