“Real Spanish food”
Review of Restaurante Ole!

Restaurante Ole!
Ranked #282 of 1,418 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Watertown South Dakota, USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Real Spanish food”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Fell in love with this place, great specials. The owner manuel is wonderful and a great host. A full bar, with lots of flat screens to keep you entertained.

Visited September 2013

Columbus, Ohio
“Great Mexican Food”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Very pleasant atmosphere and staff. We went for lunch and the food was excellent. Prices were comparable to other Mexican restaurants. I was raised in Texas and this was as good as most, but not all of the places where I have have eaten over the years. When I compare Ole to all the places I have eaten it is certainly above the pack but not in the top tier; hence the 4 star rating. Would definitely go back next time we are in the area and we recommended it to our family in Virginia Beach.

• Visited October 2013
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Fabulous Tex Mex”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Fabulous dinner place, great ambiance lots of food and a great place to watch the Giants Loose on those large flat screen TVs

Visited October 2013
Welcome, North Carolina
“Should Not Be in the Top 20”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

When my wife and I visited Restaurante Ole, it was ranked by tripadvisor as the #3 dining establishment in Virginia Beach. Since then it has slipped to #19, but should be rated much, much lower.

We arrived at lunch to find an ordinary Mexican-style restaurant, no worse than all those others that dot every American cityscape, but certainly no better. We were seated promptly (the restaurant was practically empty at 1:00 PM) and were presented with a finely chopped, cilantro free salsa and a mystery white sauce to accompany our obligatory basket of tortilla chips. I have eaten (and prepared) salsas for years and have never, ever encountered one without cilantro or cumin. These herbs are practically the soul of Mexican cuisine. About the white sauce, all our server could tell us was that it contained mayo, sour cream, and chopped chilis. I later discovered that this condiment is unique to the Virginia Beach area, and I hope it stays there; it was blander than ranch dressing.

The menu was extensive, and we made our choices based on recommendations in previous reviews. I chose carnitas ($12.25) and my wife selected the mixed (chicken and beef) fajitas ($10.99). Both plates contained plenty of stuff, and some of it was actually edible if not very appetizing. My wife's fajita mixture came on the traditional sizzling cast iron serving tray. Her chicken bits were cooked just past tenderness but were still easy on the teeth, but her beef strips could have qualified as jerky if they had just had a little flavor. My carnitas, six cubes of pork 1 1/2 inches on a side, were plentiful, but only one small section of one of those cubes was tender enough to shred and all were devoid of flavor. Well-prepared carnitas should be fall-apart tender with a crisp glaze and that's the way I have had them elsewhere.

Our sides also deserve comment. We both got small salad of shredded lettuce (brown on the edges) and a slice of supermarket tomato (pale orange and mealy) with dabs of sour cream and bland guacamole and a serving of refried beans so soupy that they dribbled between the tines of our forks. Our ice teas were ordinary but cost us $2.28 each!

The windows of this establishment are littered with awards from the local press. And they are still ranked the second-best Mexican restaurant in Virginia Beach on tripadvisor. I just don't get it.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Bren B
Elkhart, Indiana
“#1 Mexican food on our list”
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

This is the best Mexican food we've ever eaten. Well worth the 20 min drive from Virginia Beach. Get the carnitas you wont be dissapointed: the pork is served in moist flavorful chunks. Most places dice the pork to bitsy pieces then fry it, leaving it dried out. Our whole family was pleased with their menu selection. Kids got tacos and quesadilla. My dear husband said the tostadas were just as he ordered with beans and chicken and the tostada was crisp (unlike mushy in most Mexican restaurants). Service was a bit slow but no worries with plenty of chips, salsa and margaritas. Oh yeah, the salsa is perfect smooth consistancy with no cilantro. And yes, Wednesday is half price if you pay cash. Woo-hoo!

Visited July 2013